Is This The DIRTIEST Air Filter In The World? E-Class 2009 E 320 CDi V6 W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have a look at the Mercedes electronic service sheet to see the recommended services intervals:

Cabin filter every 2 years or 37,500 miles.
Air filter every 2 years or 37,500 miles up to VIN A953599, or every 4 years or 50,000 miles as of VIN A953600.

Fuel filter every 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Transmission fluid change at 37,500 miles. It says once, but I'd do it every 37,500 miles, so you'll have to do two at the same time! ;)

It doesn't mention diff oil change, but I'd get that done.
Check for Mercedes date stamps on the top of the battery terminals. From the factory it would have something like "09" and "42" on the top of the terminals. 09 referring to 2009, and 42 referring to the week of 2009 (or whatever the corresponding numbers are).

Also, I'd expect at least some of rubber mountings to need to be replaced. Engine mounts, gearbox mounts, flexible prop shaft coupler. You might find the drive transformed if you get these done.

I'm a bit jealous, as I was looking for an E320 estate 211 for ages, but ended up with a 212 E350 saloon as decent 211s were like hen's teeth for the 9 months I was looking. There was a nice black one advertised by an independent second hand car salesman garage type establishment, but he would only let me drive it for 10 minutes if I took the 100 mile journey to get there, and wouldn't let me have an independent inspection so that was all the information I needed to pass on that one.

+1 on the diff oil change. My diff oil was changed 50,000 miles ago when they fitted a new diff seal. Changed the oil two weeks ago and was surprised how black and thin it was, glad I did it.

+1 on the diff oil change. My diff oil was changed 50,000 miles ago when they fitted a new diff seal. Changed the oil two weeks ago and was surprised how black and thin it was, glad I did it.
Notice any changes driving wise?

Notice any changes driving wise?
I changed my diff oil every 35k same as the gearbox , it’s a cheap job diy £20 ish using Fuchs oil . No I never noticed any driving difference

Thanks very much Wighty. Your bay looks nice and clean, it's a credit to you👍
It's the same set up as mine. On the left side the vent is open, but on the right it's blanked off. How about yours?
send a picture , both mine are open to let air through . I’m not sure what you mean

I seem to remember this issue of e-class air intakes being capped has come up before.

Have a look at the Mercedes electronic service sheet to see the recommended services intervals:

Cabin filter every 2 years or 37,500 miles.
Air filter every 2 years or 37,500 miles up to VIN A953599, or every 4 years or 50,000 miles as of VIN A953600.

Fuel filter every 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Transmission fluid change at 37,500 miles. It says once, but I'd do it every 37,500 miles, so you'll have to do two at the same time! ;)

It doesn't mention diff oil change, but I'd get that done.
Check for Mercedes date stamps on the top of the battery terminals. From the factory it would have something like "09" and "42" on the top of the terminals. 09 referring to 2009, and 42 referring to the week of 2009 (or whatever the corresponding numbers are).

Also, I'd expect at least some of rubber mountings to need to be replaced. Engine mounts, gearbox mounts, flexible prop shaft coupler. You might find the drive transformed if you get these done.

I'm a bit jealous, as I was looking for an E320 estate 211 for ages, but ended up with a 212 E350 saloon as decent 211s were like hen's teeth for the 9 months I was looking. There was a nice black one advertised by an independent second hand car salesman garage type establishment, but he would only let me drive it for 10 minutes if I took the 100 mile journey to get there, and wouldn't let me have an independent inspection so that was all the information I needed to pass on that one.
Thanks very much for the service information Mr Greedy.

I've changed the oil and the filter, plus the fuel and air filters. It's good information, because I had read in a couple of places that the car took 7.3 litres for an oil change, so I bought 8. I drained it down from the sump (which was a barrel of laughs), so I was surprised it took both cartons of oil and and was still showing at the mid/low level. I am tempted to buy a extraction pump and do it that way the next couple of times.

The next job is putting back on the engine splash guards as they missing half of their clips and would of no doubt fallen off in due course! Hopefully, this will be enough to see it through the winter and have also topped up the anti freeze, just in case we get a really hard winter. I will check out the manufacturing date and shall definitely look into the other jobs come the spring.

To be honest, we just ended up with this car and it was a snap decision. As said, my wife had just passed her test on an auto licence and naturally wanted a car. I think it's basically a good car but needs a bit of work to get it where it should be. I'll be changing the filters every year though, I think the 37-50K really is a bit of a stretch😄

I seem to remember this issue of e-class air intakes being capped has come up before.
Yes it's a bit odd, it looks like it should be open, but the plastic duct curls round towards the fan housing.

Both my intakes are clear and unobstructed
As you can see, the one on the right is blanked off at the grill. Wonder why that is? The plot thickens.........

IMG_20201028_141821_3CS.jpg

IMG_20201028_141807_1CS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom