• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Cheap Mercedes Alloys?

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, ML63, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
See here: 1 Orig Mercedes-Benz Alufelge 9.5Jx19 ET48 A2184010502 CLS-Klasse C218 X218 F159 | eBay. I found them by searching on the MB part number.

I can't say whether there are similar bargains in other sizes, but I bought a set of four C218 CLS 19" rears for £700 delivered, and they really are as-new. The same, but new new, are over £1000 more from a UK supplier.

No import duty or VAT to pay, presumably because they are (technically, at least, in this case...) used. Carriage was £38 per wheel.

Last edited:
See here: 1 Orig Mercedes-Benz Alufelge 9.5Jx19 ET48 A2184010502 CLS-Klasse C218 X218 F159 | eBay. I found them by searching on the MB part number.

I can't say whether there are similar bargains in other sizes, but I bought a set of four C218 CLS 19" rears for £700 delivered, and they really are as-new. The same, but new new, are over £1000 more from a UK supplier.

No import duty or VAT to pay, presumably because they are (technically, at least, in this case...) used. Carriage was £38 per wheel.
Which seller was it? The link goes to a a search result for a part number.

OK, there you go.

Items for sale by penzv | eBay

I knew exactly what I wanted, so searched on a specific part number.

No import duty or VAT to pay, presumably because they are (technically, at least, in this case...) used.
I'd expect VAT on used goods from the EU so did you not get charged? I'm looking at a watch in the EU and it's not new but all sources say I'll have to pay VAT on arrival.

I'd expect VAT on used goods from the EU so did you not get charged? I'm looking at a watch in the EU and it's not new but all sources say I'll have to pay VAT on arrival.
Luck of the draw.

He may be receiving an invoice in the post soon.

Luck of the draw.

He may be receiving an invoice in the post soon.

I rather doubt it. When any sort of impost has been levied in the past, I've had to pay the charge before delivery took place. I can't see HMRC releasing imported goods for delivery without taking their pound of flesh in advance, because human nature being what it is, almost every private individual would I think not pay up until chased. Of course, it may be that the vendor had included it in their pricing, but I don't think so; the price converted into sterling was the same as the Euro price, and there are no duties within the EU.

Maybe Customs just didn't know about the shipment; Border Force isn't well-staffed, and they can't check everything...

Last edited:
I think it depends on the shipping company. I've had several things shipped from abroad by DHL, and have had to pay before they'll deliver. But Fedex, on the same route, will deliver and then send a bill. And if you don't pay promptly they threaten enforcement.

The vendor used UPS. I cannot find anything absolutely definitive, but most of the information I've found states that UPS will require any charges be paid either before or on delivery.

If I receive an invoice from UPS, I'll pay it.

I can't see HMRC releasing imported goods for delivery without taking their pound of flesh in advance
In this situation, HMRC won't have ever seen the parcel. The courier handles declaration and clearance on HMRC's behalf and they will collect and pass the taxes on, normally with a nice little earner on the side in the form of an admin fee.

No invoice yet. I'll post if one arrives, but I'm inclined to think none will.

(I recall that when I bought a set of used alloys from Italy for my last E500, a year after Brexit, there were no Customs or other charges to pay then either. Maybe lightning failed to strike at all, rather than twice, in the same place...)

In this situation, HMRC won't have ever seen the parcel. The courier handles declaration and clearance on HMRC's behalf and they will collect and pass the taxes on, normally with a nice little earner on the side in the form of an admin fee.
In my experience of UPS ( aka OOPS), it's a whopping great earner rather than a nice little one.

Fedex definitely send you an invoice ,I got mine 4 weeks after it was delivered and Ups 2 weeks ago sent me the invoice before they would release it (both were from Austria)

Received an envelope today, 18 September, from UPS; uh-oh, I thought...

It contained an invoice dated 11 September: "Payment Terms: Payment due in seven days from date of invoice. In case of late payment, UPS maintains the right to apply interest of 8% p.a. In addition, UPS charges a late payment fee up to a maximum amount of 40 GBP."

I don't have a contract with UPS, so good luck with that; any attempt to enforce any of that nonsense, and I'll see them in court. I can be bloody-minded like that when pissed-off...

The invoice is for an 'Entry Prep Fee' of £7.56. I'll pay it, but is it worth paying an extra £3.50 to send them seven £0.50p postal orders, just to rattle their chain? Hmmmmmm....

Last edited:
The invoice is for an 'Entry Prep Fee' of £7.56. I'll pay it, but is it worth paying an extra £3.50 to send them seven £0.50p postal orders, just to rattle their chain? Hmmmmmm....
The reality is it wouldn't even register on their radar, all they're concerned about is that the money gets paid and the account settled; how that happens will be lost in the machinations of process. The only person it would inconvenience is you.

The reality is it wouldn't even register on their radar, all they're concerned about is that the money gets paid and the account settled; how that happens will be lost in the machinations of process. The only person it would inconvenience is you.
I was about to say the same. Waste of time.

What's it for, though? I wouldn't have thought they'd be able to enforce it. Until their contract with the vendor is fulfilled by delivery of the goods, any expenses incurred are a matter between UPS and the vendor, surely?

What's it for, though?
It's their fee for processing the shipment through inbound customs

I wouldn't have thought they'd be able to enforce it. Until their contract with the vendor is fulfilled by delivery of the goods, any expenses incurred are a matter between UPS and the vendor, surely?
It depends on the exact circumstances and agreements in place, either the vendor or the courier would be left holding the bill but you're still unlikely to "win". UPS may blacklist you, and/or start legal proceedings. More importantly, if they haven't legally cleared customs then you're in possession of goods you shouldn't be - I think it's clear where that could lead.

It's worth remembering that UPS are acting as agents of HMRC here - do you really want to go to war with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom