• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Automatic Transmission compatibility

ini71

Car
C350 CDI
I have a 2010 '60' plate C350 CDI Blueefficiency Sport Wagon. The transmission cooler failed leading to coolant and transmission fluid mixing, and ruining the gearbox and cooling system.

The car was sent to a popular Mercedes breaker/garage in Huddersfield as they said they had a box to fit. It's still there 2 months later and they are struggling to find the correct part. They told me the gearbox is rare due to it having no 'Stop Start'.

The part number I have been given to look for is A2042704901

Do I need the exact part off a C class, or is there an equivalent E class part that will fit?

My car details:

VIN WDD2042252F581893

Model C 350 CDI 170kW

Engine 642830 41 042717

Transmission 722902 02 987884

Last edited:
Turns out the gearbox I need was only made for 6 months, and has the same part number as early E class 7G plus boxes, despite not being a low friction box.

I have a 2010 '60' plate C350 CDI Blueefficiency Sport Wagon. The transmission cooler failed leading to coolant and transmission fluid mixing, and ruining the gearbox and cooling system.

The car was sent to a popular Mercedes breaker/garage in Huddersfield as they said they had a box to fit. It's still there 2 months later and they are struggling to find the correct part. They told me the gearbox is rare due to it having no 'Stop Start'.

The part number I have been given to look for is A2042704901

Do I need the exact part off a C class, or is there an equivalent E class part that will fit?

My car details:

VIN WDD2042252F581893

Model C 350 CDI 170kW

Engine 642830 41 042717

Transmission 722902 02 987884
Is this the one you are looking for?:rolleyes:

Get it re-built if they cant find a 'box. It will be like new then.

My gearbox is the normal 7G box with red fluid. For some reason there are 2x boxes listed under the part number A2042704901. One is mine, and the other is a 7G plus box for E Class cars.
The box on my car is definitely not the low friction plus box.

I did get a couple of quotes for reconditioning the box. The first did not want to touch it, and the second told me it was a nightmare job and would cost 3k.

My car was built in just before the facelift in October 2010, and seems to have an odd box fitted.

I need a non stop-start A2042704901 / 722902 02 987884 transmission.

In your position I would either sell the car as is and take the hit or I would take it to somewhere who really knows how to rebuild the gearbox. You have no idea what a used gearbox is going to be like / 100% compatible and you could end up with a big bill for labour and a car in a worse state.

btw it is only a nightmare job to someone who does not know what they are doing

By posting this I am not suggesting you re build it yourself but I would think that any decent transmission re builders would be able to do it . It's just finding one you can trust.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I recon Id give that a go.....ex mechanic.....but I never really got involved with the inside of auto transmissions.....does not LOOK that difficult with the right gear.

I did consider refurbishing the box myself, but don't have access to the space or suitable parts washer anymore. Its one of those things that is a lot less complicated than it looks from viewing what's inside the casing.
I think a lot of auto transmission places just want to throw in new clutch packs and bolt it back up. Whereas my gearbox will need need a much more extensive clean, rust, rubber valve body gasket scraping off etc. The conductor plate/TCU is most likely scrap by now.

Can anyone recommend a competent place that can rebuild this transmission?

I did consider refurbishing the box myself, but don't have access to the space or suitable parts washer anymore. Its one of those things that is a lot less complicated than it looks from viewing what's inside the casing.
I think a lot of auto transmission places just want to throw in new clutch packs and bolt it back up. Whereas my gearbox will need need a much more extensive clean, rust, rubber valve body gasket scraping off etc. The conductor plate/TCU is most likely scrap by now.

Can anyone recommend a competent place that can rebuild this transmission?
These guys get a good name, obviously there would be shipping charges.

Mackie's would not rebuild the box.

I suspect I'm going to have to scrap the car. Seems a shame as its only done 80k.

The gearbox seems like it is an early 7G+ box, without stop-start, but running old style transmission fluid? I cant believe its been running perfectly for 50k miles with the wrong transmission fluid?

722902 02 987884 722.902 W7C700

The VIN decodes with the following:

A24 JOINT FLANGE, 4-ARM 120
A49 CONVERTER WITH 3 FRICTION DISKS
A52 R- VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY WITH VGS 3
A89 REDUCED-FRICTION
G902 TRANSMISSION CODE VERSION 02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom