C63 AMG W204 Exhaust Options Resinator Delete or Not?? HELP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Few simple questions to help you:

1) Do you want it louder even when idle or lower revs? if so, the x-pipe may not be suitable for you as its main purpose is to soften it down a bit but still give it the AMG character at full WOOT.

2) Are you ok if it is slightly raspy? Straight pipe replacing OEM resonator will make the top end slightly raspy compare to OEM. Very minimal but to some people, the increase in volume is perceived as being raspy.

The easiest way i would suggest - come unto Facebook C63 AMG UK group. There is a few around south london or farnborough or south coast who might be able to help.

Just to come back on your useful Questions, I was quite frustrated today because indeed as you said by adding the X Pipe I did indeed loose alot of the AMG Bark but Gained more Volume and raspyness, the AMG Bark I really want to keep that there with the Depth! I have for sure lost the deep rumble.

Do you know of anyone that has actually got a Happy balance or even kept all of the BARK Noise and increased the volume? Is it worth changing the X Pipe to straight pipes where the resanator was?

Has anyone changed the mufflers but left the stock resanator in?

Cheers

You might lose a bit of the character with resonator delete, since you already done secondary cat delete. US owners uses x pipe as it maintains the back pressure. There is a slight drop, very very minimal 2-3bhp with straight pipes replacing OEM resonator.
UK owners generally don't go for x-pipe as it cost more, and most just wants it to be louder, which is achievable with straight pipes replacing resonator.

Got the Xpipe installed today and I did indeed loose Character! I Lost the Depth of the Bark but gained more volume (Raspier) surely there is a way of keeping the bark but up the volume? I take it The resanator is there to do one job only and deaden the sound.

Hi Thanks for the Comment, yes I'm really trying to keep the AMG Bark but turn the volume up, if I'm honest I believe the resanator is producing most of that deep Bark? I haven't lost it all completely but it is 100 percent Raspier and by adding the X Pipe I'm losing the Depth of the AMG Noise. I'm actually really toying with the idea of putting the Resanator back in, however it Does NOT DRONE Luckily I've had it made so I can bolt off the X Pipe and the old Resanator within that back section. I can tell you for sure that the Estate Verses the coupe sound very different from inside the cabin, Mercedes have done a top job with sound proofing!

I think I Might try straight Pipes tomorrow where the X Pipe is and report back.

As you say it's very difficult to grasp the noise via a YouTube Video, I think it is just a trial and error.
Cheers

I would put back to stock as much as possible. Then replace the secondary cats with straight pipes. Some models only come with one lot of cats unsure on which models. On the US forum's this mod gives the best more volume sound but still keeping the AMG exhaust note.

Res delete in many cases can cause a drone. Some say they do some say they don't hear it. I had this on an E55k it was only noticeable at certain mph could get draining on long hauls.

Be interesting on what you finally decide on. :thumb:

I have always thought that the Resonator, was really designed to create and control the tone of the exhaust system. (That's leaving aside the X / Crossover element which I believe helps exhaust scavenging on an NA V8 engine, which maximises engine power output, everything else being equal)

Whereas the back boxes are really what kills the sound energy in the system, thus controls the the actual volume level as such.

I would consider opening up the back boxes, and taking out some of the sound deadening material, and/or sealing up, by welding, the perforated tubes that run through the back boxes, which I assume are sat in a bath of sound deadening material.

Of course I may be completely wrong, but its only my theory anyway.

I am thinking about what to do with my TT E63 at the moment. It is a little muted on part throttle to be honest, blame the turbos of course, but I am not going to be dropping the turbos out of the equation, haha.

I would like a very subtle and discrete modification that simply ups the volume level a little. I am quite happy with the tone, so I am considering doing some tinkering on the back boxes.

Just to come back on your useful Questions, I was quite frustrated today because indeed as you said by adding the X Pipe I did indeed loose alot of the AMG Bark but Gained more Volume and raspyness, the AMG Bark I really want to keep that there with the Depth! I have for sure lost the deep rumble.

Do you know of anyone that has actually got a Happy balance or even kept all of the BARK Noise and increased the volume? Is it worth changing the X Pipe to straight pipes where the resanator was?

Has anyone changed the mufflers but left the stock resanator in?

Cheers

Dont change the mufflers. Thats what gives the character. A lot of E55 owners install C63 back boxes to add to the AMG tone.

It seems like you dont like the X-pipe. Your description seems to be the opposite of owners who has done the straight pipe and dislike it, changing to x-pipe and found satisfaction.

As mentioned, mods to exhaust sound in C63 is such a subjective thing. All depends on end user perception of sound, volume and increase in volume.

Since you already have the miltek secondary bypass pipes, just swap the x-pipe to straight pipes at resonator level and see if u like it. May sound better with the dynamics of the estate cabin.

NEW UPDATE I had the X pipe Removed and replaced with straight pipes where the Resanator is and wow what a difference, the Bark is back and angrier than ever!! It is pretty loud. I think that you need a very small Pipe which joins between the two straight pipe just to tone it down a touch! It really is a trial and error but I want to get the sound just right!

I will keep you all posted and add some videos to youtube very soon.

Dont change the mufflers. Thats what gives the character. A lot of E55 owners install C63 back boxes to add to the AMG tone.

It seems like you dont like the X-pipe. Your description seems to be the opposite of owners who has done the straight pipe and dislike it, changing to x-pipe and found satisfaction.

As mentioned, mods to exhaust sound in C63 is such a subjective thing. All depends on end user perception of sound, volume and increase in volume.

Since you already have the miltek secondary bypass pipes, just swap the x-pipe to straight pipes at resonator level and see if u like it. May sound better with the dynamics of the estate cabin.

I was just posting an update shortly after your post came through!

I have to say the sound proofing in that Estate is something else! So I got the straight pipes put in instead of the X Pipe and the Bark is Back! It is pretty loud maybe I could put the secondary cats back in to tone it down a little? What do you think?

Or my suggestion again trial and error, would be to add a small ish pipe adjoining the two straight pipes? I know the X pipe touches about a quarter of each part of the pipe in the X but you loose the Bark!

Maybe just a H design pipe would still keep the Bark and get the right level of noise? Has anyone tried a H Pipe?

Also not sure of anyone can answer this but would it be a strange or Damage the engine if I keep the setup with no secondary cats and straight separate pipe where the resanator was? A few people say they have the X Pipe H pipe because it Balances the Banks in the engine?

Sorry for all the questions all input would be Greatful. Cheers

I was just posting an update shortly after your post came through!

I have to say the sound proofing in that Estate is something else! So I got the straight pipes put in instead of the X Pipe and the Bark is Back! It is pretty loud maybe I could put the secondary cats back in to tone it down a little? What do you think?

Or my suggestion again trial and error, would be to add a small ish pipe adjoining the two straight pipes? I know the X pipe touches about a quarter of each part of the pipe in the X but you loose the Bark!

Maybe just a H design pipe would still keep the Bark and get the right level of noise? Has anyone tried a H Pipe?

Also not sure of anyone can answer this but would it be a strange or Damage the engine if I keep the setup with no secondary cats and straight separate pipe where the resanator was? A few people say they have the X Pipe H pipe because it Balances the Banks in the engine?

Sorry for all the questions all input would be Greatful. Cheers

The x pipe does indeed maintains the back pressure.
With the straight pipe, you do lose a bit of bhp but we are talking minimal 2-3bhp on dyno.

You can do a H-pipe, which is technically similar to OEM resonator (Inside the resonator is a H-pipe)

I would advice that you let things settle a bit, once carbon'ed up and car adjusts and settles down, you may be totally happy with it. But no doubt it is LOUD outside with secondary cats and resonator delete.

OP, just curious did you find the exhaust note toned down to you liking. Or did you go for a different set up entirely?

I'm more than happy with my exhaust mods.

Be interested in what other M156 owners are running with exhaust mods?

OP, just curious did you find the exhaust note toned down to you liking. Or did you go for a different set up entirely?

I'm more than happy with my exhaust mods.

Be interested in what other M156 owners are running with exhaust mods?
I've had the saloon pre facelift and now got the coupe ppp both standard but both sounded different if that makes sence totally happy especially on full chat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom