• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Advice on fixing chips/scratches

cws196

Car
S205 C250d AMG Premium+
Had a stupid accident taking my car off ramps over the weekend and managed to chip and scratch the nearside rear bumber surface - photos 1+2 show the chip to the paint and photo 3 shows (not very clearly in the centre of the photo) very fine scratches to the top coat. I don't want to take the route of a re-spray for now and want to fix via touch-up etc - can I have some advice please?

How should I tackle the chip? The plastic is slightly scuffed to add, as you can see close-up. The fine scratches haven't gone down to the platsic but are deep enough to be holding grime. I tried using a heavy-grade polish but obviously more work is needed. I thought about using very fine emery paper but also don't want to make things worse. For the chip I'm thinking to smooth down, then with a fine paint brush apply grey base-coat, then matt-white then top coat (149/Polar White).

3178F974-FAFC-4C91-AAC3-F3FC757F683E.jpegDB3DA2F5-04EE-44BA-8280-CE291EBD0D4B.jpeg74321816-5E2A-47CF-9363-FF84F8B90C35.jpeg

Last edited:
Chipsaway, but there are good ones & not so good ones. Better if you take it to a unit rather than mobile. Do your homework

Hi you can do a really good job with the correct touch up and more importantly a small artist brush

Hi you can do a really good job with the correct touch up and more importantly a small artist brush
That’s my plan (for now). I’m just wondering on the surface prep.

Is hard to see what colour the car is. Is it pearl or metallic?
If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail it will need flatting down and polishing - beware!!

Is hard to see what colour the car is. Is it pearl or metallic?
If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail it will need flatting down and polishing - beware!!
It's flat white.

ok
Build up with good quality touch up pen just in the damaged area over a few days until the paint is level when dry, you can the flat down proud areas with 2000 wet and dry on a flat block(don’t be tempted to use fingers) then polish with polish like G3

Thoroughly cleanse the area before working on it. You could use an alcohol wipe to remove wax residue after a thorough cleaning.

Metamark surface cleaner for pre touch up cleaning works very well. A google search should come up with some suppliers.

Check out a channel called CVR POV on YouTube. He shows you how to do scratch/chip repairs and is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom