• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A Little Tip......

MangoMan

MB Enthusiast
Car
2001 W208 CLK320 Coupe Almandine-Black. (Looks Purple-ish).
Be very careful when fitting alloy valve caps, I fitted some to mine about 5-6 months ago, and I know, I know I should check my pressures more often, but as I don't use the car that much, I neglected to do so. Anyway, I went to check the pressures today, and would the bloody things come off?.... would they heck! :mad:

I've just spent the last 2 hours cutting them off with a hacksaw blade, (damaged fingers)! What made it worse the valve stems are of the rubber type, what a palaver!!! :crazy:

So lets be careful out there! :)

It's plastic ones for me from now on. The alloy had more or less welded its self to the brass, or whatever it is.

Anyway I thought I would just pass that on.

Cheers, Bill.

Cheers Bill

I had the same issue. Ended up using a pair of pliers to twist them off. Plastic for me too now....

I used to regulary remove/refit the metal valve caps on my alloys ever week when I used to wash the car just to make sure that they did not stick to the valve... ;) Also, applying a little bit of grease/vaseline to teh cap will prevent this from happening.

Plastics caps will not stick but spoil the finish on a nice set of alloys/wheels...

ahah, so im not the only one to be caught out then! i had exactly the same problem, handfile and lots of swearing :mad: but got it sorted :D back to black plastic valve covers for me :( ;)

Flash said:
Plastics caps will not stick but spoil the finish on a nice set of alloys/wheels...

you could always paint the black plastic ones silver :)

MangoMan said:
The alloy had more or less welded its self to the brass, or whatever it is.

I'm pretty sure genuine MB alloy valve caps have plastic threads, to stop this happening?

andy_k said:
Didn't think of that! I have some chrome paint which might do the trick! :D

andy_k said:

If I had too much time on my hands than yes I could paint the black plastic caps but I'd prefer removing/refitting the metal valve caps every week (takes less than 60 seconds to do all 4 wheels) :) Also, the plastic caps look to bulky and are not as neat/compact as the metal caps (I'm very fussy when it comes down to my alloys looking good ;) )

Another tip... if going to use the metal caps instead of plastic ones then dont lock them too tight...

Flash said:
If I had too much time on my hands than yes I could paint the black plastic caps but I'd prefer removing/refitting the metal valve caps every week (takes less than 60 seconds to do all 4 wheels) :) Also, the plastic caps look to bulky and are not as neat/compact as the metal caps (I'm very fussy when it comes down to my alloys looking good ;) )

Another tip... if going to use the metal caps instead of plastic ones then dont lock them too tight...

I agree wholeheartedly that chrome/alloy ones look better. ;)

The only problem with your 'Another Tip' is that some little b*****d will come & pinch them ! :mad: (which has happened on numerous occasions)

Ciao.

MangoMan said:
The only problem with your 'Another Tip' is that some little b*****d will come & pinch them ! :mad: (which has happened on numerous occasions)

Your absoluetly right and it is so annoying...

Off Topic: I know someone who had a problem with his metal valve caps going missing from his brand new W211 (it was the kids in his area/road). One afternoon he saw the 3 boys (about 10/12 yrs old) remove them from his car. So he sent his son (same age as the "thieves" after them chasng them down the road - the metal caps were recovered and after that they never went missing again... ;) :)

Mangoman

You are not alone, I had the metal caps as well. Welded like hell they were. In the end had to get the valves replaced at Kwik fit. They did advise me that I should use a bit of copper grease if I did decide to use them again. No bloody way!!

MangoMan said:

You can almost certainly buy them a little cheaper from your local MB dealer, but I must admit I got mine from eBay too (same vendor, I think). They are very smooth to put on and take off.

Flash said:
If I had too much time on my hands than yes I could paint the black plastic caps but I'd prefer removing/refitting the metal valve caps every week (takes less than 60 seconds to do all 4 wheels) :) ...

Just to make it interesting, while the valve caps are off you could actually check the tyre pressures. :devil: :devil:

DieselE said:
Just to make it interesting, while the valve caps are off you could actually check the tyre pressures. :devil: :devil:

:)

Everytime I want to check the tyre pressure there is always a bloody queue at the petrol station with people filling up rediuclously high level of PSIs and takes forever... or the damn machine is out of order... :rolleyes:

Flash said:
:)

Everytime I want to check the tyre pressure there is always a bloody queue at the petrol station with people filling up rediuclously high level of PSIs and takes forever... or the damn machine is out of order... :rolleyes:

Get a gauge and a footpump and check them at home! Pressures are usually quoted for cold tyres, so if you set them after a drive they are actually under-inflated ...

Plus historically most forecourt machines/gauges were notoriously inaccurate. Maybe they're better now that you (mostly) have to pay to use them.

BTB 500 said:
Get a gauge and a footpump and check them at home! Pressures are usually quoted for cold tyres, so if you set them after a drive they are actually under-inflated ...

Plus historically most forecourt machines/gauges were notoriously inaccurate. Maybe they're better now that you (mostly) have to pay to use them.

I agree with you there (never use the old gauge machines at Tesco - they are the worse) - the machine I normally use is a modern electronic/digital display one (you set the PSI level and when the specified level has been reached the machine bleeps and stops putting air in...). In order to try avoid under flating the tyre I add a couple of extra 1/2 PSI and take the vehilce to the petrol stataion a short distance from my house when it has cold tyres from a standstill...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom