• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Comet sale

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
The Comet liquidation sale started at 09:00 this morning .

While I feel sorry for those who work there , there may be some bargains to be had .

I would only buy items that are in the store and can be taken away there and then .

Thanks for the heads up. Any likely warranty/ DOA problems? Wonder if that £75 off retail might not look so attractive when that new LCD screen fails to light up when you first switch it on??

I think you are covered by the manufacturer in law... but in practice some of the manufacturers insist on you returning to the retailer!

Didn't Comet use a third party company for repairs anyway ?

As Jay says , you will still have manufacturers warranty .

Worth asking before you hand cash over all the same .

Will get bigger as time goes on though. Question is, will you wait for the price to go down and risk missing what you want or do you blink first and buy it, potentially at a higher price than you needed to?

Went down to my local one today having read this post.

To find it has already been closed and is being refitted , doh ! :doh:

Guess i wasn't destined to have a cheap telly.

Just got back from a look round. I couldn't see anything I wanted at any great discount :crazy:

If you've already got one that works it doesn't get cheaper than that! (Just trying to look on the bright side)

Sounds more and more like asset stripping to me...wait till the company is fully stocked with tat for Christmas, then pull the plug and flog all the stock - instant profit...

Some cracking bargains
Get them before they're all gone!

Thought I'd go down to Comet (like a vulture) and buy a 78" 3D television for 82p, but there's hardly anything on sale.

A few 10/15/20% off labels but that's about it.

Went down to my local one today having read this post.

To find it has already been closed and is being refitted , doh ! :doh:

That one closed several weeks ago - thought it was a bit odd but I guess they knew what was coming... :doh:

Ditto, went to Comet at lunchtime to seek out some electronic gadgetry I don't need at a bargain price.

Load of rubbish. Only 10% off anything I might have been tempted by (off an original price 30% more than I could get it elsewhere anyway).

If you've already got one that works it doesn't get cheaper than that! (Just trying to look on the bright side)

I was just generalising lol , i've got a good telly.

I was going to be like SPX and be a vulture. :o

You are all 12 months too late for a bargain.

You could have purchased the whole company in Nov 2011 for £2.

Only if you agreed to take on debts of a gaziliion £

Plan should have been to :

a) purchase the company for £2,

b) take on the gazillion of debt

c) buy yourself a cheap telly or two

d) put the company into administration.

You would get your cheap telly, and the outcome for Comet would be the same.

Sounds more and more like asset stripping to me...wait till the company is fully stocked with tat for Christmas, then pull the plug and flog all the stock - instant profit...

I thought asset stripping was where you bought an undervalued company and then sold the assets for more than you bought them for and (after paying off debts) made a profit.

Unfortunately in this case, the only person who makes a profit is the administrator.

There will not be enough cash to pay off the debts (after the administrators have been paid first mind ;)), thus the lenders will lose out and the investors will lose their £2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom