A Class or HR-V???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rumble

Car
'89 190E (sold), '96 C180 (given away), '02 C240!
Going to look at some cars this weekend for the wifey (shes been a very good girl).

The choices are:

a) A Class A160 T Reg 1999 Auto - 84,000 miles, Aluminium silver, 1.6 Semi Auto, 6 months T&T, e/s/r, FMBSH, serviced 2 weeks ago, one previous lady owner. £3,200

or

b) Honda HR-V V Reg 1999 Auto - 85,000 miles, Metallic Yellow, Power steering, Drivers airbag, Passenger airbag, ABS, Remote Central locking, Immobiliser, CD player, Air con, honda service history, 2 owners, mot jan 07, tax jan 07. £3,150

Any thoughts on which is better to go for?? Tips on what to look out for problem area wise? High milage being the worst point mostly, then age, then....

Cheers in advance :)

Hmm, this is a toughy.

The A has good class and is a well thought out car but the semi auto box would put me off as they aren't the most reliable of boxes, whereas on the other hand the Honda will be reliable but can you stand the wife having a car known as a Hormone Replacement Vehicle.;) :D

Dieselman said:
Can you stand the wife having a car known as a Hormone Replacement Vehicle.;) :D

Thats a new one on me and shes american so I doubt she would have heard of it so shhh lets keep that between us on the forum shall we!!!

Honda, if you want reliability (and if you like bananas in that colour)
A Class if you want high bills for clutch, starter motor and alternator replacement as well as a few probable electrical faults........ (I'm ducking for the shots that are no doubt getting fired)

I'm sorry to say that looking at the figures quoted I would be inclined to go for the Honda. :)

After driving both of course.

Just my luck the Honda went before I could see it :( oh well!

Thanks guys for the helpful advice!!!

Try them both of course, then avoid the old style A-Class !!

Semi auto clutch is not to everyones taste, try it and see ?
W168 reliability is not what it should be and servicing / parts are expensive for a hatchback run-about.

Honda;)

I'd go for the honda. The new W169 A class is a different story though.

Have to say, much as I hate small urban 4x4s the HR-V looks OK. And way preferable to an old A class!

Hmm. My parents had an HR-V. Got it new 18 months ago. Ordered a B-Class to replace it 12 months later. Poor road-holding, reliability, and fuel consumption. We have two other Hondas and two other MBs in the family, so it wasn't an anti-Honda or pro-M decision.

I drove the Honda a couple of times, and found it very buzzy and bouncy. And the roadholding was very poor. Don't forget its front-wheel drive until you lose grip, then the back ones kick in.

So I vote A-Class

A Class vs HR-V

I wouldn't touch a semi-auto A Class with a long stick. With all possible goodwill towards a cleverly-designed small car (the A Class) I'd say HR-V every time

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom