New tyres - new car feel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Boy - what a difference.

Just had a new pair of Conti 5 MO tyres fitted to the rear of my E220 to replace the worn (3mm) Conti 3 MO that the car came with.

Forget analysing the Conti 3/5 change but what a difference new tyres make.

The car definitely feels more planted, runs smoother, the traction control has gone on holiday. I've got that 'new car' feel again.

Next stop - new fronts :thumb:

FWIW - I got my tyres fitted by a local place to me @ £304 the pair fitted and balanced. 255/35/18 MO XL

Would be interested to hear how you get on with the C5's after a few weeks, how they compare to the 3's.

I'll certainly report back but the differences I note will probably be more of a worn/new tyre basis as the noise will logically be lower, grip will be better and wet-weather driving will be undoubtably safer.

So far, I am liking what I feel although I had absolutely no complaints with the Conti 3s over the 21.5k miles they served me.

Good post LTD.

For years I have been listening to people saying how their new Michelins/Pirelis/Dunlops are so much better than their previous Contis/Googyears/Bridgestones (and vice versa), and thinking to myself - no they're not, you just replaced old tired rubber with fresh one and that's why the tyres feel so much better....

Good post LTD.

For years I have been listening to people saying how their new Michelins/Pirelis/Dunlops are so much better than their previous Contis/Googyears/Bridgestones (and vice versa), and thinking to myself - no they're not, you just replaced old tired rubber with fresh one and that's why the tyres feel so much better....

Which is always great as a tyre with more tread offers less contact with the pavement so has less feel and provides less grip in the dry together with much more tread block movement..

I had new Michelins fitted on the rear last week, but after about 300 miles I have noticed no difference at all!!

Had Pirelli P ZERO's MO fitted on my rear a few moths back from bridgestones and boy what a difference car feels more planted and smooth

Intersting , I have conti's on mine and see they are factory fit but has anyone changed and found them better ?

t-dawg1 said:
Had Pirelli P ZERO's MO fitted on my rear a few moths back from bridgestones and boy what a difference car feels more planted and smooth

Had loan car whilst mine was in for some work a while back.

I have a manual C250 Estate, loan was 7 speed auto same engine.

It felt so much more planted on the P Zeros like you say. Chatting to dealership and they said they find they grip great but wear rate is not so good. I guess it's all about compromise.

I still like my Contis but may go for these next time...

Attachments

• image-1895384137.jpg
    image-1895384137.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 27
Still £16 a tyre dearer than my Conti5s were .....

How did the Bridgestones feel when new and compared to the tyres they replaced ?

LTD said:
How did the Bridgestones feel when new and compared to the tyres they replaced ?
Bridgestones Potenza's felt a harder ride and grip on wet conditions wasn't great,saw the traction control light flicker alot but then again I had about 4mm tread at that stage when I began to notice these signs. P ZERO MO seem to be Mercedes first choice as I was at the dearlership the other day looking at the new E class and it had the same P ZERO fitted

Last edited:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have had some Pirellis fitted all round. 2 Cinturato ones at the front and P Zeros at the back. My last tyres were some cheap Runway ones with a decent amount of tread left, that made a humming noise at speeds over 40mph. Apart from the lack of humming noise and the better grip, I don't see much of a difference! Infact I feel like I can feel the uneven road more.

I spent hours reading reviews for individual tyres and reading online I always see people say what a massive difference different tyre brands can make and how important it is to get the right brand, tread etc but I reckon it's an overreaction and the few added mm's of rubber making the difference.

Same with my last car when I replaced cheap set with Toyo Proxes 4 which are so soft, they act as a nail and general debris collector.

Last edited:
I reckon it's an overreaction and the few added mm's of rubber making the difference.

Friend of mine had his new Datsun delivered on Mich. on the 1st Sept, one week later they were removed and sold on the bay & replaced with a different brand, now that could be an over reaction but he now feels safer..

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have had some Pirellis fitted all round. 2 Cinturato ones at the front and P Zeros at the back. My last tyres were some cheap Runway ones with a decent amount of tread left, that made a humming noise at speeds over 40mph. Apart from the lack of humming noise and the better grip, I don't see much of a difference! Infact I feel like I can feel the uneven road more.

I spent hours reading reviews for individual tyres and reading online I always see people say what a massive difference different tyre brands can make and how important it is to get the right brand, tread etc but I reckon it's an overreaction and the few added mm's of rubber making the difference.

Same with my last car when I replaced cheap set with Toyo Proxes 4 which are so soft, they act as a nail and general debris collector.

Why the hell have you fitted Cinturo on the front and P Zero on the rear, the Cinturo is a symmetrical tyre and the P Zero is an asymmetrical tyres.

On a rear wheel drive car that can make it really twitchy.

Whoever let you put that combo on should be shot imho.

Have you found it twitchy at all? Not many damp roads yet as the weather has been good, but if the traction light comes on I would swap to matched tyres all round.

Edit: Is it the Cinturato P7? That is an asymmetrical version.
That may be OK, but I would never mix front and rear tyres, done it a few times and ruins the handling.

Last edited:
I like the Dunlop Sport Maxx for comfort and near silence.

I love the Michel PS2 for sporty driving and a progressive back end.

I love the Dunlop Wintersport 4D for colder months and all round on the family wagon. Soft, comfy, quiet if a little squidgy, but don't mind that on that sort of car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom