• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

2004 CL500 ABC Issue

Meatfeast

Car
CL500 C215 2004
Hi all,

I have a bit of a quandary, driving home this evening as I came out of a corner all of a sudden my dash lit up with the words ‘ABC Visit Workshop!’

Immediately that I saw the message I noticed that the car started to bounce and felt very floaty, which was very concerning to say the least!

However, thankfully I was very near home, so when I pulled onto the drive, I got out of the car while the engine was still running, to see the car sat at its highest point on its suspension.

I pressed on the car and the body bounced up and down very easily.

I was quite shocked, so I got back in the car and turned off the engine, I left it for a minute or so and then restarted the car. I pressed the raise button and the car raised up no problem and then went back down, but on climbing out of the car, it was clear the suspension was still at its highest level and that the bounce was still there.

The ABC message on the dashboard had disappeared, so now there were no warnings at all.

When the warning first appeared, the writing was white and not red. I had the rear shocks replaced about four months ago so if anybody has any ideas, I would be very grateful.

The car is still sitting high both front and back.

Many thanks.

When the ABC-system was introduced, there were cases when valves were replaced
because struts got stuck. After some consideration, Mercedes introduced the "Rodeo test".
This test, performed with Xentry, stresses the system, rocks the car around and listens
for error codes. The ABC system capacity is tested and any malfunction is revealed.

Running the rodeo test also loosens any debris in the oil system and "lubricates"
the valves and the struts.

It is important to have the ABC oil (and filter) changed at reasonable intervalls. At least on the M/Y2000
there was no interval specified at all (!!) When fresh, the hydraulic oil is green, transparent and smells
like oil. If the color is grey, the oil is opaque and smells rotten, the change
is long overdue. The filter is located on the filler cap. When OK it is white (or light green).

After some 10,000 kms, the pulsation damper will most likely be worn out. It is easily tested.
At standstill and in Neutral gear, rev the engine. If there is a rumbleing sound that disappears
above ~1800 RPM, the pulsation damper needs to be replaced.

It is important for the ABC system to be in good condition. Should the pump break
because of bad oil, metal parts risk getting into the system. Repairing it is very
expenceive. Any CL owner( or possible buyer must check the oil the first thing
when looking for this very wonderful car.)

When parked, it is OK for the car to lower itself with time, but there is a limit of how much
this can be tolerated. When I parked my CL for the snowy season, I rised it, put a buch of
wood blocks under the service pads and then lowered the car. Thus , the struts was
under no stress and the tyres did not flatten.

:)

Alex on legitstreetcars.com (Ex MB technician) took on a V12 , he's still working on it. If you search his content he works on the ABC system on many of then , as well as removing and stripping down the engine to replace a £1 'o' ring.

Worth watching all of his videos regarding the CLK and skipping to the bits about ABC.

faults on older ABC systems are not for the feint hearted. I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Been out to the car today, as soon as I walked outside I could see that the body was sitting at its normal height, so I tried to see if it would bounce and it was absolutely fine!

So gingerly I fired the engine up and no warnings, so I thought I’d take for a gentle run, everything was fine!

I haven’t pressed the raise/lower setting or the sport setting, I thought it best to leave it alone, but the car drove perfectly and seemed to handle just fine.

When I got home I checked the ABC fluid level and whilst it’s ok, it is a tad low on the dipstick, it’s fairly marginal but it isn‘t completely full. Could this have been what caused the problem and if so what oil/fluid do I need to get to top it up, I have had a look online but there are a few to choose from?

Many thanks.

Been out to the car today, as soon as I walked outside I could see that the body was sitting at its normal height, so I tried to see if it would bounce and it was absolutely fine!

So gingerly I fired the engine up and no warnings, so I thought I’d take for a gentle run, everything was fine!

I haven’t pressed the raise/lower setting or the sport setting, I thought it best to leave it alone, but the car drove perfectly and seemed to handle just fine.

When I got home I checked the ABC fluid level and whilst it’s ok, it is a tad low on the dipstick, it’s fairly marginal but it isn‘t completely full. Could this have been what caused the problem and if so what oil/fluid do I need to get to top it up, I have had a look online but there are a few to choose from?

Many thanks.
Opie Oils website has a fluid checker .
MB parts will sell you a L of it
I think it’s CHF11s or something like that ??

Many thanks.
Watch the Legitstreetcars video I posted. The can of oil Alex uses is clearly shown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom