• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A35, A45S lease deals?

Dannykay

Car
Golf
Hello,

I’m new to this forum and seeking some advice for people who have leased cars or are currently leasing.

I’m looking at possible A35 Amg premium plus package deals for a 24 month contract.

but when comparing them with A45S the
Monthly’s are not much different at all?

can anyone give me an insight on things to consider and if it’s worth leasing a car for a few years rather than buying it outright?

thanks

IME the craziest deals on cars have tended to be leases. The picing on the best deals some times makes no economic sense. A better spec car can sometimes be cheaper than a lower model. Leasing costs may sometimes be cheaper tahn the depreciation on a discounted new car.

But you have to be careful.
  • Mileage - headline deals tend to be for the likes of 5000 and 8000 miles
  • Remember to include the 'initial rental' - this may be high
  • Watch for 'arrangement' and 'documentation' fees
  • The car is not yours - and when you hand it back you may charged for minor damage and discrepancies - policies vary -some people seem to get hit hard on these others breeze through with nothing to pay. Car park dings and scuffs that you might not personally bother about if it was your own car may well have to be fixed or paid for.
  • Options will cost you disproportionately
  • VED is usually included
  • The owner of the car is the finance company - make sue your insurer is happy with that
  • Servicing can be restricted to dealer servicing (maintenanance might be included in the lease for an extra payment - do your sums - and sometimes full maintenance includes tyres).
  • Small print may put some requierement on replacement tyres
  • If the car is written off early in the lease then the lease will likely be terminated - remember if the 'initial rental' was high - eg. 9 months - you have effectively lost that and will likely have to pay again to start a new lease.
If thinking about this route - add up all the payments -remember on a 24 month deal with a 6 or 9 month initial rental the effective monthly cost is 21% to 29% higher than that headline figure. Also remember to cehck VAt is included in tha headline figure or (probably) not.

Finally - things in the car market are probably going to get a bit mad in the coming months - this could mean there are utterly crazy lease deals on some models over the coming months - or conversely that there are no decent deals on some models.

The deals right now are rubbish. I'm running an A35 Premium, 1*36 10k per annum for £400 a month.

A45s is preferable but at circa double the cost not worth it. Probably better buying one if you can afford too.

IME the craziest deals on cars have tended to be leases. The picing on the best deals some times makes no economic sense. A better spec car can sometimes be cheaper than a lower model. Leasing costs may sometimes be cheaper than the depreciation on a discounted new car.

But you have to be careful.
  • Mileage - headline deals tend to be for the likes of 5000 and 8000 miles
  • Remember to include the 'initial rental' - this may be high
  • Watch for 'arrangement' and 'documentation' fees
  • The car is not yours - and when you hand it back you may charged for minor damage and discrepancies - policies vary -some people seem to get hit hard on these others breeze through with nothing to pay. Car park dings and scuffs that you might not personally bother about if it was your own car may well have to be fixed or paid for.
  • Options will cost you disproportionately
  • VED is usually included
  • The owner of the car is the finance company - make sue your insurer is happy with that
  • Servicing can be restricted to dealer servicing (maintenanance might be included in the lease for an extra payment - do your sums - and sometimes full maintenance includes tyres).
  • Small print may put some requierement on replacement tyres
  • If the car is written off early in the lease then the lease will likely be terminated - remember if the 'initial rental' was high - eg. 9 months - you have effectively lost that and will likely have to pay again to start a new lease.
If thinking about this route - add up all the payments -remember on a 24 month deal with a 6 or 9 month initial rental the effective monthly cost is 21% to 29% higher than that headline figure. Also remember to cehck VAt is included in tha headline figure or (probably) not.

Finally - things in the car market are probably going to get a bit mad in the coming months - this could mean there are utterly crazy lease deals on some models over the coming months - or conversely that there are no decent deals on some models.
Some excellent advice there. There’s only one thing I would add, and that is buy GAP Insurance - but shop around, try PistonHeads ALA - don’t buy it from the supplying dealer.

I always thought GAP insurance was a bit of a swizz, thinking that the insurance company would settle at the market rate and that it would be at the cost of a replacement.

I was wrong. Very wrong. Very very wrong.

I have only ever leased one car and it was stolen at 17 months old, I then realised the value of GAP insurance as the settlement was nowhere near the cost of a replacement.

The insurance company told me the settlement figure within a few days of the car being stolen, and that was £9k less than the cost of a similar car on Autotrader.

It took another 5 months to get a settlement figure from the finance company, and as the insurance pay the finance company you don’t get anything back for you to buy another car.

Eventually you receive a credit or invoice from the finance company depending upon whether they owe you or you owe them - 5 months is a long time to wait to find out!

If you own the car (or have an unsecured loan on it) then you receive the money as soon as the insurer is ready to pay out, and can then use that settlement to buy a replacement.

If the insurance settlement value is less than you need to buy a similar car then you can choose to buy a less expensive car, and avoid taking the direct financial hit.

With a lease or secured finance you need to be ready to make up the shortfall, and have money ready to start again to buy a car or make an initial payment on finance.

So in my scenario on top of the £4,600 initial payment, there was a £9,000 shortfall in value and, if leasing another similar car £4,600 towards another similar car. Ouch.

Fortunately the finance company had the car on the books for less than I would pay if I bought a similar car from Autotrader, but I only found that out 5 months later.

That’s where GAP insurance really helps. Many people may struggle to recover, others will manage but it will really sting. For a few hundred pounds it removes either scenario.

PS There was nothing complicated about the theft, the insurance were ready to pay straight away, the 5 months was driven by standard process for the finance company.

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated-

what would you say is a good deal on a A35AMG on lease? I definitely want the amg pack (aero kit) and my budget is anywhere from £300-450 maximum.

when adding the specs up for the a35 there doesn’t seem to be much difference at all compare to the A45s on monthly’s. I’ve been looking at carwow.

also regarding insurance, if the lease is in my
name, can I put the insurance under my dads name as me as a additional driver? This knocks the price down a lot.

I don’t think I will be in a position as I am now in 3 years time to commit to something like this which is why I am thinking about doing it now. I can not afford to buy it out right, but do things that you enjoy right?

name, can I put the insurance under my dads name as me as a additional driver? This knocks the price down a lot.

I don’t think I will be in a position as I am now in 3 years time to commit to something like this which is why I am thinking about doing it now. I can not afford to buy it out right, but do things that you enjoy right?

Definitely do not do that. One it's fraudulent, if it's your car and you are the main driver and you have an accident or its stolen you are at real risk of the insurance company walking away. This is number one on the list of investigation areas any loss adjuster will look at to get out of paying.

I was going to say don't get the wing they look very chavy but it sounds like you are young enough.

And try here for deals, though some may not do a deal if its not related to a company car allowance.

No you can't put the insurance in your dad's name with you ad an additional driver as that is illegal.

[QUOTE="Lennox, post: 2893253, member: 100924"

I was going to say don't get the wing they look very chavy but it sounds like you are young enough[/QUOTE]

What gave that away? :cool:

Some excellent advice there. There’s only one thing I would add, and that is buy GAP Insurance - but shop around, try PistonHeads ALA - don’t buy it from the supplying dealer.

I always thought GAP insurance was a bit of a swizz, thinking that the insurance company would settle at the market rate and that it would be at the cost of a replacement.

I suspect that you had a PCP and not a lease.

[QUOTE="Lennox, post: 2893253, member: 100924"

I was going to say don't get the wing they look very chavy but it sounds like you are young enough

What gave that away? :cool:
[/QUOTE]

The wing....😉

I suspect that you had a PCP and not a lease.
It was PCH - Personal Contract Hire - I thought that was a lease but maybe I’m wrong? There was certainly no option to buy the car at the end.

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated-

what would you say is a good deal on a A35AMG on lease? I definitely want the amg pack (aero kit) and my budget is anywhere from £300-450 maximum.

when adding the specs up for the a35 there doesn’t seem to be much difference at all compare to the A45s on monthly’s. I’ve been looking at carwow.

As suggested, insuring it in your Dad’s name would not be a good idea if you’re the main driver. Especially if the finance agreement is in your name, as the insurance company would easily find out.

How much difference in insurance cost? Say it’s an extra £1000 and it costs £500 per month for the finance repayments, just wait a few months - deals may improve too.

It was PCH - Personal Contract Hire - I thought that was a lease but maybe I’m wrong? There was certainly no option to buy the car at the end.

You can always ask the financer for a purchase quote. Bought 2 of my past lease cars, one for myself (GTD) and one I sold to a Mate (A6).

You can always ask the financer for a purchase quote. Bought 2 of my past lease cars, one for myself (GTD) and one I sold to a Mate (A6).
That’s almost certainly possible if the finance company agrees, and as a separate transaction, but there’s not an option to buy (at the end of the term) written into the agreement of a PCH, whereas there is in a PCP.

As suggested, insuring it in your Dad’s name would not be a good idea if you’re the main driver. Especially if the finance agreement is in your name, as the insurance company would easily find out.

How much difference in insurance cost? Say it’s an extra £1000 and it costs £500 per month for the finance repayments, just wait a few months - deals may improve too.

Yeah it was a extra £1000. I’ll wait and keep on looking up deals. Thanks

An extra £1k - eek!

What was the total premium?
as the main driver the total was £1700
Me as a additional driver was £695 LOL

I think it’s the 15 years NCB my dad has that made the big difference idk

What’s the best deal you’ve found so far?
For the A35 I found one if I remember correctly:

upfront cost: £3775
X23 monthly payments £377

this was the standard car though without the extras (with specs jumps it up so much)

Ifound one deal on the A45s:

upfront cost: £4307
x23 £478

both deals for 24 month contracts

so I think for the same amount you spend to get a fully spec a35 on lease, you can get a A45s!

For the A35 I found one if I remember correctly:

upfront cost: £3775
X23 monthly payments £377

this was the standard car though without the extras (with specs jumps it up so much)

Ifound one deal on the A45s:

upfront cost: £4307
x23 £478

both deals for 24 month contracts

so I think for the same amount you spend to get a fully spec a35 on lease, you can get a A45s!
As I said I'm paying 400 a month, no deposit!! 🤔

So your quotes are way out.

Comparing apples with apples a A45s are costing circa 80-90% more a month. For that you could finance a 2013 E63 as well as an A35.

Hence I'm looking at S63s as as an additional weekend cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom