Is anyone dreading being the subject of a thread here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I drive like those you overtook as I am never in a hurry really.

I do occasionally like to floor it but mostly not.

I did not have any worries that I would be subject of anything like this until your post.

Now though.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife commented only the other day as she sat in the passenger seat, something like, "I bet they all think you are a maniac."

I had just overtaken four cars on a straight section of a dry, country road with no turnings etc, excellent visibility, broken central markings and no oncoming vehicles. They were within two car- lengths of each other travelling at about 40mph in a NSP.

The fact is, especially in the South East and around most large towns nowadays, drivers have become accustomed to driving in traffic and have lost the ability to look ahead, plan ahead, content to remain in line when on a single carriageway with one lane in either direction.

Just wondered how others felt about their driving, more than seeking opinion on mine (though I always appreciate feedback... honest :) )

Something well known to me and those in my ex-proffession is that people cannot be relied upon to give an honest opinion of their own driving; almost everyone thinks they are much better than they actually are.

This was demonstrated on a very recent episode of the television programme, Duck Quacks Don't Echo, when the audience was asked to lower their raised hand if they believed they were below average drivers.

As expected, not a single person lowered their hand.

It's an old 'in joke'....... you could suggest a driver's children are ugly, you could even say you've had carnal relations with their wife/husband/mother and receive a chuckle but as soon as you criticise their driving, they get the right royal hump.

On a side note; if you watch a proportion of the dash cam footage posted to show the misbehaviour of other drivers, you can't help but notice that the person videoing is pretty terrible themselves and could have avoided the situation by (a) slowing down (b) being a little more courteous.

It seems all too common that you can see the little fiesta trying to change lanes, and the dash cam shows the driver refusing to yield before directing their abuse at the fiesta.

I drive like those you overtook as I am never in a hurry really.

I do occasionally like to floor it but mostly not.

I did not have any worries that I would be subject of anything like this until your post.

Now though.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been the same since I've had my CL. I consciously think about overtaking situations now and evaluate whether or not I need to overtake.

I can remember being 24 in a 321BHP M3 overtaking 7 or 8 cars in a row on the A21, just because I could.

These days I only overtake if the car in front is taking the piss, or I genuinely am in a hurry which is almost never.

I do open my car up sometimes on a quiet road now to stretch legs and blow away cob webs but I've probably done that less than half a dozen times in a year.

Old sensible fartdom awaits.

Saying that, I feel a lot more relaxed driving to and from work now.

Have never understood the term "making progress" if your moving then its progress, often used by those who wish to drive like a nob in my opinion.

I'll never be on here for bad driving - My driving is always perfect.
I don't even get annoyed by the doddery old people in front of me, and I never take notice of the speeding hooligans behind me.

Have never understood the term "making progress" if your moving then its progress, often used by those who wish to drive like a nob in my opinion.

I guess we're all entitled to an opinion.

I'll never be on here for bad driving - My driving is always perfect.
I don't even get annoyed by the doddery old people in front of me, and I never take notice of the speeding hooligans behind me.

I'm calling BS on this one. Nobody drives perfectly all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom