• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Could use some CLK buying advice

Oli

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
Hi everyone, I'm new on here and am interested in buying a W208 CLK cabriolet, around 2000/2001 as I would rather have the facelift one.
I've owned one Merc previously a CLK 230 K coupe but it was the pre facelift one, I believe the only main differences are a new gearbox, multi function steering wheel,and indicators on the wing mirrors?
My main question really is which model to go for?, I have a budget of about £6500 and ideally would like to get as low milage one as possible, there was a lovely 320 Elegance on an X reg in one of my favourite colours for the CLK-Obsidian Black with black leather however it is advertised as 45000 miles but has no service book so I will give it a wide birth, what would you advise the best one to go for 230K, 320 or 430?, and lastly are there any CLK specific faults I should look out for when buying as I've known the pain of buying a lemon from previous car purchases, my two favourite colours are Black and Silver although I would buy one in most colours other than green and red if it was the right car, are they pretty durable if they've been serviced? so a 100000 mile one with full MB history shouldn't be ruled out?.
Thanks in advance for your help

I run one of the first pre face lift W208 CLK with Brabus K1s Tuning pack, its a 230K and pretty bullet proof, my only experience is with this but the only comment I would make is when they went to the face lift cars they also changed the paint spec and thickness so for the first couple of years of facelift the paint is rumoured to be iffy and I have seen some poor examples, would buy as late as I can if I were you. I drove a few 320's when I was looking and again they were good cars but all auto and I preffered manual, the thing that swung me to the 230k in the end was I found a one owner FMBSH with Brabus tuning pack on and although 10 years old only had 70K on and was mint hope that helps

Last edited:
not definitive but a start

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=692

try to have a look at the spring perches, these can shear off due to rust and leave you with a large bill,

I think the gearbox is the same they just added tiptronic control to the gear selector, the facelift computer in the cabin (fuel useage, mileage cruise etc) is much nicer to use over the pre face lift job

Totally agree wih the above mb guy!!!

I've changed from my pe face lift w203 to an o7 plate - much better drive all round.

My nephew has a 2004 AG clk, coupe 270cdi & he's very happy with it.

Thanks for the advice everyone, just wondered should a pre facelift one command a far lower price than a facelifted model with similar milage, say a '99 and a 2000?, also from looking on Autotrader the 320s seem to go for the most money too, in honesty though I'm most tempted by a 430, although a little worried about the MPG as I did want something that's a noticeable improvement on a Range Rover!!.

Thanks for the advice everyone, just wondered should a pre facelift one command a far lower price than a facelifted model with similar milage, say a '99 and a 2000?, also from looking on Autotrader the 320s seem to go for the most money too, in honesty though I'm most tempted by a 430, although a little worried about the MPG as I did want something that's a noticeable improvement on a Range Rover!!.

I think an F1-11 jet would be an improvement on the RR if it's a 4.6 :D

I think an F1-11 jet would be an improvement on the RR if it's a 4.6 :D

Yup, owned one of those, appalling is a good way to describe the mpg of a Range Rover...still, I owned it for 7 years and loved the thing.

W208

Watch out for the clocks, especially the clock and ambient tem gauge. They are a known failure fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the difference between a pre-facelift and facelift W208 CLK?

What is the difference between a pre-facelift and facelift W208 CLK?

Key differences are indicators in the mirrors and multi function wheel are only on the facelift.

I have a 230 which i have been very happy with. However i would def. go for a 320 if i was buying again, much much smoother.

Watch out for the clocks, especially the clock and ambient tem gauge. They are a known failure fault.

Don't let this put you off ... it's a ten minute fix with some rubber pads.

Facelifts have colour coded body lower body panels , indicators in the mirrors , tiptronic gearbox , multifunction computer , controls on the steering wheel , few other bits but i can't think of them offhand ....

Last edited:
I've done 70,000 in a facelift 230K Cab (noisy and harsh but ok), and recently upgraded to a 320 cab (my 5th Merc) as the 230 had 135,000 on the clock, and s/h cars are cheep at the moment.
The 320 is much smoother and virtually silent, and more power is nice ;-), fuel economy is only 2mpg lower than the 230.
Apart from headlight bulbs blowing every 6 months the only problem was the gear selector needed replacement at 120K. I've not had any problems with paint and rust, etc.

I'd recommend a facelift 320 with as many extras as you can get. The parktronic is very good as the high boot makes parking difficult without it.

mercs.jpg

Last edited:
Just to throw a spanner in the works ....

I'd recommend a 430 with as many extras as you can get ....

I had a 320 cab before my 430 and the difference is incredible ...

At least have a drive of a V8 before you decide , economy is about 3 or 4 mpg less than my old 320 . If you decide to go for a cabrio , remember the cabrios weigh 200kg ( ish ) more than the coupes.

The 320 cab is a full second slower to 60 than the 320 coupe. :eek:

The V8 will give you so many smiles it's unreal.

I was gutted when my 320 cab was written off by an idiot , but looking back with hindsight , he did me a favour .... ;)

Just to throw a spanner in the works ....

I'd recommend a 430 with as many extras as you can get ....

I had a 320 cab before my 430 and the difference is incredible ...

At least have a drive of a V8 before you decide , economy is about 3 or 4 mpg less than my old 320 . If you decide to go for a cabrio , remember the cabrios weigh 200kg ( ish ) more than the coupes.

The 320 cab is a full second slower to 60 than the 320 coupe. :eek:

The V8 will give you so many smiles it's unreal.

I was gutted when my 320 cab was written off by an idiot , but looking back with hindsight , he did me a favour .... ;)

Glad your happy with the 430!

Is OP is prepared to run a V8 then the 55 must be an option...

Last edited:
Just to let you all know I bought a car in the end, not exactly what I thought I would end up with but got a 230K Coupe, a 2001 model with good milage and service history and the cars in very good condition and I got it at a great price, it's not exactly what I wanted and I would have bought a 320 or even 430 if one had come up but I'm not planning on keeping it for ages and I'm really happy with it, I know what people mean about the 230K being a bit revvy and corse at higher revs but it doesn't bother me too much and for normal driving it's fine, all I need to do now is get some AMG wheels for it :D .

Congrats on the purchase, all you need to do now is post some pictures ! :D

Just to let you all know I bought a car in the end, not exactly what I thought I would end up with but got a 230K Coupe, a 2001 model with good milage and service history and the cars in very good condition and I got it at a great price, it's not exactly what I wanted and I would have bought a 320 or even 430 if one had come up but I'm not planning on keeping it for ages and I'm really happy with it, I know what people mean about the 230K being a bit revvy and corse at higher revs but it doesn't bother me too much and for normal driving it's fine, all I need to do now is get some AMG wheels for it :D .

Congrats on the purchase I too have a 230k CLK it is more coarse than the 320 but I bought mine as it had a Brabus K1 tuning kit fitted and a manual box and I love every mile in it:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom