• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Cheap Mercedes Alloys?

Nothing to do with HMRC; it's not import duty or VAT. In the unlikely event that a mistake has been made in Customs clearance, that can be corrected, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Legal proceedings would go nowhere; I have no contract with UPS, but the amount is so small that it would not be worth it.

I'd just like to know what the legal basis is for this charge being levied on the recipient. Royal Mail don't try to charge me for carrying parcels to my door and ringing the doorbell.....

Depends on the Incoterm used by the sender when booking the shipment with UPS. I guess they used the common "DAP" - Delivered At Place.
Basically the sender pays for everything bar any cost involved with the clearance of the goods (VAT, Duty & clearance charges), which the receiver must pay UPS for.
When we send our stuff to customers, it goes "DDP" - Deliver Duty Paid, which basically means UPS or whoever bills us for any charges they incur. And man, do they ever!!!
Just as an example, here's a recent invoice for one of our International shipments giving a breakdown of charges.
ups.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom