AMG Alloys and Caliper Colour Change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No I hadn't considered them before. I've just done a quick search and see they are the raised type, not sure I prefer them over the flush fitting ones.

Yes the EdOne is raised, I like how they add just a touch of colour (for the two-tone ones) ...
I wasn't sure either, until I actually saw them on a car at my local MB.
Got a set on now, and a spare one waiting for the spring change over time :)

Not my cup of tea, I think they look hideous to be honest.

:D Genuinely though, very well executed. The wheels and car looking stunning Jules, not surprised you are pleased with the result, a lot off effort no doubt but well worth the result. Care to name the place as the level of attention to detail I think deserves praise and customers!

:D Genuinely though, very well executed. The wheels and car looking stunning Jules, not surprised you are pleased with the result, a lot off effort no doubt but well worth the result. Care to name the place as the level of attention to detail I think deserves praise and customers!

Thanks Abb - will put the details of the place below.

Reactions: Abb
Agree with others on the wheels. Kind of surprised MB didn't do them darker since they look so much better than the standard item. Were they clear coated after the colouring job?

Agree with others on the wheels. Kind of surprised MB didn't do them darker since they look so much better than the standard item. Were they clear coated after the colouring job?
Yes they were clear coated.

They look great, it's definitely spurned me on to get my calipers painted. How did you decide on the colour?

They look great, it's definitely spurned me on to get my calipers painted. How did you decide on the colour?
I wanted a colour that contrasted well with the black paintwork of the car and also the newly painted wheels. Red looks great but is already on the PP and S cars. The Mercedes cars with the ceramic brake set up have a very nice mid metallic Orange, but I didn't want mine to look like I'd copied that. I did a few searches on the US forums and found Burnt Copper and Burnt Orange to be popular, both look great but I wanted a deeper Orange with a hint of red. I couldn't find any pics of calipers in this colour but did find a picture on the web whilst searching of the colour I wanted. They were always going to be painted in a candy effect as I love the way the colour changes slightly when light hits it. Albeit sat behind a chunky alloy that will be limited lol.

There are loads of amazing colour options, blues, yellows, green, even blacks, bronzes etc etc

Dan who did the calipers was brilliant on getting the right mix and pretty much nailed it first time.

The other bonus for me is that the colour is bespoke, which I like.

Mercedes Ceramic (looks great);

IMG_6421.JPG

Burnt Copper / Orange (very nice)

IMG_6419.JPG

Burnt Orange on a black C63 (bit of inspiration, looks great, but didn't want mine so bright)

IMG_6418.JPG

The candy red / Orange sample I wanted my calipers based on (somewhere in between the darkest and lightest section);

IMG_6420.JPG

First Caliper colour trial (pre clear coat - but still a nice colour);

IMG_6465.JPG

Actual finished colour;

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_6560.JPG

Really great result there and different. I take it the wheels and calipers were painted and not powder coated. Was there a particular reason you chose a painted finish?

Really great result there and different. I take it the wheels and calipers were painted and not powder coated. Was there a particular reason you chose a painted finish?

My understanding is that the depth of finish from paint is better and if powder coat chips then the alloy is at risk of water ingress and further deterioration, I don't think powder coated alloys can be smart repaired, whereas with paint it can be quickly repaired.

Both give great results and powder coating is less susceptible to chipping, however a well prepared and painted alloy can be as good.

Jules

Excellent work! Loving the colour combo and finish :cool:

Awesome looking car and wheels, looks great and does elevate the car in terms of stance and aesthetics.

I don't think powder coated alloys can be smart repaired
Ah, I didn't know that - I'm in the process of booking in for a smart repair of a tiny scrape with Dan, but my wheels were powder coated exactly a year ago ...
I'll have to check with him right away.

Ah, I didn't know that - I'm in the process of booking in for a smart repair of a tiny scrape with Dan, but my wheels were powder coated exactly a year ago ...

Yes check with him, he'll know what can / can't be done.

Jules

Reactions: GLK
Yes check with him, he'll know what can / can't be done.

Jules
Did you pay in advance? He has quoted 10% off if paid in advance, a bit hesitant to bank transfer a decent chunk of money as there is no go back with bank transfer

Did you pay in advance? He has quoted 10% off if paid in advance, a bit hesitant to bank transfer a decent chunk of money as there is no go back with bank transfer

Have sent you a pm.

Jules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom