W124 gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darreningram

My 95 W124 E280 is showing a reluctance to reverse when warm, it is ok when cold. I suspect this is not good news and will need a rebuild. Anyone have any idea of approximate cost? I have a 300CE coupe with a 4 speed auto and the car is scrap- is it possible to pop the 4 speeder into the E280?
Thanks

My 95 W124 E280 is showing a reluctance to reverse when warm, it is ok when cold. I suspect this is not good news and will need a rebuild. Anyone have any idea of approximate cost? I have a 300CE coupe with a 4 speed auto and the car is scrap- is it possible to pop the 4 speeder into the E280?
Thanks

Is your 280 a 4 speed?

Sorry forgot to say- no it is the dreaded 5 speed with 130,000 miles on it!

Sorry forgot to say- no it is the dreaded 5 speed with 130,000 miles on it!

When were oil and filter last changed? My reluctant reverse hasn't reappeared 3 years after changing both. 5 speed now with 250K miles on the clock.

Might be worth a try.

RayH

If the rest of the car is worth it you can buy a remanufactured unit from Daimler for less than what anybody can rebuild it properly with Genuine parts - exchange. They test them after the rebuild on a test rig in the factory and come with a factory warrantee. May pay to enquire about this option if you are that way inclined - and the rest of the car is worth it. If you are being charged silly money in the UK for this drop me a PM and I may well be able to help with the pricing, I have just bought one for one of my cars.

Ignoring the reverse issue can lead to parts coming into contact with each other that were never meant to come into contact with each other inside the box, you may be lucky like Ray but then again you may not and get stranded somewhere awkward.

Thanks everyone, very helpful- I know the service history is full but the car has been left in storage for a few years- the plugs were in terrible condition, so might be worth trying the cheapest option first and changing oil and filter- will let u know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom