OAP s and driving licences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I ever get to that stage I hope Ms Me will take my keys away.
It's a tough one.

The best lead indicator is the number of scratches and dents on the car. Although, even then, it's usually just parking scrapes rather than the serious collisions that people cause between 17 and 40.

There's no faster way of ending up with dementia or in a care home than through social isolation in a country where most still don't live in cities.

The States has great examples of this. You rock up to a country diner late morning and a row of Caddies, TownCars and Trucks parked outside, indicates that there's a gaggle of 80 year olds shooting the breeze over coffee inside. Men who could drive there, but who really wouldn't want to walk too far.

Mon Dieu, sounds like a bargain. Mrs MiW and I pay £630 annually for unlimited global travel insurance, and that's a bargain worth every penny, even though we never claim.

We've been watching our annual cover go up. As you get older you accumulate more conditions. Cost goes up - or exclusions to cover start to complicate personal risk.

It has become an issue with retirement planning for us. We've done some thinking and figured that we should retire a couple of years earlier than we had been planning - in essence it comes down to 'good years left' and travel cover.

We've been watching our annual cover go up. As you get older you accumulate more conditions. Cost goes up - or exclusions to cover start to complicate personal risk.

It has become an issue with retirement planning for us. We've done some thinking and figured that we should retire a couple of years earlier than we had been planning - in essence it comes down to 'good years left' and travel cover.
To misquote Charlie Munger, who expired this week, one month short of his hundredth birthday, you can keep acquiring wealth - he acquired $2.6 billion - but you can't take it with you.

It's worth looking an annual cover rather than trip specific. I got a quote of £800 for six weeks in the USA, but preferred to amend my European policy to annual AND "global" for £630 - for us both (£315 per head)

The good news: you spend far less when you're retired than when working. Mind-bogglingly so, if you've a mind to.

To add my dad( 77) onto a previous insurance company for the c63 came out as just under £3k extra 😳

The good news: you spend far less when you're retired than when working. Mind-bogglingly so, if you've a mind to.

Yes .... that's been an interesting 'revelation' when we sat down to figure things.

Obviously personal circumstances vary. But for us it's become a no brainer.

Mon Dieu, sounds like a bargain. Mrs MiW and I pay £630 annually for unlimited global travel insurance, and that's a bargain worth every penny, even though we never claim.

Your rate doesn't indicate Anti-Wrinklieism unless you've got evidence that it would be cheaper for someone much younger. More likely that the cost of "stuff" has gone up over the last decade.
It was actually £220.51 for 26 days cover just for me in Oz and NZ, so not that great. They quoted annual cover (excluding the USA, Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean) at £382.49. Sounds like your annual cover is better value for you and SWMBO - although of course it depends on the amount of cover you get for that. I'm like you and have never claimed, but would never go without.

As for Anti-Wrinkleism, I just got a quote from the same company for the same trip for my wife who is considerably younger (by 24 years) and very much wrinkle-free. £53.72. That's less than a quarter of what they're charging me! I doubt that they're allowed to have different charges for different genders, so it must be based on wrinkle count. There's no way they can know that she's considerably fitter than me.

I've been retired for 27 years now, so far too great a time to calculate a meaningful comparison of expenses. Add to that a massive life change in that time (including divorce, marriage and new child) and it becomes totally impossible to compare. All I know is that life is much better now, and I have better cars and better holidays, so something must be working well.

I've been retired for 27 years now, so far too great a time to calculate a meaningful comparison of expenses. Add to that a massive life change in that time (including divorce, marriage and new child) and it becomes totally impossible to compare. All I know is that life is much better now, and I have better cars and better holidays, so something must be working well.
:thumb:Retirement! A time for celebration!

1701261164434.png

Sounds like your annual cover is better value for you and SWMBO
Exactly: we ended up on £20 per week each, as opposed to £66 a week,

but you can understand how marketing and admin costs on a short six week transatlantic trip skew the numbers

"Stratospheric?" "Premium hikes: In the three months to the end of August, renewal prices for the over-70s rose by £63.04, compared with the market average of £46.40"
Over-70s drivers worst hit by insurance price hikes.

Another explanation might be that older drivers are more lazy about challenging renewal premiums and about shopping around on-line for competitive quotes.
I can assure you that mine went up by considerably more than that.

"Swinton sent me my renewal £1026.90 up from £532.24. It seems that when you reach 77 you are a senile old fart that cannot be trusted with anything more powerful than a mobility scooter!
Comp sites best is £754 with Halifax."

Last edited:
Hi ,

How easy is it to open a UK bank account without jumping through hoops.

I am 73 and passed my DT6 weeks after my 17th birthday.

The current test bears no resemblance to test that I took.

The DVLA want all oldies off the road and I suggest that we will have to take extended tests , enhanced medical examination and reduced HP cars to you obtain a restricted driving licence.

I believe that all drivers should have regular assessments as to there driving ability.

I passed my driving test test in a manual 4 on the floor but I am also allowed to drive an automatic transmission car.

I live in Malvern and to park an automatic car on the hilly roads is not easy.Its a doddle with a manual transmission car.

Some time ago I suggested that the British driving standard was on apar or below the Portuguese standard.

( I was wrong and appoligse for that stupid statement. )

The standard of car driving in Portugal is appalling.

If I felt that my ability do drive put other road users at risk I would hand back my licence.
None of which explains: "Hi , the DVLA are at it again , driving is the easy bit , it the paperwork that will cause real problems !"

I'm 76 but have not personally received significantly higher insurance premiums over the years apart form this year when my renewal will be 30% higher but I understand this is a trend over all age groups.
I am 77. Mine went up considerably.
Posted in another thread.
"Swinton sent me my renewal £1026.90 up from £532.24. It seems that when you reach 77 you are a senile old fart that cannot be trusted with anything more powerful than a mobility scooter!
Comp sites best is £754 with Halifax".

Wrinklies are renowned for paying absurd amounts for TV, broadband, phone contracts and so on.
Not in my house they don't.
Phone £5/month for me and £8 for her.
No sky,etc. Just Freeview.
Broadband has stayed roughly the same for 7 years with EE.
We are not miserly but mackerels and ar8eholes spring to mind.

Exactly. There’s barely any evidence of premiums going up excessively for the over 70’s, nor that Wrinklies are creating more claims.

Insurance companies are clawing in money to cover their increased costs from inflation, staff and component shortages, fraud and WfH inefficiencies.

Caveat emptor
£532 to £754 is in that 30% ish region so understandable. £532 to £1026 is waaaay above that!

It is only that Mrs JHS is also on the policy as main driver that it is so low. She is a sprightly 63.

Last edited:
I can assure you that mine went up by considerably more than that.

For sure. What did Aviva, Adrian Flux, NFU and Direct Line come in with?

Not all insurance companies pay commission to the comparison sites.

It is only that Mrs JHS is also on the policy as main driver that it is so low. She is a sprightly 63.

You’ve forgotten that Mrs JHS probably identifies as a woman.

As discussed on here, many many times, the addition of a woman on a man’s insurance policy, at any age, significantly decreases the cost of insurance on any car.

Not in my house they don't.
Phone £5/month for me and £8 for her.
No sky,etc. Just Freeview.
Broadband has stayed roughly the same for 7 years with EE.
We are not miserly but mackerels and ar8eholes spring to mind.
Aye, but my point remains: Wrinklies are renowned for not challenging their bills, and failing to search for better deals.

It’s called “inertia pricing.” We keep discussing it on here. People paying stupid amounts for SKY, insurance, AA, on-line news etc because they just accept price lncreases because it’s “not worth the bother.”

Why did Saga try to double the insurance quote for this lady?

Last edited:
Reactions: JHS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom