• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

chavplate or not

billywhiz

Car
E55
Unsure of all the screws.. may get it refitted in a surround

dsc01686l.jpg

Get rid of the screws, drill out the captive nuts, get a new plate made and stick on with double sided tape without a surround. Less is more:)

Don't forget to stick some tape over the holes where the studs were.

Last edited:
Yeah mine are all glued down with double-sided sticky foam now. Looks a lot cleaner.

Get rid of the screws, drill out the captive nuts, get a new plate made and stick on with double sided tape without a surround. Less is more:)

Don't forget to stick some tape over the holes where the studs were.

i need to do this , i just dont seem to find time..

Yeah mine are all glued down with double-sided sticky foam now. Looks a lot cleaner.

Dealer i part exed my clk320cab for my current cls 500 transferred my private plates & fixed them as above,they look much better than if they were screwed on.:thumb:

Always fix my plates with sticky pads, much neater :)

No need to drill them out :confused:

Just take out the screws , bin the plate and get a new one made.

Get your surround ( they have recessed parts that the bolts sit in ) ... use the screws that you took out before and use them to hold the surround on.

Get your sticky pads , degrease the plate and the parts of the surround that they will stick to.

Stick on them onto the surround , peel off the other side , stick on numberplate , bolts hidden under plate , job done.

No need to drill them out :confused:

Just take out the screws , bin the plate and get a new one made.

Get your surround ( they have recessed parts that the bolts sit in ) ... use the screws that you took out before and use them to hold the surround on.

Get your sticky pads , degrease the plate and the parts of the surround that they will stick to.

Stick on them onto the surround , peel off the other side , stick on numberplate , bolts hidden under plate , job done.

If you want it to sit flat against the bootlid you have to drill them out...

No , the plate surround i have has a lip that sits tight against the lid , the captive nuts sit within it.

Its basically got a lip same as the one that surrounds the plate on the inside edge too . the captive nuts that stand about 5 mm proud , sit within the lip. Looks smart.

Got one for the A class too . Same principle.

Cost me all of £5 off ebay.

Last edited:
Im mwaiting for my personal plate paperwork to arrive.
I think i will do this.
Looks much nicer

No , the plate surround i have has a lip that sits tight against the lid , the captive nuts sit within it.

Cost me all of £5 off ebay.

Ahh, I see. But if you don't want a surround you will have to drill them out. Anyhow, usually at least one of the screws shears off if the plate has been on a long time because of the alloy captive nut corroding.:)

Ahh, I see. But if you don't want a surround you will have to drill them out. Anyhow, usually at least one of the screws shears off if the plate has been on a long time because of the alloy captive nut corroding.:)

yea i dont want a surround i had one on my black 202 but not a silver car... tbh

Seems I am again going to be a lone voice in favour of the authentic four-screws-per-plate that separates a Mercedes-Benz from the rabble.

Surely that number plate wasn't actually made up by Hughes, was it? If so, they've done you no favours by placing the characters too high - they should fit between the upper and lower screws, so I'd ask for a new set or my money back. I've also never seen a Hughes fit a lipped plate before; must be a recent innovation.

Oh, and as for the question posed in the title of this thread: do you really need to ask... :rolleyes:

Seems I am again going to be a lone voice in favour of the authentic four-screws-per-plate that separates a Mercedes-Benz from the rabble.

Surely that number plate wasn't actually made up by Hughes, was it? If so, they've done you no favours by placing the characters too high - they should fit between the upper and lower screws, so I'd ask for a new set or my money back. I've also never seen a Hughes fit a lipped plate before; must be a recent innovation.

Oh, and as for the question posed in the title of this thread: do you really need to ask... :rolleyes:

Yup - was Hughes that made this up - number plate before had black surround ( no screws ) but they were not sure they would break it removing it which is why they fitted this one _ All new Hughes are indeed lipped plates - going back there tomorrow for 'normal' size plate and I'll fit back into surround :D

I prefer to have plates stuck on, however after I had my plates stolen, I was advised by the local police to screw them on with some special security screws that they supplied. I have now done this on all of our cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom