Any idea what this is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich1068

Car
Many Saabs and an '03 CLK 240
Been meaning to ask. Not sure if it's factory or not. Probably not.

Stuck to the left hand bottom corner of the windscreen it's open at one side but the perplexing thing is the power(?) cable that runs from it and disappears below the dash. Previous owner just used it to hold a tax disc but didn't know its true function either.

Poor pics. Sorry.

IMG_20230529_122025449_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230529_122038764_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230529_122056611_HDR.jpg

Many years ago (1990s?) I had something that looked similar fitted as a test to my Saab Convertible. It was an external telephone aerial, from the days when phones in cars had fitting kits. We used to use magmount roof aerials on saloons, but convertible roofs are not very magnetic.

Thanks for the reply. And sorry I'm only just responding. Forgot I'd asked the question! Remembered when I was contemplating it again today.

Quite possible that's what it it is I suppose. Odd looking thing though. When I was swapping over the radio the other day I did find a mystery unconnected 3.5mm cable coming from that direction which I suppose could have been for one of those external speakers that used to be fitted for hands free kits.

Anyway, unless I remove the glove box I suppose I'll never know for sure.

So that appears to be a power cable attached to a plastic holder stuck to the windscreen.

It's a holder for a removable radar speed trap detector. They were all the rage in the 80's and 90's

They needed to be on the windscreen to see the incoming signal

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 10.48.52.png

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 10.48.39.png

I reckon that's a GPS patch antenna for an aftermarket head unit that included navigation.

My '90s SL has a phone antenna on the windscreen but that's mounted at the top and is a completely different shape:

1687947240826.png

Looks like a pass holder -ie doctor or disabled badge or to hold a parking ticket

But why would it need power? Does look like something is supposed to slot in but no idea what.

So that appears to be a power cable attached to a plastic holder stuck to the windscreen.

It's a holder for a removable radar speed trap detector. They were all the rage in the 80's and 90's

They needed to be on the windscreen to see the incoming signal

View attachment 142819

Interesting thought but there's no way of attaching anything to it. The back is quite smooth.

I reckon that's a GPS patch antenna for an aftermarket head unit that included navigation.

My '90s SL has a phone antenna on the windscreen but that's mounted at the top and is a completely different shape:

View attachment 142822

But again, why the side slot? Curiouser and curiouser....🕵️‍♂️

Interesting thought but there's no way of attaching anything to it. The back is quite smooth.
Fair enought. The radar detector on my 2004 E500 had a holder similar to this onto which the device clipped by gripping the sides, with the power plugged into the device.

Last edited:
And then, of course, there are those very early old tech SatNavs.

And then, of course, there are those very early old tech SatNavs.

I've just been out to the car to see if there are any manufacturer markings and there are none. It does look rather unattractive when viewed from the outside so when I'm feeling strong I'll drop the glovebox and see what's hiding behind.

I've just been out to the car to see if there are any manufacturer markings and there are none. It does look rather unattractive when viewed from the outside so when I'm feeling strong I'll drop the glovebox and see what's hiding behind.
Not tempted to rip the wretched thing out then?

Aftermarket DAB signal enhancer of some kind. 🤔

Another good suggestion but did anyone use DAB in 2003-2006? Previous (second) owner got hold of the car in '06 and he had no idea what it was either so just used to stuff tax discs in it.

he had no idea what it was either so just used to stuff tax discs in it.

It's very hard to tell from the pictures, but is it intentionally open on one side or could it just have broken off there e.g. if somebody had tried to remove it previously? Also are there electrical contacts of any type visible in there?

It's very hard to tell from the pictures, but is it intentionally open on one side or could it just have broken off there e.g. if somebody had tried to remove it previously? Also are there electrical contacts of any type visible in there?

It is intentionally open at one side. No electrical contacts and no manufacturer markings 🤷‍♂️

Its for recharging the flux capacitor 😇

Car's a 240. It would never get to 88mph.

On a more serious note, that cable looks quite hefty for power so could be some kind of aerial coax, your best bet is dig in and trace it back to something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom