Disabling Passenger Airbag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scouser51

Car
E Class
Hi fellow enthusiasts, hoping someone out there can help. My 2018 E Class 220d seems to have an automatic detection to disable the front passenger airbag. Having installed my 8 year old grandson on his booster seat, this seemed to work although I didn’t see any warning the airbag was disabled! However, partway through the journey home, whether the grandson was fidgeting in his seat or moving around, I received a constant warning where the speed is usually shown, that the airbag was enabled!
Do I now have a fault or was it because he was moving in his seat? Can I physically switch off the front passenger airbag if so where’s the switch?
I would be grateful for a speedy response if you can help.
Many Thanks

There is no switch to disable the front passenger airbag.

First of all, why not put the child seat to the rear. Safety for the kid rather than convenience for the driver (possibly the kid too)?

What does the car manual say? You should have a badge telling it a child seat is allowed or not and if allowed, which type and how to install it.

I'm not up-to-date with different models, there used to be a receiver at the front passenger seat detecting an approved seat. I believe it now often works simply on the weight basis. The airbag is activated for an adult but not up to some weight that is less than a small kid and the child seat.

In any case, pay attention to the warning light as you have done so far. Not safe to drive if the airbag is active.

First of all, why not put the child seat to the rear. Safety for the kid rather than convenience for the driver (possibly the kid too)?

What does the car manual say? You should have a badge telling it a child seat is allowed or not and if allowed, which type and how to install it.

I'm not up-to-date with different models, there used to be a receiver at the front passenger seat detecting an approved seat. I believe it now often works simply on the weight basis. The airbag is activated for an adult but not up to some weight that is less than a small kid and the child seat.

In any case, pay attention to the warning light as you have done so far. Not safe to drive if the airbag is active.
Thanks, I agree normally he would be in the rear, but with two child seats fitted even in my E Class there is little room between the child seats for an adult. I have a long journey with two adults and two children. It seemed OK putting the 8 year old on a booster seat on my short journey yesterday but half way home the warning sign came on the the air bag was enabled. Surely something sat fault with the car sensors!

Didn’t quite check the front passenger seat as my wife was unwell, however the warning note ‘front passenger air bag enabled see op manual‘ had disappeared When I started the engine. As there was no one in the seat the normal indicator stated front air bag disabled. I’ll try and test it out before my journey but as the sensor is sensing a low load can I assume it won’t deploy the air bag even if the warning notE comes on again between the speedo and rev counter.

As above, no switch to disable the front passenger airbag on Mercs.

The only official way to do this, is IF your car was specified with the optional ISOFIX child seat system, AND you buy an MB-approved child seat with a transponder, then the transponder will disable the front passenger airbag when the MB-approved child seat is in place.

(Some sellers on eBay sell transponders that were removed from MB-approved child seats, so that you can attach it to your non-MB-approved child seat).

Last edited:
Also, MB cars have a front passenger seat occupancy sensor, which is a multi-microswitch mat inside the seat cushion.

The front passenger airbag is normally NOT activated, and will only activate it the sensor mat feels a certain minimum weight, distributed across the seat.

This is meant to prevent deployment of the front passenger air bag when the front passenger seat is unoccupied, or when it is occupied by a small child.

I believe that the messages that you saw on the dash when the child moved around in the seat, are the result of the sensor mat activating and deactivating the front passenger airbag as the weight shifted around the seat.

Also.... be aware the dash massage could be a red herring. The front passenger seat occupancy sensor is a weak point on all MB cars.

If you start getting spurious messages regarding the front passenger airbag.... then the sensor mat might be faulty and will need replacing - again, it's a common fault.

Also.... be aware the dash massage could be a red herring. The front passenger seat occupancy sensor is a weak point on all MB cars.

If you start getting spurious messages regarding the front passenger airbag.... then the sensor mat might be faulty and will need replacing - again, it's a common fault.
Thanks Mark, very informative on both your messages. If I get another message I’ll pop the car into where I ought it because I’m only weeks into the twelve month warranty!

Hi , this is what our forum is for , I had the same issue on my c207 regarding front seat passenger airbag light days off when Mrs Boyband is not in the car.

Hi , this is what our forum is for , I had the same issue on my c207 regarding front seat passenger airbag light days off when Mrs Boyband is not in the car.

The front passenger air bag on the C207 is only relevant if you have the Automatic Child Seat Recognition System (AKSE - Automatiche Kinder Sitz Erkennungssystem) and use an MB-apporved child seat.

If your car does not have this option fitted, then the light will go on briefly after engine start - then go off. This is just a self-test of the LED bulb. Other than that, the light has no function since the system that it should be working with isn't actually installed in the car.

In non-MB card where's it's possible to manually disable the front seat air bag, this light is relevant, but on MB cars is has no function whatsoever unless the optional AKSE system is fitted.

The front passenger air bag on the C207 is only relevant if you have the Automatic Child Seat Recognition System (AKSE - Automatiche Kinder Sitz Erkennungssystem) and use an MB-apporved child seat.

If your car does not have this option fitted, then the light will go on briefly after engine start - then go off. This is just a self-test of the LED bulb. Other than that, the light has no function since the system that it should be working with isn't actually installed in the car.

In non-MB card where's it's possible to manually disable the front seat air bag, this light is relevant, but on MB cars is has no function whatsoever unless the optional AKSE system is fitted.
Hi , thank you for your help.Much appreciated

And not that relevant now as it's an old thread but really the air bag shouldn't be disabled for an 8 year old sitting in a forward facing child seat. Rear seats are the ideal but front air bags should only be disabled if a rear facing seat is fitted.

As above, no switch to disable the front passenger airbag on Mercs.

The only official way to do this, is IF your car was specified with the optional ISOFIX child seat system, AND you buy an MB-approved child seat with a transponder, then the transponder will disable the front passenger airbag when the MB-approved child seat is in place.

BTB Jr used to travel in my R129 occasionally - that has no way of deactivating the passenger airbag, or fitting a child seat in the back. But it's covered in the handbook, which says it's fine with a forward-facing carrier and the passenger seat moved fully back. He's 6' 1" now so no longer an issue :D

1698136778113.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom