Different option to retrofit rear camera W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OM651

Car
W212
God evening I had search and read a lot of retrofit rear camera for W212 models because mine did not coming with it from factory and I learned that’s it’s not even possible to retrofit original camera system with MB parts because I got the NTG 4.5 audio 20 unit no (command) it’s the cheapest system for this car I believe.

Did some research and found aftermarket module from aliexpress that should make it possible. But ditched that because I could not find much information about it.

If you got command system you could retrofit original camera from MB but it’s kind of a procedure and costly.

This it’s kind of the system I found.

- MB original retrofit command system
- Wired China kit
- Wired kit with extern screen
- Wireless with GPS screen

I did choose the Garmin wireless option with GPS as a screen because the original GPS (Becker) it’s literally worthless and costly to upgrade (100€) then i did not have to buy the GPS only as a screen because I really have use for a good GPS.

Things I like with this. GPS and camera for same unit. Really easy install, not much cables to draw inside the car. Quality feels really good and the look from outside seems OEM in my opinion. You don’t have to mess with your original system and it save you a lot of work.

Downside with this solution. When you put in the reverse gear it’s about 2 sec before it’s starts up on the screen and picture quality this that’s should be better. Some may not like the add of another screen but not bother me at all.

Garmin GPS 100€
Garmin Camera 150€

If you have any questions about this Garmin system or some other solution ask and I do my best to answer you.

Video for Garmin install
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

God evening I had search and read a lot of retrofit rear camera for W212 models because mine did not coming with it from factory and I learned that’s it’s not even possible to retrofit original camera system with MB parts because I got the NTG 4.5 audio 20 unit no (command) it’s the cheapest system for this car I believe.

Did some research and found aftermarket module from aliexpress that should make it possible. But ditched that because I could not find much information about it.

If you got command system you could retrofit original camera from MB but it’s kind of a procedure and costly.

- Wired China kit

I did choose the Garmin wireless option with GPS as a screen because the original GPS (Becker) it’s literally worthless and costly to upgrade (100€) then i did not have to buy the GPS only as a screen because I really have use for a good GPS.

Things I like with this. GPS and camera for same unit. Really easy install, not much cables to draw inside the car. Quality feels really good and the look from outside seems OEM in my opinion. You don’t have to mess with your original system and it save you a lot of work.

Downside with this solution. When you put in the reverse gear it’s about 2 sec before it’s starts up on the screen and picture quality this that’s should be better. Some may not like the add of another screen but not bother me at all.

Garmin GPS 100€
Garmin Camera 150€

If you have any questions about this Garmin system or some other solution ask and I do my best to answer you.

Video for Garmin install
Very well explained, and easy to understand. You took the feed (+and - ) from the reversing light..did this have any effect on the canbus system? Or did you use a relay? Could you show a bit more about routing the cable from the camera up through the car all the way to the dash panel? Did you have to remove the side panels or lift the carpet? Thanks for posting......now you have me thinking abour doing it in my w212 as well....

- Wired China kit

Garmin GPS 100€
Garmin Camera 150€

Video for Garmin install
There is a kit available that will give you reverse camera integrated with your existing Audio 20.

Very well explained, and easy to understand. You took the feed (+and - ) from the reversing light..did this have any effect on the canbus system? Or did you use a relay? Could you show a bit more about routing the cable from the camera up through the car all the way to the dash panel? Did you have to remove the side panels or lift the carpet? Thanks for posting......now you have me thinking abour doing it in my w212 as well....
Really easy install not to hard to understand compare to other setups. No canbus warning or things like that think the Garmin box has some things built in. No other things then Garmin rear camera things that’s come in the box. Everything it’s in that video you don’t have to route more cables it’s sending wireless to garmin unit from the rear.

Go for it I think it’s a good upgrade even if the oem solution it’s better this working great as a easy rear camera solution.

There is a kit available that will give you reverse camera integrated with your existing Audio 20.

That’s seems to be some good quality kit could not understand how I not found that earlier :rolleyes: Seems that they use original things for that kit could some confirm? Not much info on that kit from there site.

Really easy install not to hard to understand compare to other setups. No canbus warning or things like that think the Garmin box has some things built in. No other things then Garmin rear camera things that’s come in the box. Everything it’s in that video you don’t have to route more cables it’s sending wireless to garmin unit from the rear.

Go for it I think it’s a good upgrade even if the oem solution it’s better this neat !!!working great as a easy rear camera solution.
Ah, so its bluetooth??? I missed that part. Now that makes it very simple, and the Garmin draws its power from the cigarette lighter. I get it now. Thats very neat. And after looking at it again, I'm not surprised that the canbus is not showing a fault code, because its the 2012 E class and they had standard electrical set up IE; cables and bulbs. I was able to wire a trailer socket direct using a standard relay in my previous MB E class, a 2010 model. But that changed from 2013 when the canbus system was used, as thats whats in my 2014 E class Saloon . But even so, then a relay powered by the small battery in the boot like mine has, and triggered by the reversing light LED cable would do the trick,
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom