• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

C class vs E class - Estates

I do beliebe I'm sold on the E class estate. I was looking at the years specified but seeing the 2014 E class has the gear shifter moved up around the steering wheel, I would much preffer that one. For the extra cabin space in the front.

Do the newer generation (facelift E classes have the same issues with the gearboxes as the C classes 7G tronics? The ECU/speed range sensor in it)
Not hearing of any problems with gearboxes (they are 9G not 7G). Silky smooth but do need an oil change every 75k miles. The only tip I would say is do try (if you can) a long journey in the car you want to buy. I came from a Landrover Discovery Sport and I really miss the comfort of the seats in it. I have the AMG Line trim interior and the seats look great but are more it on that sit in them - this can grate after 2 or 3 hours drving. I think the SE/Avantgarde ones are a bit more bolstered for comfort.

I keep reading about nox sensors, dpf & egr build ups of diesel and ad blue. Personally I'm going to stay away from diesels. I had the C250 cdi 2011 until a month ago and I dreaded any issues with that. One of the reasons for selling it...although I regret it
I get what you are saying but the engine you had in your C is not the 654 engine in the current C/E etc. Part of the engineering behind this was to (really) close couple the SCR and then the DPF after the exhaust manifold to maintain exhaust temperatures and thus passive regen. I know sensors can go but these are a relative cheap and easy swap (not that I justify their failure), but the actual DPF's do not fail/clog - the German taxi market is a big customer for these cars and MB can't afford it to fail. My wifes car lives in town - her drive is 10km to work each day and this can be a clear (30 to 40 mph) run or stop start most of the way. She does get to give the car a run to visit family (100km away) about once every one or two months but that is it apart from a trip way down to Bavaria a couple of times a year. Never had an issue and the car is currently on just under 40k miles after 4.5 years.

I know other cars have issues, but when you really look behind the engineering the 654 engine is really amazing. Also noting that after the 2015 VW diesel scandal, the ADAC tested it in 2017 and it was the cleanest diesel engine on sale in the EU (and Euro 6d compliant 2 years before the regs) with NOx half the allowed limit - it was even cleaner that a 116i petrol. In my opinion the only real issue with the 654 are worn rocker arms which can fail at under 100k miles, especially if oil is not changed or not of the right quality.

Only difference in standards for the Chinese market is the fact that you're required to pass flamability tests on each component that is in the car (interior more or less).

Other markets don't have this requirement.

China's not in it, though, and won't be. There are rules around the interference of the state in trade that China will never be able to meet.

Update time a bit

As mentioned, I do have the E class in mind. Ideally with the 9G gearbox.

I saw the E350 as the favorite.
But, what engine codes do they have?
Can someone help me out with the engine codes on the petrol ones?
From the E200 all the way to the E350?
I'm interested to know where the chain sits. Is it easy access or at the back to need the engine taken out?

Update time a bit

As mentioned, I do have the E class in mind. Ideally with the 9G gearbox.

I saw the E350 as the favorite.
But, what engine codes do they have?
Can someone help me out with the engine codes on the petrol ones?
From the E200 all the way to the E350?
I'm interested to know where the chain sits. Is it easy access or at the back to need the engine taken out?
You can find that in the Wiki.

You can find that in the Wiki.
I tried but it comes up with all the engines from beggining to present day. A lot of them still have present marked. And the i5, v6 etc are not helping me. I'll try to wiki it again as a last resort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom