• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Anyone retro-fitted a tow bar to an S205 C43 AMG 2019 estate?

GmanHampshire

Car
2019 C43, 2012 C220d AMG Sport
OK, try not to judge me. The 43 needs a tow bar like a fish needs a bicycle, but I need one, OK? :)

Does anyone have any photos of the AMG rear bumper (2019MY) to show how much bumper devastation is needed for a swan neck & flip-down electrics?

I purposefully did not seek out a swivel OEM hook as I have never managed to keep them rust-free for a friction stabiliser. So it needs to be an aftermarket swan-neck detachable.
Problem is, I want to know the impact on the rear diffuser (bumper) and Witter/Westfalia (normally my go-to brand) don't provide images or reply to support tickets so I'm not going to be throwing money their way without more reassurance. PF Jones can't offer much support other than "try one and see". Other brands (GDW, Tow-Trust, PCT) have cut-out dimensions but no images to show what the end result looks like on the AMG bumper (below).

- Has anyone retro-fitted a tow bar specifically to the 2019 C43? Which manufacturer & model worked well?
- If you were polishing your C43 this weekend, could you take a photo or two?

(The car is VIN plated for 1.8 tonnes towing capacity and I know I'll have to get the electrics re-programmed BTW)

Thanks if you can. It's a quirky request but if you have done this already, you'll understand :)
Cheers
G

20240720_162314.jpg

OK, try not to judge me. The 43 needs a tow bar like a fish needs a bicycle, but I need one, OK? :)

Does anyone have any photos of the AMG rear bumper (2019MY) to show how much bumper devastation is needed for a swan neck & flip-down electrics?

I purposefully did not seek out a swivel OEM hook as I have never managed to keep them rust-free for a friction stabiliser. So it needs to be an aftermarket swan-neck detachable.
Problem is, I want to know the impact on the rear diffuser (bumper) and Witter/Westfalia (normally my go-to brand) don't provide images or reply to support tickets so I'm not going to be throwing money their way without more reassurance. PF Jones can't offer much support other than "try one and see". Other brands (GDW, Tow-Trust, PCT) have cut-out dimensions but no images to show what the end result looks like on the AMG bumper (below).

- Has anyone retro-fitted a tow bar specifically to the 2019 C43? Which manufacturer & model worked well?

(The car is VIN plated for 1.8 tonnes towing capacity and I know I'll have to get the electrics re-programmed BTW)

Thanks if you can. It's a quirky request but if you have done this already, you'll understand :)
Cheers
G

View attachment 161866
Based on what I can see, and without removing that under-panel, with the two metal bolts visible, it would be extremely hard to tell what kind of a job it would be. Or even if its possible to drop down that tray.. You are right to seek help....and sorry, until that tray is removed, its impossible to say.

Cheers
G

View attachment 161866
Does this help?

img_9471_0409942bdbb478174f1fbc6e2272f5235b440dda.jpg

Cheers
G

View attachment 161866
Cars which are type approved for towing often have mould lines in the rear face of the bumper which are designed to be cut around when retro-fitting a towbar.

Getting behind the bumper with a flexible camera with a light (or torch) - or removing the bumper (or diffuser) - might give you the best idea of what would need to be cut out.

They look like parking sensors, not bolts?
Hi whitenemsis, how are you? You could well be right, at first glance I thought that they are hexagonal, and normally the sensors are mounted on the corners of the plastic bumper cover. But now, I'm not so sure. I'd be inclined to see one in the flesh so to speak. Looks like a lot is happening underneath what would normally be the spare wheel well.

When you say 'VIN plated' what do you mean ? The sticker shown above is the one that counts .

As for the receiver shown on the Canadian car in post #5 , are they legal on non commercial vehicles in the UK ? No idea , just asking.

Does the weight plate on the door pillar show the car can tow ? My AMG and many others were never homologated to have a towbar fitted. Probably different with the newer cars.

View attachment 161884
And not just AMG models....As you might know I work in the caravan game......I come across more Mercs that are not type approved for towbar fitment than just about any other brand.....including my wife's R170 SLK230.....we only wanted to tow a small box trailer!
If your door jam plate has the dashes on the second row like in the pic above its no go.....but they are not all like that....if the first and second row are the same number its also not approved for towing.

When you say 'VIN plated' what do you mean ? The sticker shown above is the one that counts .

As for the receiver shown on the Canadian car in post #5 , are they legal on non commercial vehicles in the UK ? No idea , just asking.
Yes.....but you would struggle to find a UK sized ball to fit it. Ours are usually fixed or removable using a different type of connector to that one which is also far less visible being hidden under the bumper like the pic below. Of course the real flash have the factory electric Mercedes fold away bar....just push a button and it appears/disappears.....very cool!

1727874919659.png

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom