9g-tronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I guess the next move for ZF would be a 10sp box then :rolleyes:

Where will it end - thinking about it, didn't a nifty little Dutch co. pre-date all of this 'we need another gear ratio' with their variomatics :D A Daf Daffodil with infinitely variable gear ratios, that's what we need.

Can't wait until the engineers see the light..........

Don't truck transmissions have up to 18 gears?
So a 9 speed is only half way.
I think 5 is enough.

Where will it end - thinking about it, didn't a nifty little Dutch co. pre-date all of this 'we need another gear ratio' with their variomatics :D A Daf Daffodil with infinitely variable gear ratios, that's what we need.

Can't wait until the engineers see the light..........

Fully variable transmissions (CVT) have been available for years, but can't handle high torque loadings, hence the traditional torque converter automatic soldiers on.

I work for Jaguar Land Rover. We have a 9 speed ZF gearbox in the Evoque already. After speaking to a powertrain engineer only yesterday, he said they were testing out a 12 speed gearbox for future models!
All this to reduce fuel consumption, and bring down the CO2 emissions.

I do wonder why Merc don't use the ZF 8 speed that Jag/Beemer use. No one seems to have a single bad word to say about it.

I test drove a 520d with the ZF 8 speeder and in Eco it was incredible whilst in Sport it clunked and jerked back into first. I must have experienced the single bad one in the world.

One thing is for sure - manual gearboxes will be a thing of the past in mainstream cars of the future, be that for better or worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom