• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Clicking noise from wheel?

kineas

Car
2015 S212
Hi All,

I've been having an issue for a while now on my 2015 E220d esate where there's a clicking noise that seems to be coming from the front driver side wheel when either braking or steering to the left. It started a while ago after having new pads and discs installed on the front wheels, and I can hear it instantly when picking my car up from the garage. I didn't think much of it at first as the brakes seemed fine, and you can only hear it when the window is open. You can hear it speed up the faster I go, and the noise seems the same no matter how hard I apply the brakes.

It's been like that a few months before I decided enough was enough so I started looking online about the cause. I know it's not the bearings, that came up in a recent MOT and my car's been into Mercedes to have all the bearings sorted. I called up the garage anyway and it's Halfords autocentre that's done the work. I always use them, never had an issue, and even had the pads and discs changed on the back wheels a few months prior absolutely fine.

When I've called them up and explained, they were more than happy to book it in and put it down as a free brake test to take a look. I've dropped it to them and they've had it a whole day. When they've called me to say it's ready, I've asked what was wrong to which they said there was a build up of brake dust. I questioned this being the cause of the noise as I explained the noise was there from the day they put the new discs and pads on. So I asked has the noise now gone? The guy explained that he hasn't looked at it personally and he's just reading the notes their technician has wrote, but when they've inspected the brakes, that's the only thing they could see being an issue. So I go pick it up, and yeh, the noise is still there.

So now I don't know what to do next. Do I go back to them yet again? I've now lost confidence with them and I don't think having them look at it again is going to get it sorted, and it's such as pain dropping it off having to do it around work and dropping/collecting my kids from childcare. Do I take it somewhere else that does a free brake check? Do I need to start paying out to get it looked at properly?

Just going back over the work I had done and the order in which it was done, I had the front pads and discs done a few months before the rear ones, and I know it started driving back from the garage on my most recent visit. So now I'm thinking it's coming from the rear as it's hard to tell when driving. I've seen a few things about the parking brake causing this, and mine is an issue to be honest (doesn't release on it's own in cold weather, have to use my foot to pull the foot pedal up, and sometime feels loose when released). Seems a coincidence but how could I tell if this was the cause?

Just going back over the work I had done and the order in which it was done, I had the front pads and discs done a few months before the rear ones, and I know it started driving back from the garage on my most recent visit. So now I'm thinking it's coming from the rear as it's hard to tell when driving. I've seen a few things about the parking brake causing this, and mine is an issue to be honest (doesn't release on it's own in cold weather, have to use my foot to pull the foot pedal up, and sometime feels loose when released). Seems a coincidence but how could I tell if this was the cause?
If it was me I'd be booking into a local MB indie for them to sort the parking brake and identify the source of the clicking noise. Otherwise you could be in for a long frustrating process. If you say where you are located, someone will be able to suggest a recommended indie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom