Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have had Mercs for the last few years and always uses Mercedes financial services, i never trade my cars in always sell privately. I have requested settlement figures many times in the past, and quite a few when selling my C class (Wish i had kept it now) Never once has a dealer rang me to ask if i want to exchange, just find it strange that the do so now given that they know my car is a September 66 reg motor.

Think it's more that the car is in such demand. They probably could sell it in the first few days after they bought it back.

Experiencing severe slipping and juddering on my GLC delivered 1.9 16

Contacted dealer and MB but they deny it is a safety issue. Answer is to buy winter tyres that will allegedly solve the problem.

A known issue that MB are reluctant to accept responsibility for.

Suggest that rejecting the car is the only answer as you will be left with a car that cant be resold

As if by magic Mercedes contacted me today to do a full investigation. A few others that have this problem have also been contacted today; hmm I don't belief in coincidences, but it is good. It is a little step forward and all I wanted. I merely wanted to be taken seriously and have it investigated as despite those who haven't experienced it as dismissing it as normal, it really is not. As I've highlighted many a time, I'm no newbie car owner and have had many different kinds of 4x4 models. Something really isn't right with this.

Suggest you don't count your eggs before they hatch as this is only an investigation in order to show that MB have formally investigated this issue but could still claim that the 'Ackerman' effect is the cause as is the case with many other marques. As for affecting resale I don't think so as once again many other prestige marques and lesser manufacturers suffer the same problem and this fades into the ether after a while. Just Google this problem you will find many high value cars are affected and their resale value is never affected.

Last edited:
As if by magic Mercedes contacted me today to do a full investigation. A few others that have this problem have also been contacted today; hmm I don't belief in coincidences, but it is good. It is a little step forward and all I wanted. I merely wanted to be taken seriously and have it investigated as despite those who haven't experienced it as dismissing it as normal, it really is not. As I've highlighted many a time, I'm no newbie car owner and have had many different kinds of 4x4 models. Something really isn't right with this.

Very important that we don't let MB sweep this issue under the carpet. Its not like its something trivial.

As always they will try to wriggle out of paying but this is THEIR problem NOT ours.

We pay good money for their cars and deserve to be treated fairly.

Suggest you don't count your eggs before they hatch as this is only an investigation in order to show that MB have formally investigated this issue but could still claim that the 'Ackerman' effect is the cause as is the case with many other marques. As for affecting resale I don't think so as once again many other prestige marques and lesser manufacturers suffer the same problem and this fades into the ether after a while. Just Google this problem you will find many high value cars are affected and their resale value is never affected.

Absolutely and the noise will continue across the press and social media to keep the pressure on. However I like looking at the positive side of things and celebrate little wins.

As I said, all I wanted was an investigation to figure out what it is. Not all cars do it to the same extend, some are more persistent and more violent than others. As I said previously I do appreciate how a 4x4 works and a little bit of this under certain conditions can be expected. However not every time I exit my driveway or turn into our road ;)

I want them to check the setup, the tyres. I am happy to try other wheels. Although I'm not happy running the vehicle ongoingly on smaller wheels. Nor am I happy being forced to switch to winter tyres unless they supply the wheels and tyres and store them for me ;) and they are the same size and look and feel. But I know miracles don't exist.

Ultimately I'm happy to cooperate with investigations.

Nor am I happy being forced to switch to winter tyres unless they supply the wheels and tyres and store them for me

Winter tyres are not the cure. My CLK does it, more so on tyres with worn tread, not when new tyres are fitted, both summer and winter tyres are the same.
The fact that it rarely does it on new tyres is because tread can flex along with the limited sidewall flex to mask the problem. As the tread wears down, there is only the sidewall flex left which is not enough to compensate.
You can get Mercedes to do all the investigation you want, but you are dealing with the Ackerman Principle, the only cure is not using low profile tyres or limiting the steering lock, no other magic solution is out there other than completely redesigning the front steering/suspension which is never going to happen and would bring other disadvantages along with it.

Russ

Winter tyres are not the cure. My CLK does it, more so on tyres with worn tread, not when new tyres are fitted, both summer and winter tyres are the same.
The fact that it rarely does it on new tyres is because tread can flex along with the limited sidewall flex to mask the problem. As the tread wears down, there is only the sidewall flex left which is not enough to compensate.
You can get Mercedes to do all the investigation you want, but you are dealing with the Ackerman Principle, the only cure is not using low profile tyres or limiting the steering lock, no other magic solution is out there other than completely redesigning the front steering/suspension which is never going to happen and would bring other disadvantages along with it.

Russ

Sorry but I'm not buying that at all, sure I know about the Ackerman Principle but why doesn't my Mercedes GL class do it which was also on 21" wheels with exactly the same tyres? Why doesn't my Audi Quattro do it? Why doesn't my Golf R do it? Why doesn't the Nissan Murano do it? And so on...

Sure there are moments under certain conditions when you can have something like this happen. But what people don't seem to get it that it is happening ALL the time. This is persistent and violent, people stop to take a look what is going on. My wife said it yesterday that when pulling out of a bay in Waitrose people stopped and looked around when the car was shaking and juddering.

This is not normal. I really don't get why people have this desire to normalise this issue. Would you all buy a car knowingly that does this all the time?

Would you all buy a car knowingly that does this all the time?

Mine does it, I try not to use full lock to avoid it as much as I can. Not sure what anyone thinks Mercedes can do, they don't have a magic wand.

Russ

Mine does it, I try not to use full lock to avoid it as much as I can. Not sure what anyone thinks Mercedes can do, they don't have a magic wand.

Russ

If Mercedes can't sort this out then they take the cars back or compensate the owners. IMO This is a straightforward Consumer Credit Act/Sale of Goods Act case which any court in the land would uphold.

Russ

Seriously Russ - your car does it and you think it is normal. You don't even have a 4x4 if I'm not mistaken which would make it even more unacceptable.

If you think it is ok and Mercedes needs a magic wand then I would suggest that you haven't got a clue how cars can drive. I'm really sorry, I'd like to keep this positive, but apologetic posts like these really annoy me. Why accept something that doesn't have be like that.

Please do explain to me why other cars don't do it? Please do explain to me why left hand drive models of the same car don't do it?

Your biggest problem as I see it will be if it transpires that they all do it Mercedes can then pass it off as a characteristic, whereas if it's only the odd few (as it seems to be at the minute) that have this issue then there'll be a better chance of there being a fix.

Either way I wouldn't hold out too much hope, German car manufacturers in this country have got away with some crackers over the years by simply sweeping it under the carpet and sticking their fingers in their ears (Mercedes rust sir?), the U.S. Being more litigious on the other hand gets more results.

Based on this it would seem that if a number of dealerships contacted their customers it's no coincidence but probably a directive from MB Head Office. Did you ask your dealer this question? as if it is then MB dealerships up and down the land will be doing the same which will involve many owners. IMO every car affected by this will have the same problem so it shouldn't take too long for MB to find out what it is so the more they investigate the better the overall outcome. But to repeat what has been said before if the mighty Porsche can't engineer this out then what chance do MB and other manufacturers have!!

Last edited:
Your biggest problem as I see it will be if it transpires that they all do it Mercedes can then pass it off as a characteristic, whereas if it's only the odd few (as it seems to be at the minute) that have this issue then there'll be a better chance of there being a fix.

Either way I wouldn't hold out too much hope, German car manufacturers in this country have got away with some crackers over the years by simply sweeping it under the carpet and sticking their fingers in their ears (Mercedes rust sir?), the U.S. Being more litigious on the other hand gets more results.

Yes I know, and that is the annoying part. It is also annoying that people belief them and start to accept this as normal. Reminds me of when people were listening to 128kpbs MP3 files and swore they sound good. Not all cars do this, I'm sure you can make most 4x4s do this under certain circumstances but the facts are that these do it all the time. But RHD only, the LHD models don't seem to have the issue to this extend.

Also other models in Mercedes's range don't do it. I know people who had ML's before and got this GLC and now they have the problem after 3 years of trouble free motoring. And in my own case, I didn't have it in the last 3 years with my GL class. But somehow the GLC has this issue. I'm not buying it that this is normal, not at all.

Based on this it would seem that if a number of dealerships contacted their customers it's no coincidence but probably a directive from MB Head Office. Did you ask your dealer this question? as if it is then MB dealerships up and down the land will be doing the same which will involve many owners. IMO every car affected by this will have the same problem so it shouldn't take too long for MB to find out what it is so the more they investigate the better the overall outcome. But to repeat what has been said before if the mighty Porsche can't engineer this out then what chance do MB and other manufacturers have!!
Did you see my post above re whether it was the dealer or MB who contacted you also when are you taking your car in?

The key message we have learnt is that only Right-Hand drive GLC's suffer from this inherent juddering and bouncing fault. Left-Hand drive vehicles in Europe / Germany / North America drive perfectly well, although may suffer minor and acceptable slipping, which is totally different to what we are experiencing in our Right-Hand drive GLC's.

Conclusion - LHD GLC.s must be different to our RHD GLC's

MB need to accept and address this issue, identify what the differences are between Left & Right hand drive GLC's and fix the problem - German customers are not experiencing the same awful and unacceptable drive!

here is an e-mail i sent to my dealer, sent it to the sales person who sold me the car

Hi Steven,

Hope you are well?

I got a couple of issues with my car, Firstly on a few occasions i have had a strong burning smell coming from the front passenger wheel, This happens after i use the car and park up, The smell is quite bad and also the heat coming from that area is intense, I have had in to the Mercedes dealership here on the island for a full day and they can find any issue. This has happened on 5 occasions. Touch wood this has not happened in the last 3 weeks.

Secondly and more worrying is the clonking and juddering of the car when on full lock this started about 5 weeks after delivery, it feels like the car is slipping to one side like it's on ice(like its scrubbing), the steering wheel pulls away. I though this may be a one off but this happens every day when at low speed and full lock. I phoned Mercedes on the island to be told this is a characteristic of the car and to put on winter tyres on. I am not happy with this as i would not expect this to happen at all. Have you had any other reports of this and/or have Mercedes issued any sort of communication to dealers? Really frustrating as i love the car the best one i have ever bought but i'm loosing and attachment to it.

Also i requested a settlement figure from MBFS on 4th Jan to see if i may be in a position to sell the car and get something else, Buy strangely i receive a call from a lady at your dealership this morning 5th Jan offering to part exchange the car??? Why?? is there something you guys know that we don't?? I have never known this happen after requesting a figure (requested plenty for my old C class) I explained my issues to her and all she said was if you change your mind give us a call we will look at a deal for you, Why would i part exchange and loose a fortune (unless your offering full cost buy back??) I Just find it strange that this would be offered to a customer who's car is 4 months old.

This issue seems to be very common and there are a few disgruntled owners out there, The links below take you to forums where this issues is a hot topic of conversation take a look.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/whee...onking-juddering-near-full-steering-lock.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/201420-knocking-steering-new-glc.html

Also look at the video link this is from a GLC owner documenting the issues, mine is not as bad as his but gives you a good idea of what is happening. This surely cant be put down to being a characteristic of the car.

GLC 250d AMG - Wheel juddering and bouncing

Can you please advise as to whats going on and what support is available, i am really concerned that working on the island i'm too far away to bring the car into yourself. Not overly happy with the dealer on the Island they seemed a bit miffed when i booked the car in and they realised i did not get it from them.

Look forward to hearing from you, at the moment i'm holding off getting Mercedes UK and Mercedes finance involved.

Many Thanks

and here is his reply

Hi Mark,

I’m ok thank you.

Hope your well too other than the troubles you appear to be having with the car.

I will have to ask you to leave it with me and I will speak to Gregg the new car sales manager and come back you in the next few days.

Out of interest are you going to be back in the area in the foreseeable future with the car?

Kind Regards

I shall wait for the reply

here is an e-mail i sent to my dealer, sent it to the sales person who sold me the car

Hi Steven,

Hope you are well?

I got a couple of issues with my car, Firstly on a few occasions i have had a strong burning smell coming from the front passenger wheel, This happens after i use the car and park up, The smell is quite bad and also the heat coming from that area is intense, I have had in to the Mercedes dealership here on the island for a full day and they can find any issue. This has happened on 5 occasions. Touch wood this has not happened in the last 3 weeks.

Secondly and more worrying is the clonking and juddering of the car when on full lock this started about 5 weeks after delivery, it feels like the car is slipping to one side like it's on ice(like its scrubbing), the steering wheel pulls away. I though this may be a one off but this happens every day when at low speed and full lock. I phoned Mercedes on the island to be told this is a characteristic of the car and to put on winter tyres on. I am not happy with this as i would not expect this to happen at all. Have you had any other reports of this and/or have Mercedes issued any sort of communication to dealers? Really frustrating as i love the car the best one i have ever bought but i'm loosing and attachment to it.

Also i requested a settlement figure from MBFS on 4th Jan to see if i may be in a position to sell the car and get something else, Buy strangely i receive a call from a lady at your dealership this morning 5th Jan offering to part exchange the car??? Why?? is there something you guys know that we don't?? I have never known this happen after requesting a figure (requested plenty for my old C class) I explained my issues to her and all she said was if you change your mind give us a call we will look at a deal for you, Why would i part exchange and loose a fortune (unless your offering full cost buy back??) I Just find it strange that this would be offered to a customer who's car is 4 months old.

This issue seems to be very common and there are a few disgruntled owners out there, The links below take you to forums where this issues is a hot topic of conversation take a look.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/whee...onking-juddering-near-full-steering-lock.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/201420-knocking-steering-new-glc.html

Also look at the video link this is from a GLC owner documenting the issues, mine is not as bad as his but gives you a good idea of what is happening. This surely cant be put down to being a characteristic of the car.

GLC 250d AMG - Wheel juddering and bouncing

Can you please advise as to whats going on and what support is available, i am really concerned that working on the island i'm too far away to bring the car into yourself. Not overly happy with the dealer on the Island they seemed a bit miffed when i booked the car in and they realised i did not get it from them.

Look forward to hearing from you, at the moment i'm holding off getting Mercedes UK and Mercedes finance involved.

Many Thanks

and here is his reply

Hi Mark,

I’m ok thank you.

Hope your well too other than the troubles you appear to be having with the car.

I will have to ask you to leave it with me and I will speak to Gregg the new car sales manager and come back you in the next few days.

Out of interest are you going to be back in the area in the foreseeable future with the car?

Kind Regards

I shall wait for the reply

You need to send it to the dealer principle rather than the sales person

just though i would give him a chance first, i have a pretty good relationship with him, saying that i was hoping for a little more of a reply.

i will give him 5 days of nothing i will be adding more and sending it to whoever i can get email addresses for at Mercedes H/Q.

PMSL if the read the links as he will realise this is MMMEEEE :bannana:

Last edited:

Is there anyone out there that has also been contacted and can they confirm whether it was their Dealer or MB HQ.

Merci

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom