Rusting Brake discs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting. I can see that it could work as it's a water dispersant and not a lubricant. As a matter of interest, how do you apply it? Just a small quirt and let the pad run it around the disc?

WD40's great for cleaning chrome exhaust trim too.

Interesting. I can see that it could work as it's a water dispersant and not a lubricant. As a matter of interest, how do you apply it? Just a small quirt and let the pad run it around the disc?

WD40's great for cleaning chrome exhaust trim too.

A few squirts per disk once parked up. I only do it if leaving the car a fortnight or longer. It seems to have the desired effect. No rust.

WD stands for water dispersion - that’s its primary function not lubrication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as i am aware, WD40 is a lubricating substance, albeit a very thin oil. However, what would concern me is the build up on the pads, which would, in time, stop them being effective.
I would never put anything even slightly oil near the face of the pads.
Brake disc's will develop surface rust, any pitting is the result of age, as long as the part where the pads grip the disc are not pitted, then they will be fine, as stated, surface rust will disperse very quickly once brakes are applied.

My previous MB had a few periods of been 'parked for a while' - maybe 2 months at the most.

The only issue I can recall was the initial release of the pads from the discs.
Once the car was moving, a couple of applications to the brakes, would 'clean' the discs.

When you return to your car, before moving off after you’ve used wd, spray brake cleaner on them, this will remove the oil and evaporate, reducing the contamination on your pads.

When you return to your car, before moving off after you’ve used wd, spray brake cleaner on them, this will remove the oil and evaporate, reducing the contamination on your pads.

Ok. This sounds a good idea. I’ll get some of this.

Oh, and on most cars you will only be able to get to one side of the disc anyway. This I might add is the first time I have heard of anyone spraying their brake discs with WD40.

You must have some really rubbish discs then! On my fun car it does quiite a lot of sitting about, in fact it sits through the whole winter on the drive open to the elements and yea they get rusty, but after a bit of driving they soon clean up and are just fine, i am still on the same set of discs since they were fitted 6-7 years ago. Maybe you need to get better discs on your car?

I don’t. Just the surface facing out.

They’re Mercedes parts, bought from the dealer.

Rusting is an exothermic reaction- that's to say after the reaction is over there is an overall release of energy- that said as can be seen from the energy diagram there is an energy barrier that has to overcome before the reaction will take place. In the real world this translates to the fact if a car is cold enough it won't rust- there's simply not enough energy around to initiate the reaction. That's why its often healthier to store a car in the open in winter rather than in a nice warm garage. Disc and pad materials changed markedly with the banning of asbestos in brake pad material which may have encouraged corrosion in the later disc material. I would council against introducing any lubricant material which may contaminate brake pad material. While this may not appear to reduce braking performance on the surface- the car still stops right? It may just take an extra meter or two to stop --- the difference between a close shave and an accident.
487px-Ac_com.svg.png

These rust after a day and after two weeks are orange. Braking after that time causes juddering, groaning and the removal of rust pits them.

Small squirt of wd40 and the problem goes away.

Id be putting other brand of discs on then. Which are coated and made of better metal. They shouldnt be as bad as you say tbh.

Id be putting other brand of discs on then. Which are coated and made of better metal. They shouldnt be as bad as you say tbh.

These are Mercedes OE ones.

As they say the best or nothing. Or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom