1996 R129 sl hood not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davrum

Car
mercedes e320cdi, 96 sl280, E350 cdi
hi i know there has been a lot of discussions on this topic but non seem to have the same problems at once.
background: not been using car during lockdown and during hot weather i have been putting hood down but finding the battery draining after 3 lifts and closures, requiring recharging through battery charger. since buying the car about 4 months ago the dashboard light warning light has been on for the roll bar, but it has non the less raised and lowered.
today as soon as i turned the ignition switch the light on the hood switch came on, as did the roll bar switch light, hood does not function or attempt to move, windows dont move and no longer drop on entering the car.
The roll bar does not move on make any sound pressing switch.
have checked pump hydraulic resevoir and at good level no signs of leaks
no signs of hydraulic leaks under car
have tried disconnecting battery twice to no effect
checked fuses all good
one further oddity when pressing the roll bar switch i noticed that it was changing the display on panasonic radio unit

has anyone any other ideas please, am trying to work out what might cause all those lights to come non

very many thanks

Hi thanks for getting back to me, have just tried changing over to a new one, unfortunately, problem persists

very many thanks for this< i suppose its off to buy a diagnostic analyser. I will pos up the outcome

They don't like low voltage ... I bought a maintenance charger for mine after a similar incident (which needed the fault codes cleared via STAR - disconnecting the power didn't work). It's left on the charger whenever it's not being driven - the battery is now 16 years old and still going strong :)

Hi thank you for your thoughts on that, i will sort out a diagnostics to clear out the fault codes, do you have any experience on what type i need to go for, i am hoping to keep as far under £200 as possible< thanks

YOU CAN BUILD A BLINK CODE READER YOURSELF FOR A FEW QUID!
MB_TST5.jpg

OR BUY ONE

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I always hesitate with SL's for that very reason :oops:- they were always fiddling with electronic/diagnostic upgrades during the cars life - when did STAR become the diagnostic system of choice? Was it with the intro of the 38 PIN Diagnostic connector?

I always hesitate with SL's for that very reason :oops:- they were always fiddling with electronic/diagnostic upgrades during the cars life - when did STAR become the diagnostic system of choice? Was it with the intro of the 38 PIN Diagnostic connector?

Yes. 129 95/96 cars were the first to have it. Its a godsend tbh. Using the blink tester on a roof fault is an ****.

hi thank you for all this additional help and information, the car was registered in January 1996. so right in the middle of the 95/96 period, so sounds like a definate 'star' diagnostics.
are there any other diagnostic units which handle this as well or do i need an actual star unit, i assume they are expensive pieces of kit?
it the control unit is U/S can i try to get a 2nd hand unit or or?

very many thanks for all your assistance once again in this only having had the car a short time i am learning a great deal in a short time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom