• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Battery Size?

Mickyh7

Car
SLK250d
Hello Guys, since my car is still under warranty, I've had the go ahead to replace the battery.
One warning on the dash and when checked, only at 12.2 volts, so on its way out. Alternator showing 14+ volts.
I looked on line and found a few, so went with Kwikfit, as they are local, and bought a Bosch Battery.
Already reimbursed by the Dealer.
When I went to get it fitted today, it's about 100mm too long.
This was ordered off my Registration Plate! When I've rechecked, all the batteries coming up off my Reg are too long?
The guys at Kwickfit replaced the unit with a copy of what was already fitted.
12v 80Ah 800A not VARTA (Mercedes) but NAPA.
Just wondering why this might happen, facelifts don't usually go this deep, just bumpers and lights normally.
I've been refunded £70 and I still have a long warranty, so I think I'm happy!
Anyone else?

I assume this is a non-MB warranty as they would supply & fit the battery for you (I've had this done twice).

There's often a factory option for a higher capacity battery ... our W203 C Class had this specced, and also our Vito. Wonder if these suppliers are listing the high capacity one for some reason (like it will be more expensive!) in the hope that it will still fit?

I assume this is a non-MB warranty as they would supply & fit the battery for you (I've had this done twice).

There's often a factory option for a higher capacity battery ... our W203 C Class had this specced, and also our Vito. Wonder if these suppliers are listing the high capacity one for some reason (like it will be more expensive!) in the hope that it will still fit?
That sounds very possible.
The car is outside of an MB warranty.
But covered from a large dealership.
My only thoughts would be the changeover from w204 to w205 because either the Bodyshell or the Engine is preventing the bigger battery fitting, not just the battery shelf?
I'm not too bothered about the brand as
no Car Manufacturer is bothered where they source their parts from. As long as they meet specification and price, they do constantly change suppliers. This also covers the fact that if one supplier hits problems, the knock on effect could cause a line stoppage, as no one is carrying parts in stock any more. Only J.I.T.
This is why I laugh at folk who insist on OE parts!
Car Plants do open your eyes!

MB supplied batteries do seem to last well though ... the one in my SL was fitted in 2004, and I only just replaced the original one in our 2007 Vito after >150k miles. That had never been on a charger or gone flat ... it was just cranking slower than it should, so with winter approaching it seemed like a good time to fit a new one!

MB supplied batteries do seem to last well though
Both my C Class & SLC batteries were shot at only 4 years old and replaced, the wifes and daughters Nissan batteries did not even last 3 years before being replaced under warranty.
Since stop/start was introduced, batteries have a very short life, and here's the thing, we all switch it off and yet the batteries still do not last.

Our C Class needed a new battery at just over a year old, but it was an MB demonstrator over the Covid period and I think had sat around a fair bit (it had only done 5800 miles when we got it).

Same as post #6 I replaced the original MB battery on my car a while back as a 'precaution' the car was built in 2006 . From memory the battery was 14 years old, all those years of starting a 5.4 litre V8 . You could unscrew the cap on each cell and top it up with battery water , Is that still a thing ?

Maybe it should be judging by the amount of posts we get on here discussing expensive batteries not getting past their 5th birthday, sometimes two batteries per car Very 'eco friendly' :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom