• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Different types of suspension in 211 wagons

Baldbloke

Car
E Class Estate 320CDI Elegance 2007 Non- ADS
I have an issue with my rear self levelling air suspension and need some clarity on why my 2007 Elegance estate car might be so different to the other trim specced estate cars that the Arnott spring conversion set up won't work.

C-3080
Arnott Rear Coil Conversion Kit - 02-09 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon (W211) w/o ADS

Supposedly the spring conversion kit works on any 211 with rear self levelling suspension as long as it doesn't have ADS. I presume ADS is air suspension on all four corners. My car just has the self levelling air suspension to the rear with the front having springs, so it seems to fit the requirements listed in the kit above. However, Arnott has suggested that their kit will fit every model of 211 estate car but the Elegance.Here's a description on Ebay:

Item Description
Arnott Rear Coil Conversion Kit - 02-09 Mercedes-Benz E-Class (W211) w/o ADS w/ Rear Suspension

Arnott's new Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon Coil Spring Conversion Kit was exclusively designed for the E-Class Wagon with rear air suspension only (without ADS and excl. the Elegance models!!). This kit converts the rear air springs of the vehicle to a reliable coil spring suspension system. Arnott's springs are designed to give your wagon a smooth ride, comparable to the original air suspension. These aftermarket springs fit perfectly in the seat without welding or modifying the original suspension. The Mercedes-Benz E-Class suspension Conversion Kit features powder-coated coil springs and detailed installation instructions including how to turn off the dash warning lights.

Features:

• Converts E-Class with Rear Air Suspension Only
  • Powder-Coated Steel Springs
  • Fits Without Modifications
  • Detailed Installation Manual Available
  • Arnott Superior Warranties

This rear Coil Conversion Kit is not for E-Class Wagons with 4-Corner air suspension (w/ADS) and NOT AVAILABLE for ELEGANCE models.

Additional Information: This part number replaces C-2675.

Fits Vehicle: 2002-2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class (W211 estate w/Rear Leveling Only w/o ADS)

Can someone please tell me how my rear suspension differs from say the Avantguard model of E-Class 211 Estate car, and why the kit shouldn't fit?

Last edited:
Perhaps the Elegance models have softer and longer travel suspension?

The Avantgarde is definitely lower than the Elegance or the Classic models.
Moving to coil springs means that you will lose the self-levelling aspects of the E Class estate.
I understand that MB have reduced prices of replacement air suspension units - might be worth checking out.

Ok. Arnott replied to my query.

profile_mask2.png

Arnott Europe (info@) <[email protected]>
Fri, Mar 8, 3:31 PM (2 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Good afternoon sir,

The C-3080 is indeed NOT available for the Elegance model. The reason behind it is that the conversion kit would lower the car too much. We do not have an alternative available for these vehicles.

Thank you, Danke, Merci, Gracias, Dank u!

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards,

Desirée van de Velde

I've bought a pair of LuftMaster replacement airbags. I'm 3 weeks post op from a hip replacement, but have managed to get the car into the workshop jacked up with wheels off and axle stands under the frame. I'm hoping to undo everything to be able to replace the leaking airbags with the Luftmasters.
I'm not familiar with air suspension but usually able to tackle suspension jobs. My handicap is I'm a little restricted in movement! My questions are:

1. The replacement bags each come with 2 new rubber rings but no instructions. Are these for the thin nylon air lines under the top plate of the air bag on replacement?
2. What secures the airbag at the top, and is there a danger of snapping anything plastic on removal or do they just rely on a recess?
3. Are the airlines able to be disconnected once the airbags are dropped a few inches as I cannot see how they connect internally to the existing air bags which are still in situ?
4. I've watched a few Youtube videos which show similar jobs but cannot find a video covering my exact suspension with self levelling to the rear only. All the videos seem to cover air bags on all four wheels with electrics and bigger air pipes in.

5. Any other hints gratefully received!

I did the job on an S212 but they are somewhat different to the S211. The bottom of the S212 units sit into a well in the suspension so not bolted in. The top of the S212 units are attached in much the same way. The S211 seems to have an electrical connection and a larger air line connection to a reservoir neither of which are on the S212.
The air lines are probably the same and the connectors do need to be replaced. They are small metal seals that fit over the air line though and not rubber though.

Maybe you are talking about the small plastic fitting that locates the top of the airbag into the suspension? Have a look at a video to see what I mean.

Here is couple of links to youtube videos on the S211 air suspension replacement:-
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It looks easy on the video but I can say that it isn't when you just have the car on axle stands and are kneeling/lying down to see & get at the units. I did in in January so it was freezing too just to add to the fun!!??
I'm not sure I would fancy the job if you didn't have full mobility -- maybe you have a hoist?

Last edited:
Fascinating.

Cheers Steve. I did see that video and got some pointers off it.

OK, I've changed the airbags with the LuftMasters. It wasn't too bad a job even with reduced mobility. I undid about half the stuff the technician did in the video and the only head scratching involved how to reconnect the fine diameter air line to the valves that I reused from the original bags. Of course you have to fit the valves to the airline first as the LuftMasters have a smaller access recessed into the top of the air spring, and then screw the top that holds the valve in place. Otherwise you cannot get a spanner in. To remove the valves from the original bags I had to drill out all the rusty splined heads.
All I had to undo to remove and refit the new airbags was the inner most wishbone bolt, the lower airbag mounting bolt, the shocker bolt and the arm (nearest the wheel) that restricts access to that innermost bolt of the wishbone. The techie in the video seem to complicate matters by removing a lot of unnecessary bits nearest the hub, including the tie bar off the anti roll bar in order to get adequate freeplay to remove and refit the bags.
When lowered to the ground, the car sat awfully low with a message in red to not drive the car. Fired it up and within two to three minutes the car was up to its pre-problem height. I may try swivelling the ride height adjuster around the roll bar to get it to sit a little higher at the back, as about a year ago the original snapped and was replaced by a better/stronger looking component. At the time I just fitted it and lived with it.
Tomorrow I'll check the car hasn't dropped which could indicate another leak. I'm presuming that with it only taking two to three minutes from totally flat and sitting low to getting back up to ride height, that the compressor is performing ok?

Cheers Steve. I did see that video and got some pointers off it.

OK, I've changed the airbags with the LuftMasters. It wasn't too bad a job even with reduced mobility. I undid about half the stuff the technician did in the video and the only head scratching involved how to reconnect the fine diameter air line to the valves that I reused from the original bags. Of course you have to fit the valves to the airline first as the LuftMasters have a smaller access recessed into the top of the air spring, and then screw the top that holds the valve in place. Otherwise you cannot get a spanner in. To remove the valves from the original bags I had to drill out all the rusty splined heads.
All I had to undo to remove and refit the new airbags was the inner most wishbone bolt, the lower airbag mounting bolt, the shocker bolt and the arm (nearest the wheel) that restricts access to that innermost bolt of the wishbone. The techie in the video seem to complicate matters by removing a lot of unnecessary bits nearest the hub, including the tie bar off the anti roll bar in order to get adequate freeplay to remove and refit the bags.
When lowered to the ground, the car sat awfully low with a message in red to not drive the car. Fired it up and within two to three minutes the car was up to its pre-problem height. I may try swivelling the ride height adjuster around the roll bar to get it to sit a little higher at the back, as about a year ago the original snapped and was replaced by a better/stronger looking component. At the time I just fitted it and lived with it.
Tomorrow I'll check the car hasn't dropped which could indicate another leak. I'm presuming that with it only taking two to three minutes from totally flat and sitting low to getting back up to ride height, that the compressor is performing ok?
Well done. I hope the issue is resolved.
When I was finished I lowered the jack a bit so that the car was roughly at the correct height and then started the engine so that the compressor started. This saved the pump having the lift the rear of the car from the lowest position.

Hi Baldbloke,

Delighted to find this thread. I have 2006 211.242 => E 200 KOMPRESSOR. Sitting down nicely due to what I think is an airbag....
I was hoping to carry out the repair using a conversion kit but like yourself have the elegance model, and I understand there is no conversion kit available.

So in order to get the car back on the road, where she belongs, a couple of queries if I may:

1. Luftmaster, I hadn't heard of these before this thread, I think I am correct in saying I need the replacement for T-model or is it the limousine???

2. Did you replace both sides, or will I get away with just one?

Any other hints or tips would be very much appreciated, like yourself, I aim to do this off axle stands!!!

Many thanks

Magoo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom