2005 CLK headlights and adjustment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thebiglad

Car
'05 CLK270 cdi
Hi all, haven't got an owners manual or workshop manual yet for my new-to-me CLK, so could someone tell me which of these adjusters does the up & down, on my halogen (non-projector) headlamps :

P1050915.JPG

Also can anyone advice how I fully remove the electric motor that adjusts the ride height, in the headlight? I twisted it and it came undone but is still held by something inside the light unit.

Never touched the headlamp motor, but the uppermost adjuster is for up and down.

Never touched the headlamp motor, but the uppermost adjuster is for up and down.
Thanks Codger that's great.

So now knowing the up 'n down one, I can assume the lower adjuster is for left and right adjustment and get things set-up for over here in France.

In the past when I've bought UK cars with non-projector headlights, they have had a dipped beam pattern a bit light this \___, obviously designed to light up the verge when driving in UK. But on this car the dipped beam is almost perfectly flat ____, so it looks like I'll be able to get away without changing them come French MOT time.

Think the adjusting motor clips onto the reflector and just pulls off after twisting the motor to free it from the light housing.
If it's anything like my volvo it's a pita to get back on without removing the headlight...

Last edited:
Think the adjusting motor clips onto the reflector and just pulls off after twisting the motor to free it from the light housing.
If it's anything like my volvo it's a pita to get back on without removing the headlight...
Thanks for that EVM, I was wondering if it's worth trying to get better access to the interior via the dip or main beam cavities.

Hiya, to adjust the lamps, use a 10mm socket, don't try and use the central hole, it'll round out. Good luck.

Hiya, to adjust the lamps, use a 10mm socket, don't try and use the central hole, it'll round out. Good luck.
Thanks for that Martin - I did try a large flat-blade screwdriver which didn't work very well as you suggest, and when I looked at the pics I took it become obvious to me as well that a socket is the way to go.

Really love this car ............................................

Where abouts in France are you, biglad?

I’m in the uk, but family all lived in France until last year....they were in Poitou Charentes (around 100km north of Bordeaux). Must say that the CLK cab was a joy over there...perfect for rolling through the vineyards in the summer. I miss visiting each year!

Indre is in the Loire if I recall...lovely area!!!

Thanks Codger that's great.

So now knowing the up 'n down one, I can assume the lower adjuster is for left and right adjustment and get things set-up for over here in France.

In the past when I've bought UK cars with non-projector headlights, they have had a dipped beam pattern a bit light this \___, obviously designed to light up the verge when driving in UK. But on this car the dipped beam is almost perfectly flat ____, so it looks like I'll be able to get away without changing them come French MOT time.
You will find there is a level inside the headlight (once flicked) will make the light pattern flat. I know that is the case for the W211 E Class.

You will find there is a lever inside the headlight (once flicked) will make the light pattern flat. I know that is the case for the W211 E Class.
Thanks for your Major (stand easy, stand EASY !!!) but I think the adjuster you refer to is only on models with 'projector style' headlights, mine are std. halogen non-projector style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom