• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Do you have a mis-spaced number plate etc?

MSG2004

Car
GLE, AMG Line
I was reading the motoring pages on the DM site. Having just read and contributed to the "Have you seen any interesting car number plates."
I initially felt posting it on that thread but IMO it would derail the thread.
Therefore, I've posted a new thread. There are so many number plates now that even on a 5 min drive to shops, there will be at least one
vehicle with illegal number plate

From the link below (its the bit re "tipped of by the public.." that made me 🤣
In the last 18 months, it issued 2,184 notices of intended prosecution letters for doctored plates - tipped off by the public 232 times.

LINK to story

That's strange, exactly the same story is in the Sunday Times today.

Plenty of misspaced plates here in London, too. My guess is the the prosecutions are a drop in the ocean compared to the scale of the issue and drivers feel safe driving around with misspaced plates.

I've said before.... but people don't "own" number plates... you just pay for the right to use them..... the DVLA own them. Get reported to the DVLA by the police just twice for misplacing or miss shaping letters and you could lose it. Exactly what happened to my neighbour. So a NIP for using a dodgy plate is the least of your worries.... especially if your paid a few grand for it. Personally I think miss spacing is pretty high on the chav scale of uncoolness anyway..... so no I won't do it....I did once...i was young!.... but not now.

Mines mis-spaced and it hasn’t stopped me getting any fines.
I guess there is mis-spaced and taking the piss.

Are you sayings that you did get fines? 🤔

Yes well mis-spaced number plates in my view should not be a problem to the police if they can read the plate with ANPR,alot of the time they get involved when the plate shows that the car has no insurance,a prime example a short while ago was a Rolls Royce Ghost,can you imagine the glee that they were going to impound a Roller,instead the cars insurance was found to be ok,and so as always the fall back was the cars number plate,plus the front windows were too tinted,which is a offence and to me the only thing that was wrong with that car,I posted some time ago that from what I have seen the police when they are eating at a Mc Donalds or a filling station,some years ago my grandson wanted a burger and he got two ice creams as well as I waited out the police who burger in hand seemed to like my number plate but gave up after 20 mins ,in the rich scheme of things there are far more important things for the police to do.

I always think , things like miss spaced plates gives an invitation for the Police to stop you and start a “conversation” .
Chances are if your driving and your vehicle doesn’t stand out you are less likely to get stopped .

Had one on my Saab , hardly the crime of the century but the local police seemed to think i got fed up with being pulled over and when i sold the car i just left the mis-placed plate still on it.

K

I always think , things like miss spaced plates gives an invitation for the Police to stop you and start a “conversation” .
Chances are if your driving and your vehicle doesn’t stand out you are less likely to get stopped .
I’ve got no issues with being stopped. I’ve got nothing to hide.

I have one extra space on my plate RC09CLK and the local plod don't seem bothered by it. Plus it has been through lots of towns and cities up and down the country with no pulls.

in the rich scheme of things there are far more important things for the police to do.
Not sure about that. Miss spaced plate on the Range Rover, probably been on various cars for 25 years plus, normal road 30mph limit, they went past me in opposite direction for probably quarter of a mile then turned, full blue lights & siren. I stopped, put half the car on the pavement, they just blocked the road. No fine but reported to DVLA, had to send in a pic of the car with legal plates, & they said if it happened again the plate would be withdrawn. Also had to send the police a notice from an MOT station saying legal plates now fitted.
A few months prior to that, S63 with mis spaced plate, been on various cars for 15 plus years, on a dual carriageway at 70mph, saw police miles back with blue lights & siren. I thought he is in a hurry as he was probably doing well over 100mph. Got a shock when he pulled in behind me. Same carry on, no fine but reported.
As for their ANPR not picking it up, total rubbish, as both times they addressed me with my name when approaching the car.
Upshot is, sold plates & bought others which are legal:thumb:

Imagine how peed off you would be if they took away your multi thousand pound plate because of it being missed spaced.....very would be my guess. Not had a private plate for a while.... but based on my neighbours experience I would not have one that did not work with standard spacing now. His one is for sale again on the DVLA website.. which made him even more happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom