996 Turbo to an SL400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What makes you think a 996 is reliable? Owners tell a different story
Mine's a Turbo , they're pretty bombproof and I do all the work on it myself as i have a large workshop and a lift. They're very simple really and very cheap if you do it yourself. Let's face it all cars have problems and always will.
I've just done a transmission/torque converter fluid change on the E280 , cost £210 for the kit from Merc and about 2 hours time. A lift makes things so much easier obviously.

Last edited:
The Boxster was brilliant for touring , it has a "frunk" and a boot. Once did an hour solid at 115mph (wife being the speed limiter) in Germany in that , just a 986 2.7. The 911 has a load of space in the back (seats) as well as the frunk , I hardly take anything , just a small travel bag.

Mine's a Turbo , they're pretty bombproof and I do all the work on it myself as i have a large workshop and a lift. They're very simple really and very cheap if you do it yourself. Let's face it all cars have problems and always will.
I've just done a transmission/torque converter fluid change on the E280 , cost £210 for the kit from Merc and about 2 hours time. A lift makes things so much easier obviously.
Excellent - then maintenance cost isn't an issue for you.

My point was that the 996 Turbo takes far more maintenance than any SL

I went back to look at the 400 last night..what a car for the money. I mean I'm not looking to get a car to match the 911 for road manners etc , this car will only be used for big trips in the Summer , for £30k you can get a peachy one.
I'm not giving up on an SL just yet , I know which my wife would prefer and that's more than half the battle won already
I like the fact that a simple ECU tune can get it up to serious power and torque levels for not a huge expense , it's good on fuel and tax isn't too bad either. I'm semi retired and have to watch the pennies now , I was foolish in my youth and didn't really get a pension set up although I have great memories.
The only thing I don't like about it is the rear end, looks too feminine to me , the previous R230 was spot on and still looks good to me but the new one? ..it's those massive lights I think.
Bro in law had a R231 on a 16 plate and the rear really doesn’t float my boat.

The 996 Turbo is a good strong engine, I don’t think it’s the same one as my Carrera 4S.

The Boxster was brilliant for touring , it has a "frunk" and a boot. Once did an hour solid at 115mph (wife being the speed limiter) in Germany in that , just a 986 2.7. The 911 has a load of space in the back (seats) as well as the frunk , I hardly take anything , just a small travel bag.
Understood, I've had two Boxsters myself and know the difference.

But you're talking about the 911, not the Boxster, so you've got a fifth of the boot space of an SL. Less boot space than an Mx5 and less space than two airline carry on bags.

Yes you can leave her luggage on show when you park up during the day, but a lot of people would view that as a security risk, and a lot of women want to take "more stuff" than a bloke, so it's something to think about.

The 996 Turbo is a good strong engine, I don’t think it’s the same one as my Carrera 4S.
Yes, quite different - no IMS issue for example. But service histories between an SL and 996 will be quite different. 911's aren't driven by little old ladies to the church and back on Sundays.

But SL's: well, they usually have had a high days and holidays life, which means less wear, less corrosion, and owners who don't mind paying for proper maintenance whenever it's needed.

Don't get me wrong: for the right people the 911 is that car for life. I'm just trying to point out the differences against the SL.

(Personally, I could never own a 911 because of the noise and ride quality, but that's my personal preference. I'd love a C4S on the driveway as a garden ornament.)

Life is tough when you live in a city where a bicycle gets you places faster than a 911 Turbo, and mainly drive in a county (Surrey) where an MX5 gets you anywhere as fast as a 911 Turbo. Times is hard.

Last edited:
Yes, quite different - no IMS issue for example. But service histories between an SL and 996 will be quite different. 911's aren't driven by little old ladies to the church and back on Sundays.

But SL's: well, they usually have had a high days and holidays life, which means less wear, less corrosion, and owners who don't mind paying for proper maintenance whenever it's needed.

Don't get me wrong: for the right people the 911 is that car for life. I'm just trying to point out the differences against the SL.

(Personally, I could never own a 911 because of the noise and ride quality, but that's my personal preference. I'd love a C4S on the driveway as a garden ornament.)
My C4S isn’t even a garden ornament anymore. 😞

Not really, it'a very simple car to be honest. Very basic electronics which helps but spark plug change is probably the most time consuming (on the Turbo) . I did a clutch, flywheel and IMS bearing swap on the Boxster and it really straight forward , the Turbo is quite similar in its construction.

Not really, it'a very simple car to be honest. Very basic electronics which helps but spark plug change is probably the most time consuming (on the Turbo) . I did a clutch, flywheel and IMS bearing swap on the Boxster and it really straight forward , the Turbo is quite similar in its construction.
For sure. My point was that the Mercedes is easier.

I'm still talking to my wife about how yours can get a holiday's worth of clothes into a 100 litre boot. Two cabin luggage-sized rollalongs ! Impressive.

If you want to scratch that itch as already said an SL63 is a bit of an animal when you want but cruises like any other SL when you want. Mine is for sale as well so there you go!

I went back to look at the 400 last night..what a car for the money. I mean I'm not looking to get a car to match the 911 for road manners etc , this car will only be used for big trips in the Summer , for £30k you can get a peachy one.
I'm not giving up on an SL just yet , I know which my wife would prefer and that's more than half the battle won already
I like the fact that a simple ECU tune can get it up to serious power and torque levels for not a huge expense , it's good on fuel and tax isn't too bad either. I'm semi retired and have to watch the pennies now , I was foolish in my youth and didn't really get a pension set up although I have great memories.
The only thing I don't like about it is the rear end, looks too feminine to me , the previous R230 was spot on and still looks good to me but the new one? ..it's those massive lights I think.

Why not look at a Jag XK or XKR? If you go for the coupe you don't get the roof-related things that can affect SL's plus they weigh around 200kg less.

The very best 5.0 XKs are £20k, not much more gets you in a low owner low mileage XKR.

The 996 Turbo is generally known to be reliable. The non turbo engine is the one with the problems which is the one that I’ve got.

Last edited:
Only going on the numerous faults the R230 has raised on the forum.
If you want reliability, buy Japanese. You know it.
Once again, my comment was that twenty year old 911 are less reliable than R230’s

Not that R230’s are fault free.

Is there anyone who doesn’t know that Lexus, Toyota, and Honda are more reliable than thee Europeans?

Look at the adverts for these two motors. You’ll see much more detail of repairs to a 911 turbo than you’ll see for an R230. It’s partly issues in the design, and partly pattern of ownership. The folks who bought a 996 Turbo drive very differently to R230 / R231 drivers.

Turbos were unreliable in their first five years of life. They don’t turn more reliable as they put on the miles.

But if you want a reliable motor, buy a Lexus.

Last edited:
Why not look at a Jag XK or XKR? If you go for the coupe you don't get the roof-related things that can affect SL's plus they weigh around 200kg less.

The very best 5.0 XKs are £20k, not much more gets you in a low owner low mileage XKR.
I was right into those about 5yrs ago , lovely cars but I don't think I'm a Jag man.

All i can add is the fact that if i want to enjoy the journey in comfort with no time constraints i always take the SL, if i want to definitely get somewhere at a certain time i take my Honda CRV !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom