I.A.M Jaguar diver: London to Bath in 1963

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
In the days before the M4

[YOUTUBE]JE82FZpq0qM[/YOUTUBE]

How times have changed and not just how people speak :)

Last edited:
Flashing headlights and sounding his horn to overtake on then M-Way...good stuff.

Renault - I spotted my error, but not quite in time, eh? :eek:

Actually, having watched this a couple of times now, the most interesting thing to me is the almost complete absence of foreign vehicles. In all the traffic filmed, there is only one non-British vehicle - the Heinkel or Messerschmitt 'bubblecar'.

There was a Renault Dauphine about Marlborough I think... mere coincidence.

I think that the bubble car in Bristol is actually a BMW Isetta. It looks like twin rear wheels which would make it a Beemer!!

The I.A.M. produced a film titled, "Journey Without Incident." Not ever having seen it, is this film the one?

Interesting how the roads were like in the 1960s.

National speed limit on the A4 near the airport, now it's a 40 limit with a bus lane! M4 was two lanes until it stopped at Maidenhead at the time.

Actually, having watched this a couple of times now, the most interesting thing to me is the almost complete absence of foreign vehicles. In all the traffic filmed, there is only one non-British vehicle - the Heinkel or Messerschmitt 'bubblecar'.

I was about to make the same comment , having watched it a couple of times . People seemed to be that much more patriotic back then : watch any cold war film set in Germany of the same period and the roads are populated with Mercs,VW's etc just the same .

There is still some good advice in that video we can all take note off. Keeping distance, not getting involved in races etc on the road, observation.

Its remarkable to be honest how similar it is to modern day driving.

There is still some good advice in that video we can all take note off. Keeping distance, not getting involved in races etc on the road, observation.

Its remarkable to be honest how similar it is to modern day driving.

The speed, the acceleration, the congestion, the number of road signs, road markings. :rolleyes:

The hand signals :D

I would love to be back in the 70's, when I first started driving. So much easier to drive 'at the limit'

Weird watching them drive the wrong way down what are now one way streets in Bath.

The I.A.M. produced a film titled, "Journey Without Incident." Not ever having seen it, is this film the one?

It is indeed: those are the final three words of the commentary.

I suspect the driver in the red Triumph must have been a plant to help them make a point. What's the betting that the Rapier driver was as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom