• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

creaking suspension

fnkhan68

Car
1993 Mercedes 320e and 2000 BMW E39 523i
for the past few weeks during this cold spell that we are having i have noticed that from a cold start, my car creaks when going over speed humps. the weird thing is once the car warms up the creaking noise goes away when going over humps and the suspension is all good as the ride is comfortable and the way it should be on a w124. i have only noticed this problem once my car came off a ramp at a local garage and the creaking noise comes from the front but predominantly from the back. ideas anyone?

is this an expensive job?

About £10 if you do it yourself. Easy ish job.

hah, the only thing my fingers are good for is using a laptop and a pen. how much you reckon an indie will charge?

about £60 - 65 I think. You wont be able to pull the torsion bar out to do the job and getting the old bushes off usually results in the use of a stanley knife. It can be done in situ but depending on the state of the bushes will depend on how long it will take. Go, give your fingers a treat, save yourself some dosh. ;)

Ill be changing mine this week, they dont creek but it the car rides hard, its well worth the tenner!

anyone have a part number for anti-roll bar bushes a c180 w202? or confirm if this is right A202 326 00 68? Cheers

wrong nos??

See the Russian site http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...417717.418&CT=F&cat=44V&SID=32&SGR=060&SGN=02
You may need to renew the two front bushes plus the two where the torsion bar mounts on the suspension arm. Depending on the state of your mounting brackets/ bolts you may want to renew them as well at the same time. As to the part no mercedes are known to substitute original nos with an equivalent but I dont see that 202 no in the c180 listing.

Another cause of creaks is worn front balljoints. If you're going to get someone to do the ARB bushes I'd get them to replace both balljoints & check the front springs at the same time. Balljoints are about £12 from Mercedes and are "mission critical" - ie they stop the wheel falling off - so I consider them more important than ARB bushes...

Once the car's up in the air with front wheels off and the ARB disconnected it's not a huge job to replace the balljoints and it's not a job I'd do at home

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Guys

The anti roll bar is just that.

It stops the car rolling too much on curves.

It does NOT make much of an impact on the suspension itself - it does not make it much harder or softer when the bushes have gone.

You can easily take the front bar off the W124 by just lying on the ground at the front of the car and undoing all the bolts that hold the rubber bushes on.

If the car is not jacked up the bar is not under tension.

You can drive around without the bar on, perfectly well.

Lots of cars do not even have a bar on the front and back as standard, so it's only a refinement to keep the car on a more even keel whilst driving in a spirited fashion.

By taking the bar off it can make diagnosing knocks much easier because that can then be eliminated - and if you still get knocks you know it is something else.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom