Tell me about radiators and a few other w124 bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hotrodder

Car
'93 320te
WDB1240922F263... One part number i have is A124 500 24 02, inchcape/MBparts want £520 which'd be funny if they weren't serious
Dunno what ECP have to offer as no w124 parts are online (their cheaper 'sister' site :p is similarly afflicted) and the last time i phoned them the person that answered the phone could have been outwitted by my dog.
GSF are offering two, one for cars without aircon (so not suitable) @ ~ £250 and one for cars with aircon @ £81.00.
Part # search of Euromerc site gets nothing but a search of rads gets this... euromercwebstore: RADIATOR E280 for an E280 with aircon but googling A1245009003 suggests the same part # for several models of w124 with both the M103 and M104 engine.

GSF rad is tempting at almost half the price but knowing what good quality rad cores cost me i'm a bit dubious and conflicted... I only use the car a couple of times a week and have done less than 20K in the 4 years i've owned it. On the one hand a cheaper/nastier rad that isn't likely to last as long isn't too big of a deal considering the above. On the other hand if the trans cooler portion was to leak internally...

Also need an air intake boot, the bit between the throttle body and the air intake crossover pipe (I've got A104 141 0990 as a possible part #) and a couple of the seals/gaskets for the rocker cover breather vent, part # A104 016 0980? The later don't exist according to MB/inchcape, i would try my local stealer but dealing with them is :wallbash: and based on previous visits* the parts guy is unlikely to find 'em from a description.

Finally plug/coil pack extenders... the Russian parts site threw out loads of # none of which are recognised by inchcape. Makes sense to get them from the same source as the rubber bits to avoid an extra trip/postage but i need part numbers (tried calling 'em in the past but they've never answered their phone!). Failing that i'm guessing Bosch or Beru are the only worthwhile choices from the usual suspects?

* i would phone but they never bloody call back, a reference # so you don't have to speak to the same person seems to be beyond them and they won't/can't take a deposit/payment over the phone (which they need for stuff not in stock which is pretty much anything for a w124) anyway which means two trips and wasting at least 1/2 hour waiting each time

WDB1240922F263... One part number i have is A124 500 24 02, inchcape/MBparts want £520 which'd be funny if they weren't serious
Dunno what ECP have to offer as no w124 parts are online (their cheaper 'sister' site :p is similarly afflicted) and the last time i phoned them the person that answered the phone could have been outwitted by my dog.
GSF are offering two, one for cars without aircon (so not suitable) @ ~ £250 and one for cars with aircon @ £81.00.
Part # search of Euromerc site gets nothing but a search of rads gets this... euromercwebstore: RADIATOR E280 for an E280 with aircon but googling A1245009003 suggests the same part # for several models of w124 with both the M103 and M104 engine.

A1245002402 supersedes A1245009003, so you can use either.

I guess you're having the same trouble I used to with ECP, as for some reason the site doesn't recognise the 320TE model. Pat at ecp actually fixed the problem so I can now search parts using my reg, so maybe can do the same for you. In the interim, just manually enter the car type as a 1993 E class 3.2.

A1245002402 supersedes A1245009003, so you can use either.

Is there any difference between the rads with the different part numbers? I've often wondered when looking through ECP why the part numbers get changed. Is it a change in the design such as the head gasket, or just a substitution based on a change in supplier.

I was about to ask how Grober managed to get the ECP site working, tried by reg and tried manually but never thought to try other body styles :doh:

For the price difference i think i'd rather have the genuine one from Nick (Behr? that's what in there at the moment). Now i know how to get the site(s) working i could get the same rad for £112 from carparts4less :p, might even be the same thing that's £80 odd elsewhere?

Hi mate!

If no parts are displayed, it sounds like we are missing some vehicle details - if you PM me your reg, ill report it and it normally takes 24hours for the cataloguing team to update the system, meaning after then you can browse like normal using your reg :)

As for the part numbers, i've done some X-reffing -

A124 500 24 02 = 203220181
EIS Radiator
Part No.: 203220181
Web Price: £157.20
Forum Price: £110.04
EIS - Euro Car Parts UK
203220181.jpg

I cant find anything for the rubbers using the OE number, and for me the VIn doesn't work in Merc EPC :(

if you have any other OE numbers to xref, let me know :)

Pat

For my 1995 320 coupe at 188,000 ish miles, mine finally started a small leak.

As I like originality, I went for Behr from the UK distributors.

I put it through a local motor factors at a discount. Saved quite a bit I remember, compared to the dealer, which also gives me discount.

The rad was manufactured in south Africa and was identical everywhichway,
so a very quick swap.

I think the UK agent for Behr is also UK agent for Hella? so may give a clue when googling.

I dont have paperwork to hand.

Another quick thought, but have you pressure tested the existing rad? I was about to replace the one on my car but after using a pressure tester it turned out the problem was the L shaped vent/elbow on the top that had a small leak. I've ordered the part from the local main dealer for £3.24 and hopefully that will fix the problem on mine.

How's yours holding up Spike? Been 4 years, done many miles? Out of curiousity i called GSF on Fri and while i've forgotten how he spelt it the £80 one from them is pronounced 'Seco'. If mine was a manual i would have bought it, being an auto there's another failure scenario that, while unlikely, could be very expensive though...

Cheers Pat, as Milo said it appears that the ECP site doesn't believe in the existance of w124 estates, I know how to work around it now and hopefully i won't need any estate specific bits for a long time as i rebuilt the rear suspension last year. The VIN was missing the last 3 digits, i may PM you to sort that out but i suspect that the air intake boot is unlikely to be stocked. It's peanuts from MB anyway and i must have a made a mistake with the rocker cover breather gasket things as inchcape is recognising it now.

Cheers for the heads up Kth, i've struck out so far but will try SC motor factors on Mon as i need to go get some brake cleaner and fetish gloves.

I did see that rad Jay, cheers anyway but i'd already passed as i'd rather fit a new one or at least i'd only fit a used one if i knew it's history as w124s are getting to the age when maybe things like origional rads ain't likely to have much life left in 'em?

Nice thought Millo but it's not the top bleed elbow, that was one of the first parts i bought for the car as it'd been broken and bodged back together with silicon. Mines weeping from that corner but it's the tank - core seal that's given up

Cheers everyone

Oh, actually while i'm here you could give me a price on a charcoal canister/fuel vapour filter Pat as i can't find it on the ECP site. There's a thread about them here but none of the part numbers work anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom