• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Did I have a lucky escape?

Matt58

Car
2003 E55 sedan
Just been to see a M113K block that I had planned on keeping as a spare for my E55, the guy selling had sent me loads of pictures of bores that looked fine after apparently doing 90k, but on closer inspection I found a few vertical lines that I could positively feel with my finger nails, so I turned the sale down. Did I do the right thing, bearing in mind these are alusil? Would be interested in peoples thoughts. Matt.

Just been to see a M113K block that I had planned on keeping as a spare for my E55, the guy selling had sent me loads of pictures of bores that looked fine after apparently doing 90k, but on closer inspection I found a few vertical lines that I could positively feel with my finger nails, so I turned the sale down. Did I do the right thing, bearing in mind these are alusil? Would be interested in peoples thoughts. Matt.
Depends on whether the lines would hone out or not, but if you could feel them with your fingernail;, then I doubt it. I think it was one to run from! You've also got to ask the question, 'why was he selling a bare block?' ....Answers on a post card!

Ernie

Depends on whether the lines would hone out or not, but if you could feel them with your fingernail;, then I doubt it. I think it was one to run from! You've also got to ask the question, 'why was he selling a bare block?' ....Answers on a post card!

Ernie
Thanks for replay, he originally was selling engine as is, excluding supercharger pulleys etc, but I asked if he would consider selling without heads, that way I could have a good look at the bores, but obviously you can look at loads of pictures but you can’t feel with your eyes, and he must of cut his fingernails pretty short not to feel what I felt in two of the cylinders I could get access to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom