• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Bye-Bye (hopefully!) Mr Nicotine

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
Well, after nearly thirty five years af being addicted I have finally decided to pack it all in, smoking that is, not Mercedes Benz.

For a good few months I have started to notice that I am not what I used to be health wise and, just as bad, my taste has practically dissapeared. Amongst other things I have two spoons of coffee in a brew, or leave the bag in if its tea all plus at least three sugars and I only get a buzz from curries and chillies.

So, its Mr Grumpy with a nasel spray for a few weeks :eek: .

Portzy.

WILL POWER is what this is all about. Withdrawal will NOT kill you.

I used to smoke 40 cigarettes a day, and when I stopped I always kept a packet of 'fags' in my pocket, just so that my so called friends could not tempt me during a moment of weakness.

Will power.

Good luck,
John

Oi !!!! Dave..... NOBODY LIKES A QUITTER

Seriously though I hope you get there.

Last edited:
I've been on 30 a day for nearly 15yrs and on the 1st July I gave up. I'm using the patches and so far so good although today is proving to be very bad and I could probably kill for a ciggy.
Stick with it and apparently it's worth it, I'm still waiting for the benifits but so everyone keeps telling me it's worht it.

well done both you guys. :rock:

I've never been a smoker so have no idea what stopping is really like but have heard and seen how hard it can be so good luck to you both.

Will power is the easiest thing to say but so vulnerable. If ever you feel the need - bung a post on here and we'll shout at you, encourage you or whatever, but just don't give in. :bannana: :bannana:

pammy said:
Will power is the easiest thing to say but so vulnerable. If ever you feel the need - bung a post on here and we'll shout at you, encourage you or whatever, but just don't give in. :bannana: :bannana:

Hi Pammy,
I hope I didn't come over as being flippant, I totally agree with what your saying.

Regards,
John

Well done..... :bannana: ....its gotta be for the best.......Good luck

Marc

Best of Luck to both of you. I gave up 5 years ago. Here's what helped me-

Put up a calendar on your office wall and cross off each day. After 10 or 15 days you'll be encouraged by your own "investment" of effort. Stay away from places where people smoke; go to the cinema for a smoke-free distraction. Stay away from booze for a fortnight or so. Look forward to Christmas - its so much better when you don't have to stand outside on Christmas Day.

Like Pammy says - tell someone if you're wavering. They will help you.

Don't worry about how hard it might be tomorrow, or this evening, or at lunchtime. You're succeeding NOW.

Like Pammy, I've never been a smoker, but have seen my mum struggle to give up.

I bought her Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking hoping it would work. It hasn't, as I don't think she actually wants to give up (despite a triple bypass ...), and she hasn't read it :rolleyes: , but if you are determined, Allen Carr's methods are highly recommended (by ex-smokers, obviously :D )

Best wishes with it Dave; you know you can do it :)

I gave up 4 years ago after 40 years and 30 a day. The doctor suggested the patches,the 24hour ones for six weeks. If i had known how easy it was i would have done it years ago, i tried the will power thing a couple of times didn't work, try the patches and see how you get on, free on the old National Health anyway which ever way you go stick with it and don't forget the money you save, they are what now nearly £5 a packet, more toys for the new Mercedes, best of luck.

Peter.

10 years, 20 a day

went to allen carr's clinic (south london), stopped same day haven't looked back for 18 months

keep an eye on the diet

don't replace cigs for cream cakes

my dad used to keep three fat links of chain in his pocket as a thing to fiddle with whenever he wanted a fag - gave his hands somthing to do..

i did patches and it worked (for 18 months).. but i started again due to a GF at the time being a smoker almost forcing fags down me... cow... thinking of giving up again... didnt know you can get patches on the NHS...

another thing - put the money every day that you would have spent on fags in a jar...

Gave up for, hopefully the final time, some twelve years ago. Yes I had tried on numerous occasions before without success. The difference? Well I can only say I was in a different mindeset, my life was running smooth, my financial state was ok, so had no extraneous worries. I think that helped me immensly. No patches, just gave up my 30 a day habit.

Now the bad news, my opening line "hopefully final time...." I still get the urge for a cigarette, not often, but I worry that in a moment of weakness I will succombe. A buddy of mine did just that after not smoking for 15 years :( So your giving up will be tested for a long time. Keep the faith and good luck to you

Wow!, thanks for all your support matees. The spray is torture but seems to work, I wonder if thats what "doin' a line" is like :crazy: . I'll take your offer Pammy, that is post something if I feel / become weak and knowing me......

Portzy.

I recently lost a friend to lung cancer.He was an avid smoker,tried to give it up but too late. You know it makes sense,give it your best shot. ;)

I gave up last year, 30-40 a day for 20 years and can only echo what the others have said about will power. So good luck

I'd disagree about what's been said about avoiding places where people smoke like the pub, going to those places makes you realise just how bad it makes you smell and is probably one of the biggest incentives you can get :). It didn't even worry me that my partner carried on smoking, after all it was me who gave up initially not her. In the same way I wouldn't expect people around me not to smoke - it would be hypocritiocal of me and anyway I really loathe the militant anti smoking brigade.

I didn't use patches (neither did Annie who gave up about 3 months after me) but I think there is a definite state of mind you need to be in to quit.

There are two ways of looking at it

1, I don't smoke

2, I'm a smoker who has quit

The former is the positive (and in my case successful) way to look at it, the second is
more "temporary" and always has the opt out to going back to being a smoker :)

Food definitely tastes better, clothes smell less and your health will benefit so stick at it and welcome to the world of non smokers

Andy

I was on 40-60 Gauloise a day when I gave up 9 years ago,and agree with the others it's all down to willpower in the end.As long as your giving up because you want to,and not because of pressure from others you'll succeed.
Something nobody has mentioned yet is put the equivalent amount you would spend on cigarettes,away at the start of each week/day after a year spend the money on a congratulationary present for yourself ;) Good luck.

Pete

http://www.changingstates.co.uk/issues/smoking.html

There is a useful little calculator which will tell you how much £££'s have 'gone up in smoke' over the years. Just think, you pay for all those exbenzive services, tires, repairs purely by giving up. Health issues aside, financially it makes alot of sense
Rgds

Les

There is also the other method of thinking, don't give up in your mind, imagine you are between cigarettes, a long time between cigarettes, it may help the will power to overcome the definite I have stopped want one syndrome :D again good luck

I have on occasion given this bit of advice to those wanting to give up. Two people took it up and havn't touched a cigarette since. Its harsh but it works very very well.

Many years ago when I first started in this industry a colleague of mine told me how he was once a police officer. One of the duties he had to perform during his training was to attend a post-mortem. The chap who was being 'examined' was in his mid to late forties. He had died of lung cancer. The coroner or bloke who was doing the disecting removed the mans lungs and held them up for all to see. Not only was he riddled with cancer his lungs were almost black and had tar in them. The lungs should be a pink colour. My colleague was extremely shocked and vowed never to touch another cigarette. He never returned to smoking and became an ardent proponent within the anti smoking brigade. He told me this story and said if you ever think about smoking or ever want to give up, go to a post-mortem of someone who has died of lung cancer. :eek:

If thats too harsh, then simply take a trip to your local hospital and ask to wander around a ward where there are patients who have emphysema and cancer. See how the smoking has ripped the lives right out from under them. Then take a look at the dozens of patients who have had limbs amputated due to smoking related diseases. :(

I have told this story to a few people over the years. Two such people took the advice and attended a post-mortem. It worked. :eek:

I have never smoked myself except for a couple of drags on a ciggy at school to try it. So I cannot fully appreciate how hard it is for those who do smoke, to give it up. But what I do know is that smoking is a dirty filthy anti social habit which kills innocent people. The sooner it is banned totally throughout the country the better. It is responsible for thousands of deaths every year. Ask yourself this; If I wandered around spraying clouds of asbestos dust into the atmosphere, often in confined places likes pubs, would someone stop me? I think so.

There are many many reasons and arguments for not smoking. How many reasons or arguments are there for smoking?

The rant over, I admire anyone who can give up with will power alone. They are doing themselves and the rest of us a big favour. I wish you every success. :)

PS. Sorry Andy-K I am one of those ardent anti smokers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom