2007 W164 COMAND Aux input

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
Good evening, gentlemen. The chap from whom I bought my W164 (COMAND unit with six-disc CD changer, no SD card slot) told me that it did not have any aux input, but there's a 3.5 mm jack plug socket in the glove box on r/h side half-way back beneath the CD changer.

The datacard does not mention an Aux socket. The COMAND owner's manual has instructions on how to use the Aux mode, and when I select Aux mode on the unit the appropriate menu appears (which may be a clue), but all it says about connection is:

"An external audio source can be connected to the COMAND. For further information, please
contact a Mercedes-Benz service centre".

I'm inclined to think that the socket in the glove box is an audio Aux socket, presumably dealer-fitted using an MB kit. I assume it will be standard MB, i.e. input only, with no live feed for whatever is connected to it. Does anybody know whether I am correct, and assuming I am, can anybody recommend a suitable SD card or USB stick player?

Good evening, gentlemen. The chap from whom I bought my W164 (COMAND unit with six-disc CD changer, no SD card slot) told me that it did not have any aux input, but there's a 3.5 mm jack plug socket in the glove box on r/h side half-way back beneath the CD changer.

The datacard does not mention an Aux socket. The COMAND owner's manual has instructions on how to use the Aux mode, and when I select Aux mode on the unit the appropriate menu appears (which may be a clue), but all it says about connection is:

"An external audio source can be connected to the COMAND. For further information, please
contact a Mercedes-Benz service centre".

I'm inclined to think that the socket in the glove box is an audio Aux socket, presumably dealer-fitted using an MB kit. I assume it will be standard MB, i.e. input only, with no live feed for whatever is connected to it. Does anybody know whether I am correct, and assuming I am, can anybody recommend a suitable SD card or USB stick player?
Hi - Unfortunately the folks who I bought mine from only managed to provide the owners manual for the vehicle, no datacard or COMAND owners manual.
As I said in my earlier post I'm only interested in music and would have preferred bluetooth connectivity. I had previously purchased a bluetooth adapter from Amazon ( https://tinyurl.com/r895qay ) and thought I'd give it a go in the Aux port. It worked so I'm all good. I have it fixed to the dash above the ashtray, 3.5mm aux cable to the port in the glovebox and USB for power to 12v socket in the footwell under the glovebox. Select aux on the headunit and bluetooth from phone to adapter. I assume it's only input with no live feed but it is only an assumption.
Hope this helps but as I've only had the car a week, don't have the relative manuals or expertise probably best to wait for an expert ;)

p.s. - there are cheaper adapters around that will probably do the job as well - this can be switched between tx/rx

Thanks for that. It sounds as though the aux socket in the car is passive only, then. How many contact bands are there on the jack plug that goes into the car socket; two, three or four?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom