• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Daily Mail Shrunk.

trapperjohn

MB Enthusiast
Car
124 300D 24V Estate
I have confessed before on here about being a Daily Mail reader.:eek:

Yesterday I noticed it had shrunk - dimensions wise - but it is back to its normal size today.

Do any other national newspapers do this size reduction thing on a Tuesday?

((Dons tin hat and stands by for incoming for being a Daily Mail purchaser)(Weak excuse is - SWMBO enjoys reading it!))

Do people still buy newspapers?

I thought we all used smartphone apps for news these days. :)

Do people still buy newspapers?

I thought we all used smartphone apps for news these days. :)

Yeah, never understood why people would want to read yesterday's news in today's newspapers ?? :dk:

John disappointed in you.

Electricity and water available now in your neck of the woods and no iPhone. Next excuse will be no "tinternet " thingy connection;-)

Bring back steam trains..........

I wouldn't personally spend money on a newspaper, but commuting by train every day I do read the free ones in the morning (Metro) and evening (Evening Standard).

No idea about the size of the Mail changing though!

Just hold it closer to your face until it appears the same size :)

Haven't actually bought a newspaper for about a decade.

Does the paper version of the Mail feature about 15 Kardashian / Jenner / Caitlyn stories everyday like the online version?

How can that be when the print version is incapable of being updated?

More time to garner facts before fixed printing deadline rather than a rush to the internet to be the first to blurt a headline. The following days paper can carry updates of the story.
In truth though, it matters not one jot how you receive your news. Better that you do (via any medium) than remain unaware of what happens in the world. If online suits you better, fine by me. My (very personal) bias is to a newspaper I've learned to trust over a number of years. Maybe just 'old habits dying hard'. Maybe the crossword is easier done on paper with a pen!

Haven't actually bought a newspaper for about a decade.

Does the paper version of the Mail feature about 15 Kardashian / Jenner / Caitlyn stories everyday like the online version?

It probably does alongside the updates on Kellie (Frank) Malony :eek:

Around 20 years ago ,within my organisation, the standard web width for a tabloid newspaper was 1484mm , this was reduced to 1440 around 7 years ago and there is still more to go as even a 40mm reduction will see savings in the millions due to the amount of copy produced annually ,providing people keep buying papers which is extremely unlikely if the decline over the last 20 years is anything to go by.

Each 40mm reduction in web width will see a 10mm reduction in copy size as there are four pages across the web.

Kenny

Last edited:
Since when did newspapers print nothing but the truth?

What actually happened and what is printed are often far apart.

Some are closer to the truth than others - but I don't want to lay into the Daily Wail. That would be unfair on The Sun, Mirror, etc...

More time to garner facts before fixed printing deadline rather than a rush to the internet to be the first to blurt a headline. The following days paper can carry updates of the story.
In truth though, it matters not one jot how you receive your news. Better that you do (via any medium) than remain unaware of what happens in the world. If online suits you better, fine by me. My (very personal) bias is to a newspaper I've learned to trust over a number of years. Maybe just 'old habits dying hard'. Maybe the crossword is easier done on paper with a pen!

Until quite recently this could be me talking, however, I stopped buying papers and started reading online. Since then I am always surprised at how old the stories seem when I do pick up a paper, i really does seem like yesterday's news.

Paradoxically online papers can be updated in real time and stories evolve and can be re-read as it unfolds.

I'm with you on the crossword issue and will add that there is nothing like a real paper to enjoy over a leisurely breakfast.

The one think that irritates me about the online news experience is that the Daily Mail seems to have one of the better online offerings in terms of layout and ease of use, oh and the comments sections are hilarious!

It's not that the Daily Mail is getting smaller.

That's not the issue.

The real problem is that you get less chips…

John, I will find out definitively for you ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom