Buying a second hand 350e Wagon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry guys, I haven't been able to pull myself away from auto trader to reply.

To be clear, I'm not specifically look to buy a hybrid car. The 350e seems to tick all of the boxes. I'm concerned about reliability.

Funny thing is nearly every post and video I watch owners say they wouldn't buy another.

If you like the W205 C Class but don't specifically need a hybrid for emissions or economy reasons then look at the C300 or even C43. Good performance but without the complexity and long term reliability concerns.

Well if you are comparing it to petrol it is 0g per mile. Petrol carbon is worked out per mile as it's burnt in the car......it does not take into account all the carbon released in drilling, refining and transporting the fuel to the petrol station (which is far worse KW for KW that the production and distribution of electricity)....so yes if you want to compare like with like EV is 0g per mile. Include all the carbon created in production just makes the figures even worse for ICE cars when compared to EVs.
EVs are powered using electricity which is generated by a mixture of sources. To be fair, lets ignore all the indirect stuff for EV/ICE and count only the co2 produced when generating the electricity. Coal,biomass and gas produce co2 and all other power generation produces 0g co2 per kwh.
try this link:-

average co2 per kwh over the last year is claimed to be 181g/kwh though right now its a lot less 67g/kwh because of the winter and the wind blows more in the winter. What I am saying is that an EV likely travels 3 - 4 miles per Kwh (heavily dependent on driving conditions) . Lets be generous and say 25g co2 per mile. Alternatively look at the co2 produced in burning 1 litre of petrol, say 2,300g. My car can get 10 miles per litre or 230g/mile. The VED rating says my car does 128g/km or 206g/mile. Same ballpark. Looking at the power generation, we might see 181g/kwh or 67g/kwh.

So the way I see it, I could save 60-100g co2 per mile with an EV, at the "cost" all the "issues" that come with EVs and Hybrids.

However, there are so many variables, it is almost impossible to say with certainty how much co2 you are saving (even when just looking at the energy generation). I have for example left out grid transmission losses which would increase the co2 per mile of electricity.

I hope that these small ballpark calculations will help people compare like for like when assessing the g co2/mile for hybrids and EV's. My takeaway from all this is that in winter electricity generation receives a massive boost from wind power but that the cold temperatures, dark and weather vastly increases the energy needed to travel.

I will be sticking with petrol.

Apologies if the mathematics and assumptions don't agree with yours - everyone is different.

Last edited:
Hi , from memory Mercedes guarantee the battery for 8 years or 60,000 miles.

Bet the battery is not cheap to replace if needed.

Petrol for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom