2005 Mercedes cl203 draining battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Krzysztof87

Car
C220 CDI coupe
Hi everyone,
I have heck of the problem. My cl203 220cdi recently started to drain battery over just couple of hours while standing. Problem started recently when visiting my family. While on the motorway I thought it would be good Idea to clean DPF, so did as per instructions, over 60mph for about 25-30min. I think it worked, coz found black particles on the rear bumper after I parked the car.
Then, I only been couple of hours at my family place but when returned and unlocked the car, lights only flashed for split second with strange click (like electric short-circuit) and opened just a driver door. Control light for the glow plugs didn't appear at all and soon after key event didn't turn anymore leaving steering wheel locked. I was completely powerless. Checked all the fuses but no fault found. Checked battery with multimeter - dead. Disconnected battery and charged over the night. Next morning after putting battery back I was able to switch on car as usual, then drove to the garage where they inspected alternator, which appears to be fine and charge as it should. Next I went to Halfords to check battery which I bought 5months ago - health check of battery ok and alternator Checked again ok. So I went home, was nice day so I've done headlamp restoration. It took me about two hours and when tried to test the light (restoration results) I found my battery dead again. I know it's a lengthy post but wanted to include as many details as possible. I understand there is possibility of parasitic drain but in just few hours?! Any ideas where to start from? I always like to try to fix/learn stuff myself or at least find the root cause of issue before handing over to the garage.

Last edited:
Assuming the battery and alternator have been tested correctly…
I would be testing for a parasitic discharge.
Flattening a fully charged battery in two hours is pretty unlikely as around 30 amps would be flowing which at a nominal 12 volts is 360 watts. Something would be getting pretty hot (it could be a block heater).
The normal test for a parasitic discharge would be to put an ammeter in line with the battery negative (to start off with). If there really is 30 amps flowing you would be unlikely to have an ammeter that can measure up to that amount so my best advice is to take it to a reputable auto electrician.

It’s not a CL - so don’t use that as a search term to trace info. (The CL is an S Class based coupe)

Firstly charge the battery overnight, disconnect, leave it half an hour then check voltage, it should be 12.5-12.7V if it’s only at 12 you have a weak battery; get the battery stress tested At Halfords or a garage/motor factors.
Battery life is around 5 yrs these days - date will be stamped on a terminal, four digits, week/year.

If it’s ok, get alternator tested……. If that’s ok….

C class can have issues with alarm sirens failing, but it can also be many other systems, ie Comand head units not shutting down correctly. Keyless entry, block heater, etc.

There are some good how to videos on you tube on tracing parasitic drains, but you will need a DC mA clamp meter. Then you can narrow down to a “system” - you may then need to get it hooked up to star diagnostics (not generic) to pinpoint a component (or get an auto electrician well versed with MBs, to trace it.

frustrating as hell to trace - good hunting 👍

Attachments

• 8050FE0D-CCFB-4028-A0D4-FE58DC11620F.jpeg
    8050FE0D-CCFB-4028-A0D4-FE58DC11620F.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 8
A common problem with these is the electric seats draining the battery. I remember rewiring my drivers seat to years ago which stopped it.

A common problem with these is the electric seats draining the battery. I remember rewiring my drivers seat to years ago which stopped it.
Thanks, but don't have electric seats, which actually I'm happy about. Less to fail ☺️

It’s not a CL - so don’t use that as a search term to trace info. (The CL is an S Class based coupe)

Firstly charge the battery overnight, disconnect, leave it half an hour then check voltage, it should be 12.5-12.7V if it’s only at 12 you have a weak battery; get the battery stress tested At Halfords or a garage/motor factors.
Battery life is around 5 yrs these days - date will be stamped on a terminal, four digits, week/year.

C class can have issues with alarm sirens failing, but it can also be many other systems, ie Comand head units not shutting down correctly. Keyless entry, block heater, etc.

There are some good how to videos on you tube on tracing parasitic drains, but you will need a DC mA clamp meter. Then you can narrow down to a “system” - you may then need to get it hooked up to star diagnostics (not generic) to pinpoint a component (or get an auto electrician well versed with MBs, to trace it.

That's a really nice comprehensive answer 👍 I truly appreciate it as it's something which I can start off. Yes, I have ac/DC multimeter so thanks for the chart too. Top man!
Regarding cl203. Mine w203

Thanks, very comprehensive answer, much appreciated 👍. Yes, I have ac/DC multimeter so your tips and chart attached are much welcome. Something to start from 😃👍
Regarding of "CL" i didn't use it 😉. It's cl203 sub model of w203 in coupé body style. It's needed to be mention when ordering certain parts and just got used to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220219-151808.png
    Screenshot_20220219-151808.png
    567.9 KB · Views: 3
Update:
After long investigation of the issue it appeared to be radio/head unit. When locking the car radio switching itself ON, and when unlocking it switches off. Temporarily problem solved by removing fuse. Electrician said that it's radio fault and replacement required, as he never seen before such malfunction. I would like to upgrade to android version, but my concern is if the radio get installed and problem re-appear. Is the root cause radio?

I had this problem on the wife's clc when her comand head unit died. Even when I removed the head unit the battery would die overnight. I ended up removing 3 fuses so she could use it until I had a new basic JVC unit installed. Put the fuses back in and the (new) battery was fine again.

As a side note, I could never get the radio reception to work as good as the comand, even after adding the ariel booster connector, but that's another issue. Always something....

I had this problem on the wife's clc when her comand head unit died. Even when I removed the head unit the battery would die overnight. I ended up removing 3 fuses so she could use it until I had a new basic JVC unit installed. Put the fuses back in and the (new) battery was fine again.

As a side note, I could never get the radio reception to work as good as the comand, even after adding the ariel booster connector, but that's another issue. Always something....
Thanks, I've bought a replacement head unit from breakers (sadly with peeling film screen) was £32. Tomorrow is going to be installed as I was waiting for passenger seat occupancy module to be delivered so my electrician can reset SRS fault at the same time. Will post update if this fixed the issue.

Update on battery drain. Used radio head unit which I purchased was installed and problem solved. Thanks everyone for your comments, it was very helpful.

Hi Krzysztof87
I am having intermittant problems with SRS warning.
Can you please provide information about passenger seat occupancy module.
Did it solve your problem ?
Thanks.
John

Hi Krzysztof87
I am having intermittant problems with SRS warning.
Can you please provide information about passenger seat occupancy module.
Did it solve your problem ?
Thanks.
John
Hi,
Yes, it's been resolved. In my one it was passenger seat occupancy mat causing this issue. I bought a seat occupancy sensor bypass module on eBay For Mercedes C-Class W203 (2000-2004) Bypass Seat Occupancy Mat Sensor Emulator | eBay

It was just plug and play, didn't even had to plug to diagnostic as the warning light disappeared after turning ignition. Just make sure that your keys are not in the ignition while installing. To tidy up I've used couple of cable ties.

Hope this will resolve your issue.
Good luck 🤞
Krzysztof

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom