• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A Quandry - what would you do?

Which car ??

• Car A.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Car B.

Votes: 26 81.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Hi - I've been looking for a car for my granddaughter and have come across two - roughly at the same price. The quandry is which one should I go for. They are.

Car A. Toyota Yaris 2002. For sale at a Toyota Main dealer with one owner. Supplied by The main dealer and fully serviced by main dealer. Comes with 1 year Toyota used car warranty. 12 months road tax and AA recovery. Mileage 52,000.

Car B. Toyoto Yaris 2003. For sale at an independent dealer 50 miles away from me but local to my grand daughter. Has had Two owners (one private and on Toyota PLC). full service history - Not sure if it is Toyota history or independent - but assuming for this that it is Toyota. Comes with a warranty - assuming 12 months. Mileage only 21,000

So which one would you be inclined to go for?

Hi - I've been looking for a car for my granddaughter and have come across two - roughly at the same price. The quandry is which one should I go for.
Looks, colour etc

What one does your grand-daughter like? My own thoughts are that if we want our youngsters to look after a car they must firstly really like it. Really, really like it. Having said all that Toyota have an excellent reputation regarding reliability and a newer car might present better value, but I would go for the one the young lady likes and would lean towards the older model. :devil: :) :)

Regards
John

Personally I'd go for the one with the best tyres and overall condition! The Yaris is pretty bomb-proof and so the warranty is unlikely to come into play. A friend of ours has abused one (and I use that term accurately to describe how the car has been used) for the last 40,000 miles and hasn't spent a penny on it. Not even an oil change :eek: It still runs well and with a valet clean it even looked pretty good too.

All other things being equal, I'd go for the one from the independent - it's only a year younger but the combination of that and the lower mileage will make it a better car to sell when your grandaughter's had enough of it.

An important factor I would say - what's the price of both cars!

Obviously the newer car with lower mileage should be best, but if it's significantly more expensive then I would just go for the other car.

52K miles is quite a bit for such a little car, might be easier to re-sell the 21K mile one in the future also.

Regarding the service history on the 21K mile one, I would have thought it has only had a couple of services from new. When were both of these cars last serviced also?

Will

Both prices are the same............haven't obviously pressed for a final "best price" at this stage.

I would examine the condition/history/ MOTs etc of car B with a magnifying glass and contact the previous owner . Average of 21/5 = 4000 miles a year ----yeah right! Could be true I suppose and an absolute bargain, but on the other hand---------------- it could be cl****d?

Last edited:
I would examine the condition/history/ MOTs etc of car B with a magnifying glass and contact the previous owner . Average of 21/5 = 4000 miles a year ----yeah right! Could be true I suppose and an absolute bargain, but on the other hand---------------- it could be cl****d?

Yes that's what worries me...if something seems too good to be true -- it usually is...but then it might be. Mind you do you think such little useage may have done more harm than the norm or 8-10k a year?:confused:

A genuine 4k per year is probably enough to keep everything working properly as long as it wasn't just a cold engine 1 mile journey to the shops every day!

Obviously as Grober has said - check history and the like with a fine toothed comb, but it's certainly possible - many people have cars such as this as 2nd vehicles or just for trips once or twice a week.

My father only drives when he needs to, sometimes once a week or less occasionally. But he still has a car.

Even 4Kish a year is still about a hundred miles a week (minus the odd holiday etc)

Will

Until recently our 2nd car only did about 2,500 miles a year. It almost literally went to Tesco's once a week and the nearset shopping centre occasionaly.

Just an example of how it is easy to do small miles. To those of use who travel a lot it seems incredible, but some people do rarely use their car!

David

My 2.5-16 only does about a thousand miles a year or so, but I appreciate that's a bit different.

On that note, it's annoying paying full road tax when it's parked in a garage and only gets used once a week or fortnightly. The insurance is cheaper!

Will

Dont worry about the service history so much for Car B, its only done 21k miles... which is nothing. And as long as u service it, who needs the bloody warranty? :D

buy the one you get the best price on, unless thats the older one with more mileage on. :D

as the age is more or less the same - 1 year doesnt make any difference in my opinion, so i would go for the one with the least issues (if any) and best tyres, drive both to check the way they drive etc. Then just pick the one you (or she) feels is best.

might be worth seeing how much you can get off the price - remember you are in a good position as you can easily walk away and go to the other one so you have the upper had with negotiations.

i'd side with B if they are both as good as each other cosmetic-wise. If its her 1st car then she is likely to prefer the later number plate etc.

thanks

derek

Bought my mother a new Toyota Starlet 11 years ago. It has needed 2 tyres and a battery in 35,000 miles. It's small, bright and light and never let her down.
That means the mileage on the younger model could be true and that the little Toyotas deserve their reputation for being bomb proof. (Have you seen my mother drive?!:eek: )
It will comes down to what you think the young lady will like best!:D

You cruel folks have not mentioned once what one would the grand-daughter land her preferences, likes, dislikes etc. :) ;)

What are the colours of these two cars and what options do they both have?

Are they both mechanically perfect, and has either got any body damage?

She may well very politely say she likes either one just as much, but deep down I would suspect she has a preference and providing there were no issues with her preference then that is the one I would vote for.

I haven't voted until I hear what her choice is and when this happens I will vote in her favour. :)

Regards
John the soft touch

Cheers John as ever the diplomat....hmmmm...or just indecisive?? :D

The older one is Black the younger one is Red - I have now seen a white one £500 cheaper so will be looking at this one cos I'M THE ONE PAYING....:eek: so colour aint an issue...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom