2016 C200 AMG Line 'new' car detail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not holding my breath at hearing anything more back from the dealers. It's such a large place (you could say giant ;) ) that it's not easy to get through to someone on the phone and I suppose emails are easy to ignore once the initial response has been sent to give an impression that something might happen. :(

As a back up I've found a simple chrome number plate surround for £8 that can be fixed using the crooked self tapped holes (after I've put some paint/grease on them to stop future rust). I can fit a new number plate on to the surround (it sort of locks in somehow rather than being stuck on). I'll get replacement front and rear plates in that case as I'll be blowed if I'm going to advertise the supplying dealer.

Number plate surround.jpg

I'll have to block up the hole where the rivnut has been ripped out somehow: I don't know if a new rivnut will fit as I suspect it was pulled out from the outside with the numberplace (the hole is bend outwards like a cartoon 'explosion'). Maybe have to tap it down after I take the boot liner out if I can get a dolly in behind it, then see if I can Araldite something in from the back. I'd hate to just fill the hole with silicon, though I suppose it's hidden from view and the main thing is to prevent water getting in and future rusting.

I know it's a first world problem, but it's really irritated me and that the dealer seems to have just ignored my complaint (and an 80 mile round trip isn't worth the effort).

I've ordered the surround and my wife came back from visiting her friends in it, so as the rain has stopped I got on and DA polished the boot, roof and back bumper (I'd forgotten). Gave it a quick wash all over, then put another coat of AG Extra Gloss enhancer on it, which beads up really well when it rained this morning.

Hard to show this light colour off well, but managed to catch the clouds reflected in the roof quite nicely:

Roof polished.png

Bonnet polished and two coats of EGP, now it feels really smooth and not like sandpaper:

Bonnet polished.png

Not that you can tell much difference from the earlier photos, but the whole car done now:

Offside polished.png

Just service stuff to do now and the number surround when it arrives.

I got a response from the dealer this morning; two options:

1. Book it in and take it back to them, may take up to 48 hours to diagnose the fault and order any parts(!). That's an 80 mile round trip for me, plus I guess a return train journey too.

2. We will cover the one hour diagnostic cost for the garage to inspect your concerns. With regards to repairs required , we will need to see a full breakdown cost including parts/labour inc VAT. One received we will review costing if reasonable we will authorise the repair however if not the vehicle will need to return to xxxxxxx for its repair.

Since option 1 will cost me more than a pair of very fancy number plates to be supplied and fitted locally, then that's no good. Plus it would probably come back with even more holes drilled in it.

Option 2 could leave me out of pocket if they refute the costing, plus it seems a bit OTT when we can all see from my two photos what the problem is. The whole response was obviously just a generic one, more appropriate for a mechanical fault than this sort.

I offered them Option 3 to send me an undrilled replacement number plate, but I'm not holding my breath. For now I will refit theirs to the chrome mount when it comes and I'll probably just order a pair of plain number plates from the local motor factors.

Inching closer to having this finished, so I can get on with the RS2000 project (I will start a thread under General discussion, thanks for the tip W1ghty).

Today I took out the air and underbonnet cabin filters to check sizes as it wasn't clear which parts I needed looking on line. I'm glad I did as it helped me work out which bits I needed and consequently I was able to buy everything from eBay sellers (Bosch, Mann, Shell Helix Ultra oil, etc). I ended up buying 10 litres of oil rather than 5 + 2 as it worked out more, plus next service I'll only need to buy a 5 litre bottle. I'd already given some of the underbonnet area a clean/degrease with the Screwfix degreaser, but some more parts that I took off to gain access to the filters got a better clean while I was at it:

TbAEc3o.png

j0d1j5l.png

Deducing the cost of the extra 3 litres I bought the whole service parts add up to £95: Oil, air and both cabin filters, plus the engine oil. I will probably take it to an Indy for the gearbox filter/oil change though once I've checked their prices as I might not save too much money and it looks a bit of a pain to do without a proper car lift: I do have two car ramps though, so might see how much space I have with it up on them first.

After I put the engine bay covers back on I cleaned up under the back bumper (splitter?) and polished the exhaust tips too. I'm sure the neighbours now think I'm completely mad, but 5 minutes with some Scotchbrite and metal polish looks much so better and the staining under the bumper cleaned/polished off too.

I'm still waiting to here back about the wonky number plate...I hope I don't trigger anyone who hates AMG badges, but it was already on there when I got it and I don't fancy trying to remove it if it risks scratching paint underneath, so look away now if it offends. ;)

vK9Aszi.jpg

Service bits due to arrive on Tuesday/Wednesday, so I might have time to polish the bonnet and roof before then.
Easy to remove badges, have done it numerous times over the years & NEVER scratched the paintwork. Just last week removed the SLC 300 badges & did likewise on an SLK & on dozens of company cars, especially D badges! On a brand new Audi cabriolet the first thing I did was to remove A3 & TFSI (or whatever) badges. Again on a brand new black Honda S2000 that has a reputation for soft paint I
removed the wing badges no problem. Just dribble some sticky label remover (from any hobby/craft shop) behind each letter, allow it to be absorbed then with your finger (use may have to use your nails) start to gently pull the letter away from the bodywork, applying pressure on all sides to avoid the letter getting an angle & touching the body. Have a cloth to wipe away excess & dribbles not that the paintwork will get damaged by the fluid. Additional doses of remover will slowly weaken the adhesive until the letter eventually comes off. When all letters removed, further label remover then cleaner & polish will remove any remaining marks. BUT if the badge has been on there for years you risk the exposed paintwork being darker having not been subjected to the same level of natural fading as the rest of the car.

Dental floss to slice it off in a cheese wire stylee.....sticky stuff remover or similar for the remaining goo. Simples

I'll leave it on then.

It doesn't bother me, though it does seem to trigger some people.

I spotted some feint scuffs along the lower part of the passenger door yesterday as I buffed the EGP in the sunshine, so I went over them with the DA and removed 99% of them. Just waiting for some eBay deliveries now though a shame they are spread over the next three days rather than all at once: Replacement wheel centres, the number plate surround, all the service parts/filters/oil and even some spare batteries for the key fobs.

I'm waiting to hear back from our local garage for a quote to do the gearbox oil/filter. However I think I'll end up doing it myself once I check how much space I will have if I put the car up on my ramps. I can buy the service kit of geniune parts/oil from MB Newcastle for £155 and figures so far elsewhere on this forum indicate £350 mark to have it done, so I'd rather save £200 and DIY. I have time now I'm retired so £200 saving for an afternoon's work seems a fair swap.

I'm not holding my breath at hearing anything more back from the dealers. It's such a large place (you could say giant ;)
That'll be that Giant place in NW London that sells Cars then?
Remind me to give that a miss next time I'm looking for a motor.

Easy to remove badges, have done it numerous times over the years & NEVER scratched the paintwork. Just last week removed the SLC 300 badges & did likewise on an SLK & on dozens of company cars, especially D badges! On a brand new Audi cabriolet the first thing I did was to remove A3 & TFSI (or whatever) badges. Again on a brand new black Honda S2000 that has a reputation for soft paint I
removed the wing badges no problem. Just dribble some sticky label remover (from any hobby/craft shop) behind each letter, allow it to be absorbed then with your finger (use may have to use your nails) start to gently pull the letter away from the bodywork, applying pressure on all sides to avoid the letter getting an angle & touching the body. Have a cloth to wipe away excess & dribbles not that the paintwork will get damaged by the fluid. Additional doses of remover will slowly weaken the adhesive until the letter eventually comes off. When all letters removed, further label remover then cleaner & polish will remove any remaining marks. BUT if the badge has been on there for years you risk the exposed paintwork being darker having not been subjected to the same level of natural fading as the rest of the car.

Yep this. DId my EQC the day it was delivered, and the badges actually came off really easy without much force. Once the adhesive was removed, went over with some AG SRP. All good.

That'll be that Giant place in NW London that sells Cars then?
Remind me to give that a miss next time I'm looking for a motor.
I couldn't possibly comment. ;)

Given the saving against other dealers I would go back again, just I'd maybe be a bit less polite in refusing the extras such as paint protection and extended warranty...just sell me the car and let me get going. Effectively it's a trade sale, though had something major gone on the drive home (or over the next three months) then I'd have a little more comeback than a private sale for example.

Thinking I might buy some AMG badges for the front grille. ;) Honestly I wouldn't have put any ON the car, but I'm not taking it off just to please some strangers on the Internet.

Fishing line or dental floss as recommended and wd40 gets the glue off no problem.

Thinking I might buy some AMG badges for the front grille. ;) Honestly I wouldn't have put any ON the car, but I'm not taking it off just to please some strangers on the Internet.
You really need to go the whole hog and stick on a couple of these:
s-l300.jpg
That'll do it.
:p

Found this grille on eBay; I like the later style diamond point on, though it's a bit of a faff due to having to take the whole front bumper off. It'll go nicely with those badges you showed me @SpikyMikey
AMG Grille 2.jpg

Either that or a copy one I found for £49.99, though as it's lacking the badge I'm not so sure it's worth the saving. ;)

Later grille £50.jpg

Found this grille on eBay; I like the later style diamond point on, though it's a bit of a faff due to having to take the whole front bumper off. It'll go nicely with those badges you showed me @SpikyMikey
View attachment 129095

Either that or a copy one I found for £49.99, though as it's lacking the badge I'm not so sure it's worth the saving. ;)

View attachment 129096
You have to remove the bumper on a 205? That's a backwards step from the 204, which is pretty easy to replace the grille.

Yes, it's a bit of a pain as I had a look to see if there was any way to do it without removing the bumper, but there are parts in the way of the lower clips.

Seems like I might get a Halfords rear number plate paid for by the dealer, though if I want a front one to match they are the most expensive place to buy from, so I might as well buy a pair elsewhere out of my own pocket. I'm hoping the surround arrives today so I can at least use the existing holes and straighten it up: We're off to visit family tomorrow and I'd like it looking it's best. I'll get a decent drive of it too as I've barely been anywhere in it since we got back from the dealers.

Also have an air filter and wheel centre caps that might arrive today: I've decided I'm going to do the gearbox service myself in a couple of week's time: I'll do the engine oil change next week (don't want to risk the slight possibility of anything going wrong today before our trip). MB Newcastle have been very helpful giving me a link to the correct kit for my 7G+ gearbox and for the full torque convertor flush job (9 litres). Not that there is anything wrong with the gear change, but it's preventative maintenance. The parts are £175 verses about £200 more to have it done, so I figure an afternoon of my time is worth the saving.

Of course now I've got it all polished up it is raining...at least it's beading nicely. Two coats of Autoglym extra gloss protection:

Beading close up.png

You really need to go the whole hog and stick on a couple of these:
View attachment 129093
That'll do it.
:p
I did that on a Mercedes & it didn't 'arf impress a couple of pretty nurses from work that I gave a lift to. When they spotted one of these badges on the centre console they chorused "Oh look it's a special edition". Be assured I was the hero of the moment & I was putty in their hands. Have already added a small AMG badge to the front grille, AMG letters & painted the AMG letters on the alloys red of my latest Mercedes a car that is NOT a genuine AMG just to witness the indignant irritated huffing & puffing by the AMG lot next time I'm at a show. This post reminds me I must get one of these little badges again so thanks. I'm not a fan of the Beulieu museum especially in August but I might just turn up for the Simply Mercedes week-end just to witness the reaction - but on the other hand maybe not. Oh I forgot I did buy a black AMG baseball hat to wear backwards.

The surround didn't arrive, though I got an email about it without any content but it was supposedly 'important information about my order' so who knows if it's coming or not now. I'm away for a few days visiting family, so I just popped the engine air filter in and decided not to risk doing an oil change just incase it didn't go to plan. Had another session cleaning little bits and pieces inside, though just bits of crud that had got stuck in grooves between switches, etc.

Beading was good after the heavier rain too:

Beading boot 1.png

On the roof too:

Beading roof 1.png

It'll be interesting to see how long the EGP lasts as I was under the impression it's more like a detailing spray in that it'll bead for a while then wear off. Will see I guess. Looking forward to a decent run in it as I haven't really been anywhere yet.

I managed to get that slightly shiny look off the seats after a good clean; they've come out really nicely, especially for a 31,000 miles/6 years old interior.

Front seats.png

I don't think the back seats have been sat in much at all as they were pretty good to start with, but I gave them a quick clean anyway:

Rear seats.png

Last edited:
The surround didn't arrive, though I got an email about it without any content but it was supposedly 'important information about my order' so who knows if it's coming or not now. I'm away for a few days visiting family, so I just popped the engine air filter in and decided not to risk doing an oil change just incase it didn't go to plan. Had another session cleaning little bits and pieces inside, though just bits of crud that had got stuck in grooves between switches, etc.

Beading was good after the heavier rain too:

View attachment 129163

On the roof too:

View attachment 129164

It'll be interesting to see how long the EGP lasts as I was under the impression it's more like a detailing spray in that it'll bead for a while then wear off. Will see I guess. Looking forward to a decent run in it as I haven't really been anywhere yet.

I managed to get that slightly shiny look off the seats after a good clean; they've come out really nicely, especially for a 31,000 miles/6 years old interior.

View attachment 129168

I don't think the back seats have been sat in much at all as they were pretty good to start with, but I gave them a quick clean anyway:

View attachment 129169
Looks mint EGP will last a good while

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom