• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Attention Assist

Gollom

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Just been down to the services at J1 on the M6 and back 270 mile and 54mpg - not hanging about neither!) On the way down only, Attention Assist pinged on 3 times which it has never done before. I am very confident I was not sleepy or wandering - just wondered if it could be indicative of a pending issue? The fact it only did it on the way down is odd. I know I has someone in with me on the way back - but that is more likely to cause me to doze - as much as I love her she is not exactly scintillating company! LOL

Just been down to the services at J1 on the M6 and back 270 mile and 54mpg - not hanging about neither!) On the way down only, Attention Assist pinged on 3 times which it has never done before. I am very confident I was not sleepy or wandering - just wondered if it could be indicative of a pending issue? The fact it only did it on the way down is odd. I know I has someone in with me on the way back - but that is more likely to cause me to doze - as much as I love her she is not exactly scintillating company! LOL

It seems to take into account also the length of time you've been driving, and the time-of-day, I.e. it doesn't simply measure erattic steering wheel input.

It seems to take into account also the length of time you've been driving, and the time-of-day, I.e. it doesn't simply measure erattic steering wheel input.
Thanks for that. I had only been driving about an hour when it first went off mid-morning. Strange as it has never come on before

My attention assist seems to be on a timer. It goes off at the same point in all my journeys to and from Manchester. I think it’s a gimmick at best.

My attention assist seems to be on a timer. It goes off at the same point in all my journeys to and from Manchester. I think it’s a gimmick at best.
Wonder if the condition of the road surface has an impact. There are some places on the M6 where it seems almost "corrugated" so I suppose that could send the wrong message to the steering?

Mine has come on when traveling a 160 miles non-stop - I think its because
I stare more at the road and as the miles go over a hundred, hardly anyone talks etc
and that's when it pings - takes us about 4 hours non stop - always get traffic and the 40/50mph zones

From memory it pings first after 2 hours of driving without turning the engine off and then pings again after a much shorter time, say 2 hours 20 minutes.

Could it be that your outbound trip down was say 3 hours and hence it had time to ping three times?

If your return journey was less than 2 hours or you switched the engine off before the 2 hour point on the way home then it wouldn’t ping at all.

I very rarely see/hear Attention Assist now as I try not to drive for more than 2 hours without stopping.

From memory it pings first after 2 hours of driving without turning the engine off and then pings again after a much shorter time, say 2 hours 20 minutes.
That’s certainly my recollection and also how it generally performs, but I've also travelled for more then two hours without turning the engine off on occasion without it pinging.

I know that the info on Attention Assist claims that it monitors things like steering inputs (frequent significant course corrections, etc.) and also the use of brakes (sudden jabs at the pedal etc.) that suggest the driver isn't as alert as they should be.

I drove on Saturday from mid France to Calais in one stint, 450 miles in 6 hours. Zero assist pings. But on the trip down to Dover on the way to France, M1, narrow 50mph lanes, it pinged 3 times within about 40 minutes, all under 2 hours. It was mid afternoon and I was 100% not drowsy or sleepy, and wondered what on earth was setting it off.

I just have it turned off.

Mine seems to do it completely at random. I've never discerned any logic. Pretty useless.

I like Blindspot Assist and Lane Assist though - they actually help on a long journey.

I know that the info on Attention Assist claims that it monitors things like steering inputs (frequent significant course corrections, etc.) and also the use of brakes (sudden jabs at the pedal etc.) that suggest the driver isn't as alert as they should be.
That was my point regarding the gimmick. In my experience it’s always a timed alert and not based on driver fatigue etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom