3G comand module ident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Huffnpuff

Car
AMG premium e220D
Does anyone know or can tell what module my car has is it going to be affected by 3G sundown I have tried speaking to mercedes me but got nowhere to be honest this is the first mb I have owned and am floundering a bit it was purchased in June this year and the dealership said nothing about 3G being turned off my wife is a foster carer and has to drive a couple hundred miles and the navigation on it was very good but without it I'll have to get rid of it I see that my mercedes me app has tonight lost some of the features like climate and welcome if anyone can help please give me a bit of guidance cheers

Hello and welcome along.

A little more detail on the actual car you are asking about will help us help you . It's age ?

The easiest way is by simply posting the VIN on here and someone will decode it for you and then we will know exactly which ICE unit the car has installed. We can go from there.

If your car does have a 3G module, and you otherwise would like to keep the car then there may be options available to you.

Firstly the Satnav may co tongue to work. However it may not receive map or traffic updates, and you’d have to enter locations rather than send from her smartphone.

A magnetic smartphone mount and a charging cable would allow your wife to use Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze on her phone screen (arguably better map data).

If th3 smartphone screen is too small then you could have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto installed so that her preferred map app appears on the cars central screen.

Hi thank you for your suggestions I am not very tech savvy so don't really know if the apple car play or android auto would work on the car in fact I have never heard of them ( older generation, coffin dodger you know what I mean ) The dealership knew exactly why my wife needed the SOS facility live traffic etc etc I feel we have been conned out of actually 20 years of saving to get the car and haven't had it more than six months if a workaround could be found that would be great only I am just not in the digital world really we do not even have the internet at home if someone can analyse the VIN number to see exactly what we have that would be great.Thanyou once again for your help

Hi thank you for your suggestions I am not very tech savvy so don't really know if the apple car play or android auto would work on the car in fact I have never heard of them ( older generation, coffin dodger you know what I mean ) The dealership knew exactly why my wife needed the SOS facility live traffic etc etc I feel we have been conned out of actually 20 years of saving to get the car and haven't had it more than six months if a workaround could be found that would be great only I am just not in the digital world really we do not even have the internet at home if someone can analyse the VIN number to see exactly what we have that would be great.Thanyou once again for your help
Does your wife have a smartphone? If she does then she can use Apple Maps (for iPhone) or Google Maps for Android phone without installing any other software.

Have a look to see if you can see the app on her phone, it will be there aomewher ein the home screen. If she can use the satnav in the car then she will definitely be able to use Maps on her phone.

If she can use it but finds the screen too small then it is possible to show it on the screen in your car.. This will require an expert to install Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in you car, but this will automatically present on to the car’s screen the apps on her smartphone, including Maps.

Before incurring any expense on installation, make sure she practices with Google Maps and Apple Maps on her smartphone, as it’s the same thing, just on a bigger screen in the car.

HI thank you for replying the vin is WDD2130042A726184 the car is 2019
That has the LTE (4G) module :)
And the SmartPhone integration package (CarPlay / Android Auto) - plug phone into USB port in centre armrest with the phone logo on it (USB port nearest driver on RHD cars)

Thank you so much for your reply Bobby Dazzler your knowledge is exceptional it all seems like smoke and mirrors to me more akin to Alcemy to do what you were suggesting I would need someone's help to set it up but by what you say a workaround is possible.

Thank you so much for your reply Bobby Dazzler your knowledge is exceptional it all seems like smoke and mirrors to me more akin to Alcemy to do what you were suggesting I would need someone's help to set it up but by what you say a workaround is possible.
See post number 7.

Richard thank you for your response that's great news if it has the LTE 4G Module and a weight off my mind sorry to sound a bit dense but does that mean all my functions will continue to work when 3G is turned off? If they all work why would I need the smartphone plugged in

Richard thank you for your response that's great news if it has the LTE 4G Module and a weight off my mind sorry to sound a bit dense but does that mean all my functions will continue to work when 3G is turned off? If they all work why would I need the smartphone plugged in
They will work. If you plug in the phone you can use Google Maps, Waze etc for navigation which have proper live traffic, show speed limits etc. which is nice !

That's brilliant thank you very much for help and advice much appreciated

Just a reminder that the live traffic data for the car's built in navigation system (provided over 4g) is free for the first 3 years, and after that it will only work if you purchase a subscription for it via the Mercedes me app.

The above is not applicable to the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functions, which once purchased are free to use. And since your car already have these, it won't cost you anything to use them. By the way, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto do not use the car's 3g or 4g at all, so they woul have worked even if your car had the old 3g modem.

But the SOS function does require the 4g connection, so having 4g in the car is still good news.

Having said that, if you do intend to use the car's built in navigation system (as opposed to using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto), then you should make sure that the maps data is up to date - again, the maps data update is only free for the first 3 years, after that it requires a trip to the dealer and paying for the new maps.

Thank you Markjay for the additional information and making it clear to me as i have said i am lost in the digital world so writing it so that i can understand is very much appreciated cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom