Alternative to "Reverse Logic" jack pad for my SL63 r231?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RussJ

Car
Mercedes SL63 2013
Looking to jack up my car but can only find the (very) expensive ReverseLogic offering.
Has anyone found a cheaper alternative?
The eBay rubber versions won't work as the sill skirts hang down too far and will get crushed...

Perhaps just make a suitable size aluminium block to fit the holes?

Russ

A lot of the eBay pads are based on hockey pucks so could you buy a few of the hockey pucks and fix them together with the eBay pad to make something deep enough to clear your side skirts?

Great minds!
I've been in touch with one of the eBay manufacturers who says that the highest block they can cut is 35mm.
I need about 45mm to ensure clearance so I asked if he could supply an additional piece which I could glue or attach with self-tappers to make it up to 45mm.
Given that the block sits inside a recess in the cill it can't slip sideways so should be safe.
Just waiting for a response...
Russ

Well, now I'm really puzzled. Its finally stopped raining so I had a grovel under the car to confirm measurements prior to ordering a jackpad.
I pulled off the two blanking plates in the outer cill and found - nothing! Just a blanked off section.
I had fully expected to see a jacking point here within the cill which would have explained why ReverseLogic needed to offer a version with a spacer to avoid crushing the bodywork.
Further investigation revealed a rectangular recess inboard of the cill at each end which must be the actual jacking points.
As far as I can tell, a standard jacking pad would be fine, with no clearance issues.
I can only surmise that the blanking plates provide clearance for the standard jack mechanism. I can't tell as my car is only supplied with a pump and a can of gloop.
Why ReverseLogic specify the extra spacer beats me as it apperas unnecessary
I'll be ordering a standard pad today and will report back in due course...

Russ

Be very careful using a hockey puck type "spacer" on a normal trolley jack. I had a nasty with my 968, the hockey puck sat on the top of the trolley jack cup instead of inside it, plus it was flat topped rather than having a part that fitted inside the jacking point (which the ones I have for the 204 but have not yet used do have!). 968 fell off the jack when jacking up the rear NS, unfortunately I already had the OS on axle stands with the wheels off - OUCH!! Total plonker moment for which I am still teased on my 968 forum, despite it happening 5 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom