• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Car parking

Fastcar155

MB Enthusiast
Car
No so fast car now !
Don't want to start another discussion up but I have read about having to reverse into a car sparking space as in the HC.Plus not reversing onto a main road ( I can understand that ).Any truth or is it a windup.

Don't want to start another discussion up but I have read about having to reverse into a car sparking space as in the HC.Plus not reversing onto a main road ( I can understand that ).Any truth or is it a windup.
Not heard of that myself, however reversing into parking spaces is good practice and safer than reversing out.

Not heard of that myself, however reversing into parking spaces is good practice and safer than reversing out.

This is what I usually do as well. However, bizarrely there are places in the US where it's illegal to park in reverse - my guess is that it's so that the parking attendants can check the tickets on the dash from the sidewalk?

I don't reverse in if I need to load stuff into the boot - with a tailgate this can be impossible if up against a wall or someone parks close behind you. Otherwise, yes.

It's mandatory in many enclosed car parks in Germany as they have air extraction trunking along to walls to remove exhaust fumes.

...not reversing onto a main road ( I can understand that ).Any truth or is it a windup.

The highway code says you shouldn't reverse from a side road into a major road so the same ought to apply to reversing from a parking space into a major road. The guidance does not use the phraseology that suggests it's backed up by a specific law so it is just guidance - until there is an accident and then you are not in a good position.

I see people reversing completely blind out of private drives into quite busy roads, which I find mind boggling. Presumably they don't want to hold traffic up while reversing in, but that would be a much safer option.

I was always told you reversed into parking spaces because it was safer, and more economical to do the manoeuvring on a warm engine.

Back in the 1970's I was told to reverse into a parking space, in order that you could make a quick getaway in the event of a bomb scare ...

That's also how they park in the military - vehicles always ready to move out quickly.

How/where do most of us most park? Answer - in a supermarket car park, where you're coming back with a trolley full of stuff to put into the back of the car - so we park nose first!! Seldom (apart from the blue badge lanes where we park) do supermarkets have walkways betwen each parking lane so you can get to the boot if you park reversed in!

I walk past someone's house most days and have been doing so for 31 years. I have never once seen his car parked nose in on the short drive, it's always reversed in and pretty straight too considering he is 78 - Noddy Holder.

I don't know why he does it, the drive is not much deeper than the car is long and he would be reversing onto a private road with only a a few neighbors and a nursing home further along the road. Perhaps it's still on the principal of safety in spite of so little traffic. His wife's car is also reversed in and also dead straight.

Reminds me of when I was working in Trinidad about 9 years ago , I stayed in a nice hotel in a 'good' area of Port Of Spain . The security guard always reminded me to park my car in reverse with its rear against the wall or fence of the car park . He never explained why , maybe he was a control freak.

I noted in San Francisco recently that on some of those iconic VERY steep suburban roads some of the parking spaces were at 90 degrees to the kerb and everyone parked nose in , then again Americans are famed for never using their handbrake/parking brake and many still insist on calling it the 'emergency' brake.

1726475207525.png

The highway code says you shouldn't reverse from a side road into a major road so the same ought to apply to reversing from a parking space into a major road. The guidance does not use the phraseology that suggests it's backed up by a specific law so it is just guidance - until there is an accident and then you are not in a good position.

Our GP practice has signs "do not reverse park" - but this is only by the surgery building itself where pavement runs along the side of the building and is sensible because the pavement is narrow and children/the elderly etc use that pavement and some drivers are not as capable as others

Revising into a main road, any road, especially narrow roads, main roads and roads packed with parked vehicles is not good practice. When we lived in a road that was not one of the widest and we were one that the 4/5 properties
out 60 odd that had a drive, I'd always park by reversing as it was much safer/easier to pull out - even then, parasites often shot up and down the road ie used it as a short cut.

I see people reversing completely blind out of private drives into quite busy roads, which I find mind boggling. Presumably they don't want to hold traffic up while reversing in, but that would be a much safer option.
On a busy road I can see the issue of attempting to reverse onto your own drive.
You put hazards on and brake to stop past your drive. You are going to be out from the kerb to allow the swing in. So it looks like you are intending to move forwards.
A car behind stops within inches of you bumper, then one behind that car. Now you've no choice but to go round again.

Even if you stop alongside your drive, you would need to tell those following to not take up the space as you move forwards some. How many would merely be confused if you illuminated the reverse lights, and then off again?

On a busy road I can see the issue of attempting to reverse onto your own drive.
You put hazards on and brake to stop past your drive. You are going to be out from the kerb to allow the swing in. So it looks like you are intending to move forwards.
A car behind stops within inches of you bumper, then one behind that car. Now you've no choice but to go round again.

Even if you stop alongside your drive, you would need to tell those following to not take up the space as you move forwards some. How many would merely be confused if you illuminated the reverse lights, and then off again?

For sure it can be inconvenient, depending on the road (and often time of day). Still preferable if you can manage it IMHO - sometimes going past then approaching from the opposite direction is easier. Otherwise you ideally need someone to help you reverse out.

Reactions: m80
Can't t find any real evidence that this is going to happen any time soon , sorry to have caused any inconvenience to the membership

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom