• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

C180 1.6 M274 Coupe - Unstable Temperature

FelipeGrandin

Car
C180
Hello, how are you?
My name is Felipe, I'm Brazilian and I own a C180 1.6 2013/14 with the M274 engine.

My car has an unstable temperature.
In small circuits the temperature hangs in 90 degrees celsius
But if I'm walking on a road at 120km/h the temperature drops to 65-70 depending.

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-04 at 22.20.52.jpeg
I saw that some users changed the thermostat and resulted in correcting the error.
Is it just the solution to this error?

Thank you

The symptoms you describe might come from a faulty thermostat or they might just be the result of a faulty temperature readout. The cooling system on the M274 is complex--- see this link below. I suggest getting the car checked on a Mercedes STAR diagnostic system before replacing any item.
https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=758372

Grober, thanks for the reply

My car has already passed the Star Diagnostics, the engine module has been updated and everything is ok.

I see no other solution than to change the thermostat.
Is it also necessary to change the temperature sensor?

Thank you

Your car also has variable radiator shutters to restrict airflow - perhaps these are broken/stuck open so that at higher speed your engine is overcooled? see page 18 of the link. I am not sure where your temperature readout on the dash is generated from? It may be from the same coolant temperature sensor the Engine ECU uses or a separate one-don't know-- however a tempertaure sensor is going to cost considerably less than a thermostat so I would be inclined to change that first. :dk:

Good Morning
The problem was solved!
I changed the thermostat and the temperature is now stable.
I also felt that the car raises the temperature easier and there is no variation when it reaches around 90 degrees

thank you so much!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom