Is anyone dreading being the subject of a thread here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeeJayW

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S205 C250d AMG Line Premium Plus
Given that there are no perfect drivers and that we all have differing opinions on the driving of others. Is anyone dreading being cited on the forum as 'driving like a loon', when all we thought we were doing is 'making progress'?

I overtook a string of cars the other evening. All were like sheep following someone just bumbling along at 40-45 mph. None showing interest of overtaking, even on reasonable straights. So on a long straight, I went past them all (followed all the way by an Audi Q5, who was also keen to get on with it). I'm pretty sure that from the bumbling driver's perspective, I would have been perceived as a tear-****. I don't of course think I did anything wrong or overly aggressive.

One man's assertive driving style is another's crazy idiot.

As far as I am aware there's nothing wrong with overtaking a string of cars as long as it's done safely.

You will not be branded a 'loon' simply for doing this.

You will however be awarded with that title if the field of vision was insufficient to allow for a safe manoeuvre, or you had to pass the slower cars at an unacceptable speed, or cut sharply back into the lefthand lane in front of another car... this sort of thing.

So was it both legal and safe? If so I don't see an issue.

Without knowing the exact road layout- two way traffic?- and speeds involved its impossible to judge, but it sounds very like the preamble to many a fatal accident enquiry. The aspect I would focus on would be the accident phenomenon of the "unsighted driver " There could be several in the scenario you describe.:eek:

Well I'm not getting into any further analysis of the example I posted. Let's assume it was safe and legal from an advanced motorist viewpoint, falling within the definition of making progress.

My query is how much of statements like 'he was driving like a loon' come down to perception of the other driver and whether any of us that have an assertive driving style might end up subject of a thread here.

The other scenario is .A little further along you swerve to avoid an animal in the road (which runs off , no evidence) and the Audi driver is long gone you have your accident all alone.

The coroners report will state that 14 witnesses (remember them , the bimblers) saw you racing with an Audi (never identified) just moments before you died. Of course none of them saw the actual moment of the crash or the animal, but that means nothing these days. The police will be happy to just write it off as another example of dangerous driving/without due care and attention and let your insurer's deal with the rest.

No you weren't racing just 2 cars overtaking a line of slower cars. But that is not what will be recorded. This is the kind of thing that happens when some of us have high powered bikes and/or cars, we KNOW we can overtake or make quicker 'progress' safely in a place where in a much less powerful vehicle it would be dangerous. But not everyone sees it that way.

Drive safe :thumb:

IMHO ....The Audi driver may be perceived to be more than a " loon " for :-
1. Just following you like a sheep and not relying on his own clear view of the road ahead. You might have spotted a motorcyclist coming towards you, which you had taken into account when overtaking. Whats the Audi driver to do? force his way into the traffic he is overtaking ( as above ^ per Markjay's post) or collide with the motorcyclist. Both at best reckless and possible lethal consequences.
2. For driving an Audi !

Steve

Interesting that you guys are pretty much all responding to the example given and not to the actual question being asked.

FWIW, I do consider myself to be a safe driver, but that's not the point of this thread.

Basically we all judge the driving of others. How do you think other drivers would judge your driving?

I don't judge any driver by one incident, we all make mistakes and the incident could be a one off. I don't agree with posting video's online either unless it is blatant negligent driving. It amazes me the number of YT video's where the person with the video is swearing and gesticulating at others when I didn't see much wrong other than the aggressive manner of the person taking the video.

It's the culture that we now live with every day. Prior to 'dash cams' becoming fag packet money, people just had to talk about the "idiot" that overtook them. Now they have proof at their fingertips, and it's in HD, full color, with sound effects.

Remember when the very first "real life" Police Chase videos wee made public? They were the talk of the town "did you see that on telly last night?" Now it is not worthy of a mention as we have our very own version in our cars.......and I do too.

I have dash cams in both our daily drivers, both front & rear dual cams on a perpetual recording loop. I have never once in several months of ownership, felt the need to review the footage (thank goodness) or to post the footage on Facecloth or YouPuke.

But I bought the camera's after we fell victim to unwanted road rage (driver prosecuted) on the M26 in Kent when just minding our own business. That scared us and for that reason only, I went out the next day and bought two of the best, evidence quality, dual camera's I could find.

It's all about perception. Years back, coming home from work, I overtook an old lady doing 40 on a 60 country road, on a clear straight bit. I didn't go past 60, I didn't need to. At the next corner a car came round halfway over on my side. I will always remember his face, as he looked up from fiddling with something in the passanger footwell. Big accident, write offs etc. Police were called and from road evidence (gouges, skids), could not determine fault.

It ended up being paid out 50-50 even though it was completely his fault, as the lady told the police I had been speeding. I categorically had not, but could not prove it, before the days of GPS dash cams.

Perhaps depends on where on the passive aggressive spectrum they lie?

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/passive-aggressive-road-rage

Chill, you did nothing wrong.

If those in the queue didn't want to overtake then they should leave room between them and the car in front to allow safe overtaking. That way you could pull in safely if you needed to.

And no, I don't worry about being cited here or any other fora.

I overtake on a stretch of road near to my home nearly every day, there's a longish straight with a nice view which the old grunters around here love looking at while dawdling along.
Some seem to accept it while others flash their lights once I am past.

I'd be delighted to see a video, I bet I look ACE.

Chill, you did nothing wrong.

If those in the queue didn't want to overtake then they should leave room between them and the car in front to allow safe overtaking. That way you could pull in safely if you needed to.

And no, I don't worry about being cited here or any other fora.
Oh I am chilled. Just wondered how others felt about their driving, more than seeking opinion on mine (though I always appreciate feedback... honest :) )

Personally, I always pull back to allow an overtaker safe return to the lane ahead of my car, regardless of how much of a pr1ck he or she was to begin with...

Apart from the moral aspect, when a mad overtaker is faced with a the choice between a head-on with a 10tn lorry and swerving into me, I know what the overtaker would choose... i.e. it will not end well, regardless of who is ultimately found to be at fault on the police report.

But sadly I am not sure everyone is like that... a mad overtaker will eventually meet one of these charterers that see red mist when they are being overtaken... and then it's curtains for both and possibly some others.

Reminds me when we were coming from a trip to Scotland not long ago and you wouldn't believe the number of cars trailing behind caravans... a few dozens at a time. Not one of them (non-caravan drivers) gave a toss about all the drivers stuck behind them, unable to overtake a convoy. I didn't have the time to look back and see what gestures they were giving me as I was passing them at full tilt, not that I cared. I did manage to get back home in a few hours though not days.

You will not be branded a 'loon' simply for doing this.

I 100% bet he will - by some people. I'd bet that, even if he had full visibility, and there was no risk, there will have been more than one person in that queue of traffic who swore to themselves about that maniac overtaking dangerously. Most people seem to think that exactly how they drive is the line, and anyone who drives quicker is a lunatic. I have been beeped at before for overtaking a single car, with no oncoming traffic, and slotting into a space they had left which was 10 cars long. No risk, no effect whatsoever on the other car, but they were enraged at my actions.
On the other hand, there are plenty of people who do drive like lunatics and seem to think they have everything under control. (These people of course being anyone who drives faster than me - see earlier point :D )

All that said - I am quite hesitant about overtaking more than two cars at a time. It only takes one of those cars to suddenly decide they are going to overtake, and pull out without indicating, and suddenly you've just been shunted sideways off the road. I do overtake queues sometimes, but I give a lot of opportunity first for each of the cars in front to demonstrate that they don't intend to.

Unless you are someone who advertises your plates anywhere in any of your pictures, who's to say it was you anyway?

:D

Your opinion that you are a safe is good by me, after all you are still here and have caused no grief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom